User Tag List

First 234

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I'm figuring out alcohol makes me crazy.
    Aye, its not a good thing at all really, I miss being able to drink rum and taquila sometimes, although most recently I've enjoyed a few whiskeys with a friend who enjoys whiskey too. I used to drink so much Guinness when I think about it without consequences immediately or eventually. Although when I think about it I could have been drinking water, the company was good in all those cases. Epicurious did something similar I think, making the point that it was good friends rather than good wine which made the best house parties.

I did dream, once, about being a connuisseour or appreciator of fine wines, exotic cocktails, although I cant do that now without serious health consequences, shaving days or more of my life's hour glass instead of seconds and minutes like before.

And that's what its about at the end of the day, life, artificial highs, alcohol, drugs etc. they all in the end draw the curtain on life, immediately, because your speech or efficacy is adversely effected after a brief inhibition or buzz, and eventually as your health breaks down.

You got to stay hungry

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Aye, its not a good thing at all really, I miss being able to drink rum and taquila sometimes, although most recently I've enjoyed a few whiskeys with a friend who enjoys whiskey too. I used to drink so much Guinness when I think about it without consequences immediately or eventually. Although when I think about it I could have been drinking water, the company was good in all those cases. Epicurious did something similar I think, making the point that it was good friends rather than good wine which made the best house parties.

I did dream, once, about being a connuisseour or appreciator of fine wines, exotic cocktails, although I cant do that now without serious health consequences, shaving days or more of my life's hour glass instead of seconds and minutes like before.

And that's what its about at the end of the day, life, artificial highs, alcohol, drugs etc. they all in the end draw the curtain on life, immediately, because your speech or efficacy is adversely effected after a brief inhibition or buzz, and eventually as your health breaks down.

You got to stay hungry

I like the social aspects of catching a buzz with friends, and having good conversation, or when I'm home alone and feeling happy, but I don't get that very often. Alcohol is okay for me in "qualified moderation" meaning if I'm basically in a happy mood and I don't imbibe too much (<3, or 4 at the most), otherwise, it's just not a good idea for me.

I would love to have a pub to be a part of. I'm sort of trying to do that on Monday nights here at my fav bar. It's the football night, so everyone is basically jovial and jolly and nice. As long as I don't stay too late.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I like the social aspects of catching a buzz with friends, and having good conversation, or when I'm home alone and feeling happy, but I don't get that very often. Alcohol is okay for me in "qualified moderation" meaning if I'm basically in a happy mood and I don't imbibe too much (<3, or 4 at the most), otherwise, it's just not a good idea for me.

I would love to have a pub to be a part of. I'm sort of trying to do that on Monday nights here at my fav bar. It's the football night, so everyone is basically jovial and jolly and nice. As long as I don't stay too late.
    I know what you mean, I used to frequent a sports bar on tuesday nights at university, for some reason tuesdays have always been my favourite night of the week.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    That just seems, painful.
    "I never needed to study"

*whistle innocently*
    Well aren't you a smarty pants!

It does seem a bit painful. I really don't recommend people to work and go to school unless they don't really care about the grades and look at a pass/fail system. For me, trying to keep the door open for medical school, grades are a big deal just in case. The subjects differ greatly too.. if it were arts, I would just roll out of bed no problem since it comes naturally to me.. Since math does not, studying is necessary.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

your resident asshole

Thanks for the advice guys.
    @Lark - That's some very Te advice there. I'd love to have the self-discipline to be able to follow it all.

@kyuuei - You want to go to medical school, too? Awesome!That's my goal as well. There's a very large chance it won't happen for me, though. I've met a few people who made it into medical schools and they would talk about many of their friends not making it. They also had to apply to maybe fifteen schools before making it into a couple. Looks like unless I get a 4.0 in everything (and I'm not), it's not happening. :/ Oh well, there's no harm in trying.

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Where I was coming from with that, was that you should be able to get some enjoyment out of the work if you're interested in the subject. For example, there ought to be some motivation to do the essays if they're on interesting topics. The essays that always get me, are the ones on topics that I couldn't care less about.

I mean, yes, all schoolwork is annoying to a degree. But it's a different kind of annoying, if you dislike absolutely everything about it. (Or if you're motivated by something besides the work itself; for example, in my blog, how I would avoid my Arabic work because it reminded me of class time, when class time was so traumatic.)
    Okay true, I definitely hate studying for math more than I hate studying for anatomy. And with anatomy I would sometimes get sidetracked to other exciting anatomy topics. Other math topics don’t exactly sidetrack me or get me excited. :P

Don’t even get me started on the stupidity of essays.

I can’t say that I’ve ever not done my work because it reminded me of something I dislike, though.

Well, damn! Sounds like, as an extrovert, I'm probably the wrong person to be advising you on this. I read all of those things and immediately thought "No wonder she's sitting around, at her computer, not doing any work -- she's always alone at her place without classes or work to go to or friends to hang out with!" But that's because I get energy and motivation from 1. leading a busy, faster-paced life, 2. spending time talking to people and doing things with them, and 3. having a shorter period of time to get work done, to force me to be more efficient. But if you're very introverted, then you're likely not the same way at all.
    Well I do like always having something to do. In fact, I love going out and just doing things. It usually doesn't matter what, as long as I'm out and about. And I think it’s safe to say that most everyone works “best” when they are doing something at the last minute.

I’m sure having friends would be nice, but I get along fine without any.

Simple -- just go to their office hours and ask questions. It doesn't need to feel social. My trips to office hours with professors have always been fairly focused and task-oriented. But they like that, because it shows that you're focused and motivated and that you care.
    This is probably a stupid request, but can you give me a short example dialogue of when you approach the professor? Haha. I’ve never really spoke to a professor before in person when I needed help with something or if I just wanted to ask questions in their office hours. It’s not something I feel the need to do. This is definitely something an more extraverted thing to do.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    You want to go to medical school, too? Awesome!That's my goal as well. There's a very large chance it won't happen for me, though. I've met a few people who made it into medical schools and they would talk about many of their friends not making it. They also had to apply to maybe fifteen schools before making it into a couple. Looks like unless I get a 4.0 in everything (and I'm not), it's not happening. :/ Oh well, there's no harm in trying.
    There really isn't. High grades certainly benefit, but a low grade here and there won't completely obliterate you. Your MCAT score is really, really important though, so studying for that and going to cram schools for it is very much-so encouraged. If you have low grades though in science-related fields like chemistry and biology and you truly did make an effort in those fields, I wonder if maybe you ought to consider a medical-related field like nursing or surgical technology or something like that. Doing work in those fields will get you the more 'practical' side of medical care careers and they're much easier to get into and train for than medical school (not to mention MUCH more cost-efficient). So there's no need to give up trying for medical school. I, personally, plan to try for a biological sciences degree with an emphasis on nursing, and my minor will be in Computer Sciences. I'll be taking French for the fun of it.

Seriously, aiming high WON'T steer you wrong--just be very accepting of where the chips fall when you shoot that high. If you don't 'make it', it will still leave yourself very available for other options.

But, the other side of that token is, don't aim high and not dedicate yourself to it. I really, REALLY have to try with school and it becomes more than a full-time job for me. I like the education itself, but the work load is very different from what I am accustomed to doing. I really hit a point where I thought it was a ceiling for me. High school came so easily to me that college was a huge shock to my system. The truth is, I just never had to study or *try* in high school, whereas I have to do both of those in college. I had to actively look for ways to adjust to the pace and information.

This is probably a stupid request, but can you give me a short example dialogue of when you approach the professor? Haha. I’ve never really spoke to a professor before in person when I needed help with something or if I just wanted to ask questions in their office hours. It’s not something I feel the need to do. This is definitely something an more extraverted thing to do.
    I know this wasn't directed at me, but professors are typically VERY willing and helpful. The only catch is you must be good on your word--you cannot get frustrated, bad-mouth their assignments, turn in assignments late or not at all, not participate in class, and then expect them to show up and help you. They have office hours, and they're usually willing to work with you even outside of them, and many of them set up after-class study sessions for QandA topics immediately before or after their classes, especially if the class requests them. Don't be shy to go to them for help, their job is to educate you, but do your part and listen to them and participate in their instructions. Even difficult professors are still willing to help you--I've found even professors I disliked were still willing to work with me. Internet-based classes were the worst though, I don't recommend them unless you're very strong in the subject matter because the professors are either REALLY helpful (almost too helpful to make the class easier than necessary) or really absent and crass.

A typical conversation: I approach the professor, usually before or after a class, or I'll send them an email, and say that I have difficulties in a particular subject matter. "Misses Humpledink, I am having trouble understanding covalent bonds and your calculations. Your class instruction is really helpful, but when I go do the work on my own I seem to lose grasp of the concept. I was wondering if you could help tutor me after class or during your office hours to help coach me through the subject." Be very honest about what you are weak in and need help with, as well as what you get so that they know where to guide you.

For every math class I've ever had in college outside of college algebra: "Mr. Snickerdoodle, I know this is the first class, but I wanted to let you know now that I do struggle in this area, and I wanted to know if you typically do any study groups or tutor before or after classes." He'll typically tell you his teaching style and how he helps his students.

The best tool though for difficult subjects is the tutoring assistance most colleges offer students. They're other college students that excel in the subject that can help you typically, and I used to go there every single week to go my homework in math so that I could ask questions on the subjects I had trouble with.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I would contribute, but @kyuuei just covered all the bases for me.

Listen to her, @DisneyGeek!
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Glycerine

You don't have to have a 4.0. Along with asking for help, you can build rapport with the professors and then in turn, they can write recommendations and help with finding internships. The internships can help offset a lower GPA. A high GPA (3.8-4.0) with minimal experience is less competitive than a moderately high GPA (3.6-3.8) with some experience

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I'm a college freshman and even though I've been doing this for over a month now, I haven't adjusted. I'm always very overwhelmed and I struggle to keep up with the workload. Currently I might be pulling an all-nighter.

I know I'm not the only one out there who has stress management problems. Share your tips here.
    Time management is easier than stress management. try it out.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

A window to the soul

Tear up the calendar you bought. Throw it all away! Start over!

Worth it.