User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

For me, what works for college:

- Do my work at the college as much as possible. The environment keeps me on track, I find a corner in the quiet sections of the library with a computer. Homework, research, etc. It all gets done at the college directly after the class if I can help it, generally my schedule worked thusly: arrive a bit early and study, Harder class early afternoon, 2 hour break for homework or studying, easier class evening, more homework and study. Rinse and repeat the next two days with the same classes, and 1 non-memorization-intensive class (like English) the fifth day followed by 2 hours dedicated to homework and study for the class.
    - Bring a snack to class to stay alert and alive. Water helps too.
    - Participate actively in the class, and take every assignment as seriously as you would a test. Treat it like a test you can ask questions in. Being active in class is the best study method ever imo.
    - Arrive early and leave late. Every time.
    - Sleep. A ton. Make sure you really set time aside to get a good 8 hours (at least) of rest. Don't sleep TOO much, but get CONSISTENT sleep at the same hours each night as much as possible.
    - Once you get the syllabus for each class, combine them all and create an "important dates" calendar of assignments due for all the classes and post like 10 of them everywhere. I had one on my bathroom mirror next to where I get ready in the morning, one in my car, one taped to each notebook, and a picture of one on my phone.
    - Never go out the night before school. Schedule college in the same manner as a work schedule--especially if you have a work schedule as well. Make sure you set yourself up for success with at least one night being available before a day you have off. That way, if you go have a social life, you can recover the next day. I went to school 5 days a week, with a short Friday to get things done and go out--Saturday to recover, and Sunday to get some household things done and errands before the week ahead of me.
    - Speaking of, Recover. Make sure you have an 'off' day for yourself. Do your homework, research papers, school work, exercising, cooking, etc. during the days you're up and moving anyways. Having a day you KNOW youll get to relax, even if you created it yourself, is very necessary. Don't put things off until that day, make it a priority.
    - Speed read assignments. No one is going to read a chapter and memorize it the first time. It's pointless and a waste of time. Speed read through the chapter, highlighting things you find important along the way (don't paint the damn thing yellow, just a word here and there). Do the quizzes in the back of the chapter from memory as much as possible. After that, look up the answers and check them all. After that, go through again and just take notice of what the paragraphs are called and what they are talking about and understand what it is highlighting and explaining. Take notes of these things in your notebook. When you need to reference a concept, you'll know the general area to find it in. The things that keep getting emphasized in class and in the quizzes are the things that you'll need to know the most for decent grades. Just 'reading' a chapter is almost never going to work in your favor and takes just as long as this method.
    - Finally, exercise. At least 30 minutes a day, pop in a DVD or go down to the gym they have available for students and get some movement. I usually went after my homework for my last class. When you're mentally drained, getting that adrenaline going and that blood moving keeps you from feeling sluggish and perks you up for the rest of the day. Which, coincidentally, keeps you from procrastinating on other tasks.

This is what helps me anyways, and the principles I intend to follow next semester when I am doing self-study books and programs to prepare me for university. When I followed these principles, I was never stressed about college outside of Finals (which I stress about no matter what) and I did focus on some other rules and principles for studying which I've posted elsewhere I believe.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Exercise, yoga, and rest. I can pound through things but at a certain point I won't be able to think straight unless I step back a minute. The key for me is being okay or aknowliging the stree so I can address it rather than trying to act like I can handle it all. Sometimes I just have to stop an distract myself so I can come back fresh. I tell myself "I have to stay up all night tonight but right now I'm going to guve myself an hour to do something mindless an totally unrelated". I also never tell myself that I won't make it. Whatever it takes I get it done. And I tell myself that. "Yes this I hard but eventually it will be in the past so just keep chugging until your on the other side of it".

Also talk to othe students! I wanted to kill myself when I was a freshman. Then I met my best friend ad found out she also felt like killin herself. It helps to cent and know you aren't the only person who feels lost or unable to handle everything. Someone else who is experiencing the same thins.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    For me, what works for college:

- Do my work at the college as much as possible. The environment keeps me on track, I find a corner in the quiet sections of the library with a computer. Homework, research, etc. It all gets done at the college directly after the class if I can help it, generally my schedule worked thusly: arrive a bit early and study, Harder class early afternoon, 2 hour break for homework or studying, easier class evening, more homework and study. Rinse and repeat the next two days with the same classes, and 1 non-memorization-intensive class (like English) the fifth day followed by 2 hours dedicated to homework and study for the class.
    - Bring a snack to class to stay alert and alive. Water helps too.
    - Participate actively in the class, and take every assignment as seriously as you would a test. Treat it like a test you can ask questions in. Being active in class is the best study method ever imo.
    - Arrive early and leave late. Every time.
    - Sleep. A ton. Make sure you really set time aside to get a good 8 hours (at least) of rest. Don't sleep TOO much, but get CONSISTENT sleep at the same hours each night as much as possible.
    - Once you get the syllabus for each class, combine them all and create an "important dates" calendar of assignments due for all the classes and post like 10 of them everywhere. I had one on my bathroom mirror next to where I get ready in the morning, one in my car, one taped to each notebook, and a picture of one on my phone.
    - Never go out the night before school. Schedule college in the same manner as a work schedule--especially if you have a work schedule as well. Make sure you set yourself up for success with at least one night being available before a day you have off. That way, if you go have a social life, you can recover the next day. I went to school 5 days a week, with a short Friday to get things done and go out--Saturday to recover, and Sunday to get some household things done and errands before the week ahead of me.
    - Speaking of, Recover. Make sure you have an 'off' day for yourself. Do your homework, research papers, school work, exercising, cooking, etc. during the days you're up and moving anyways. Having a day you KNOW youll get to relax, even if you created it yourself, is very necessary. Don't put things off until that day, make it a priority.
    - Speed read assignments. No one is going to read a chapter and memorize it the first time. It's pointless and a waste of time. Speed read through the chapter, highlighting things you find important along the way (don't paint the damn thing yellow, just a word here and there). Do the quizzes in the back of the chapter from memory as much as possible. After that, look up the answers and check them all. After that, go through again and just take notice of what the paragraphs are called and what they are talking about and understand what it is highlighting and explaining. Take notes of these things in your notebook. When you need to reference a concept, you'll know the general area to find it in. The things that keep getting emphasized in class and in the quizzes are the things that you'll need to know the most for decent grades. Just 'reading' a chapter is almost never going to work in your favor and takes just as long as this method.
    - Finally, exercise. At least 30 minutes a day, pop in a DVD or go down to the gym they have available for students and get some movement. I usually went after my homework for my last class. When you're mentally drained, getting that adrenaline going and that blood moving keeps you from feeling sluggish and perks you up for the rest of the day. Which, coincidentally, keeps you from procrastinating on other tasks.

This is what helps me anyways, and the principles I intend to follow next semester when I am doing self-study books and programs to prepare me for university. When I followed these principles, I was never stressed about college outside of Finals (which I stress about no matter what) and I did focus on some other rules and principles for studying which I've posted elsewhere I believe.
    That just seems, painful.
    "I never needed to study"

*whistle innocently*
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Eat That Frog.

Just saying a lot of stress comes from dreading something and sometimes it good to just man up and face it or do it then the stress is gone.

Organisation and planning skills can help too, plot things out someplace so you dont need to rely upon memory, makes lots of notes and to do lists. Work through them, become task centred and solution focused in the process, treat set backs as temporary not permanent.

Get a calender, a contact rolledex, a notepad. Use them all. Even if you have them all on your phone or computer already a hardcopy back up is good, keep it all easily accessible and easy to use.

Create and keep a good filing system, I know, I know, "your papers please!!", its the nazis, its bureaucracy, its also the way of the world and keeping good records yourself can reduce friction and most of the time when you're smarter or more organised than the average bureaucrat and can do their jobs for them virtually they'll stand out of the way and let you. Most of them are temping or low paid and not paid enough to care anyway.

Make the filing system accessible, easy to use and easy to cheat with, so you can put papers in a place and revisit it all when you are in the mood if you're not in the mood but in the mean time they wont get mislaid and are easily to hand if and when you need them.

Throw things out. Seriously. Declutter big style and be merciless about it, pretend you're moving house and have to do it with a single cart and horse. Also dont reclutter with other things.

If you're buying stuff, buy experiences, dont buy things. Things take up space, they require maintence, they can be stolen, they can require insurance etc. etc. Experiences, particularly if they are shared, you will be able to talk about and reminisce about. Things, no one thinks a lot about things.

Aim not to have much but to be much instead. Learn things. Meet people. Have a lot of interests and diversions and hobbies.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Most of the times, all it takes for me it to breath in once, consciously, and just retake myself or reassess the situation.

I wonder where evolution went wrong and created stress. Stress appears to be a sign that says "Shit happened, go deal with it". But more often than not, it results in the exact opposite. In that it prevents people from making the neccesary actions to deal with it by keeping them in some kind of metaphorical stress bubble.

Needless to say, stress has never been a big issue for me.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Eat That Frog.

Just saying a lot of stress comes from dreading something and sometimes it good to just man up and face it or do it then the stress is gone.

Organisation and planning skills can help too, plot things out someplace so you dont need to rely upon memory, makes lots of notes and to do lists. Work through them, become task centred and solution focused in the process, treat set backs as temporary not permanent.

Get a calender, a contact rolledex, a notepad. Use them all. Even if you have them all on your phone or computer already a hardcopy back up is good, keep it all easily accessible and easy to use.

Create and keep a good filing system, I know, I know, "your papers please!!", its the nazis, its bureaucracy, its also the way of the world and keeping good records yourself can reduce friction and most of the time when you're smarter or more organised than the average bureaucrat and can do their jobs for them virtually they'll stand out of the way and let you. Most of them are temping or low paid and not paid enough to care anyway.

Make the filing system accessible, easy to use and easy to cheat with, so you can put papers in a place and revisit it all when you are in the mood if you're not in the mood but in the mean time they wont get mislaid and are easily to hand if and when you need them.

Throw things out. Seriously. Declutter big style and be merciless about it, pretend you're moving house and have to do it with a single cart and horse. Also dont reclutter with other things.

If you're buying stuff, buy experiences, dont buy things. Things take up space, they require maintence, they can be stolen, they can require insurance etc. etc. Experiences, particularly if they are shared, you will be able to talk about and reminisce about. Things, no one thinks a lot about things.

Aim not to have much but to be much instead. Learn things. Meet people. Have a lot of interests and diversions and hobbies.
    Good advice. If only I could buckle down to follow it consistently.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Alcohol.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I'm figuring out alcohol makes me crazy.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

1. The beach - mass bodies of water contain negative ions that relax and soothe.
    2. Long walks and looking into the distance - best done with horizons
    3. Green tea - the magic elixir
    4. Plenty of water and exercise - one soothes the emotions, the other promotes the happies all in ya body
    5. Frequent orgasms with a good build up - every other day is optimal, and it takes the vinegar out of anything you say
    I N V I C T U S

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Good advice. If only I could buckle down to follow it consistently.
    I try to follow it but I know I dont, although I know that a couple of times when I've traced how I've destressed from stressful situations one or a few of these things have been the reason.

Also good company, I couldnt rate the therapeutic value of friends highly enough, I dont mean for venting too, that's part of it but people who're removed from any given stressful situation or who are not stressful people themselves who value you for being you. That does you the power of good. Perhaps its just because I'm an extrovert that I feel that so strongly but its absolutely true.