User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Is the phrase "Camel Jockey" offensive?

Hey, I'm just curious about this. Because I saw someone else get an infraction on a different forum for using this phrase, because it's supposedly "racist." (The post in question had no other slurs in it, and the term was being applied to terrorists anyway.)

Do people on this forum think that this term is racist? Any other phrases that come to mind that are controversial? (I think the term "Indian giver" is a more racial term that has lost a lot of popularity over the years, although its origins leave it in doubt as to whether it was referring to Indians, white people, or both.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

The Iron Giant

I guess it depends on context. Sand monkey is worse, so is rag head or towel head. I think it's pretty mild. If someone of middle Eastern descent wants to chime in, I'm curious to hear what they think. It sounds like the moderator in question felt it was being used disparagingly in an ethnic context.

The Iron Giant

Oh, and English is peppered with terms that are questionable but acceptable like Indian giver and gyp. Irish twins... it's all over the place.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

yeah, "gyp" is another word that seems pretty common without some people realizing it's a derivative of Gypsy.

But the post was as I've stated -- it was just a slang word used to refer to "terrorists" specifically, not Arab people as a whole.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Of course it's offensive.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    But the post was as I've stated -- it was just a slang word used to refer to "terrorists" specifically, not Arab people as a whole.
    I'm wondering if you read this back whether you'll figure out what's wrong with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It doesn't matter. It's not about them being terrorists, it's about them being of middle eastern descent. It's not like they were called "bombinators" or something. Let's say the terrorist was African. Would it suddenly be OK to call them a spear chucker, just because they're a terrorist? Ooh, now I'm reminded of when the planes hit the trade center and a video captured some onlooker saying something like "fucking sand niggers!" That was live on the news, and the people in the studio apologized profusely for that.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    It doesn't matter. It's not about them being terrorists, it's about them being of middle eastern descent. It's not like they were called "bombinators" or something. Let's say the terrorist was African. Would it suddenly be OK to call them a spear chucker, just because they're a terrorist? Ooh, now I'm reminded of when the planes hit the trade center and a video captured some onlooker saying something like "fucking sand niggers!" That was live on the news, and the people in the studio apologized profusely for that.
    Well, the problem with that last bit (to me) is the "fucking" and "nigger" part, the "sand" is just along for the ride. Those two words are blatantly in the "offensive" category. I had just never actually heard the term before, and so I parsed it literally... aside from my Ne ping where I briefly imagined some old Warner Brothers cartoon with a bunch of guys actually racing camels on a race track.

I don't have an issue with people who race horses, and the only similar terms I've heard are things like "space jockey" (in a sci fi context) or disc jockey. I also come from an area where winning "dairy princess" is an honor and I wouldn't be fazed out by being called a corn-husker or cow farmer (which to me are similar phrases in content -- they specify where I came from, and it only refers to white people, but I find them more amusing than insulting).

Whatever. Thanks for taking a moment to explain your thoughts on it.

WALMART

Ridiculously obvious question.

MBTI
    INFJ

I heard this said a lot when I was younger and lived near an Arab community and it was practically never said by people with friendly intentions.

It was almost like a code flag that racists would use without being entirely overt about it. Use of the term would basically advertise one's sentiment and kind of test for like minded people.