User Tag List

12 Last

Default Do you get... Thinking streaks?

Compared to when I was ~13-16, my mind feels "dirty." I seldom can think clearly nowadays, and by clearly I mean good memory and general awareness of the surroundings. When I was younger, I was very aware of my surroundings and generally had great memory. Nowadays, I can forget why I walked into a room or forget the information I know during a conversation. My thinking process is significantly slower too.

By "thinking streaks" I mean days when I can think very clearly and remember... everything. I can remember precisely what I did and where I was 12 years ago, what someone said a year ago, what I've said 5 years ago, etc.. I can make very quick and accurate decisions too. It feels as if my brain is in hyper-mode. Even waking up feels like that - one of those days the nigh before I slept for 3 hours, and yet I have opened my eyes and instantly could think very clearly. It was winter, -10C and oddly I wasn't even cold taking out the trash (the trash bin is about 5min away) and I was with only two thin shirts. Usually I'm cold with a thick shirt and a coat.

In short, for a day, two, three, once or twice a year, I feel like my brain has turned into a computer: thinking absolutely clearly and very quickly, incredible memory, amazing perception.

Two questions for you:

1. Do you experience something like this (second and third paragraphs)?
    2. Have you experienced the "downfall" described in the first paragraph?

I'm just wondering if this is normal or there's a cause for this...

MBTI
    INFJ

Yeah I get that. Both of them. I call it cleaning out the cobwebs.

I also learned that not stressing over the cobwebs makes it easier to get rid of them later. I used to stress about my mind getting dull, it was also depressing, but now it doesn't bother me because I know I can get rid of whatever it is that is gumming up the works.

It's kinda like with my puzzle cubes. Some days I can solve it in 30 seconds. Other days I just have to look at it and go 'duuhhhhh what?' but I realized that if I don't fight to figure it out, the solution comes to me kinda like an epiphany.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah I get that. Both of them. I call it cleaning out the cobwebs.

I also learned that not stressing over the cobwebs makes it easier to get rid of them later. I used to stress about my mind getting dull, it was also depressing, but now it doesn't bother me because I know I can get rid of whatever it is that is gumming up the works.

It's kinda like with my puzzle cubes. Some days I can solve it in 30 seconds. Other days I just have to look at it and go 'duuhhhhh what?' but I realized that if I don't fight to figure it out, the solution comes to me kinda like an epiphany.
    I do admit that I am stressing more and more about my mind getting dull. I don't know why that is, that's why I've created this thread - while wondering if this is "normal" or not...

My days are mostly divided into three types: "okay" thinking capabilities, "poor" thinking capabilities and "great" thinking capabilities. About 2/5 is okay, 2/5 is poor and 1/5 is great. Maybe the ratio for "great" is a bit understated. Then goes the genius(?) thinking capabilities for a few days a year. It's odd. And I am stressing about the fact that there are so much "poor" days and so little "great" days.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Typoz View Post
    1. Do you experience something like this (second and third paragraphs)?
    I dunno...maybe. I guess if I'm really awake and full of energy I can be a little bit like this, but not really to that extent. Oh also...I do find that sleeping for a very short amount of time (like the three hours you mentioned) puts me into "very awake" mode. Perhaps your body is just trying to push itself when it is low on fuel.

2. Have you experienced the "downfall" described in the first paragraph?
    I wouldn't call it a "downfall" because I'm always like this. I'm very absent-minded and I tend to think quite slowly, so I usually have no idea what is going on around me. It's kind of funny because I'm a sensor.

It sounds to me like you're just normal and stressing out a bit too much over this. Everyone has good days and bad days. It's only a worry if your mental state continues to decline drastically and never bounces back.

Anew Leaf

I have what I consider "objective streaks" wherein I disengage from my usual emotional state and I just look at everything in black and white terms.

It would probably be alarming if I felt anything.

MBTI
    STP

I am always thinking. Part of being dom Ti. You know how people always put there goals out there and it comepletely drives them. Well my thoughts are always out there and it completely drives me. So its just one constant thinking streak.
    Im out, its been fun

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I dunno...maybe. I guess if I'm really awake and full of energy I can be a little bit like this, but not really to that extent. Oh also...I do find that sleeping for a very short amount of time (like the three hours you mentioned) puts me into "very awake" mode. Perhaps your body is just trying to push itself when it is low on fuel.
    When I sleep for 3 or so hours at other times, I usually am tired and barely able to work on something even VERY remotely monotonic. Even something as a video game, a shooter, in 30-90s can make me very sleepy.

I wouldn't call it a "downfall" because I'm always like this. I'm very absent-minded and I tend to think quite slowly, so I usually have no idea what is going on around me. It's kind of funny because I'm a sensor.
    Well I am comparing me to me before... To me this is a huge downfall.

It sounds to me like you're just normal and stressing out a bit too much over this. Everyone has good days and bad days. It's only a worry if your mental state continues to decline drastically and never bounces back.
    It is continually declining... Or it more accurately it stays at a certain (how I see it - far) declination point. It lasts long sometimes. To remember school, in physics class we calculate "big" numbers: most of the days I could sit for 5 minutes and still don't have the answer, some days I could get the answer in a short period of time; I haven't been in the "ultra" state on the days when I had physics class.

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    I am always thinking. Part of being dom Ti. You know how people always put there goals out there and it comepletely drives them. Well my thoughts are always out there and it completely drives me. So its just one constant thinking streak.
    You should've read the post. Your answer is irrelevant to the question.

MBTI
    STP

You should've read the post. Your answer is irrelevant to the question.
    I should have because none of what you said to me is thinking. My memory is hit or miss 99% of the time. I take tests really fast because I either know or I dont. My thinking can become so loud as to overtake what I am currently doing and I lose my surroundings.

To me thinking isnt related to memory, memory is just a small part of it. Lack of being aware of surroundings is when my thinking becomes focused on something else. So its just related in a round about way, I would not really tie taking in things from your surrounding and making instant decisions as thinking. Its actually the lack of thinking when it happens quickly like that. Seems more like you are referring to a clear vision, not thought.

edit: had to fix my posts, was mising a few key words that made it confusing.
    Im out, its been fun

your resident asshole

When I sleep for 3 or so hours at other times, I usually am tired and barely able to work on something even VERY remotely monotonic. Even something as a video game, a shooter, in 30-90s can make me very sleepy.
    This isn't exactly unusual. Sometimes your brain tries to go into overdrive with little sleep and sometimes it's just like, "F**k you, man. I need my sleep."

Well I am comparing me to me before... To me this is a huge downfall.
    It doesn't really sound like it to me, but you know yourself better than I do. Everything you are describing sounds like normal fluctuations in cognition.

It is continually declining... Or it more accurately it stays at a certain (how I see it - far) declination point. It lasts long sometimes. To remember school, in physics class we calculate "big" numbers: most of the days I could sit for 5 minutes and still don't have the answer, some days I could get the answer in a short period of time; I haven't been in the "ultra" state on the days when I had physics class.
    Maybe this is just a bad example, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary with this. Sometimes you are going to grasp a concept right away and sometimes you aren't.

When I meant declining, I meant this as a major decline akin to neurological disorders like Alzheimer's, which you don't appear to have in any way. I really shouldn't have written it, as it seems to be scaring you.

You sound like you're just thinking about this to much, but if you're really concerned, you could always see a neurologist.

I'm willing to bet that he'll tell you you're just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by _Poki_ View Post
    I should have because none of what you said to me is thinking. My memory is hit or miss 99% of the time. I take tests really fast because I either know or I dont. My thinking can become so loud as to overtake what I am currently doing and I lose my surroundings.

To me thinking isnt related to memory, memory is just a small part of it. Lack of being aware of surroundings is when my thinking becomes focused on something else. So its just related in a round about way, I would not really tie taking in things from your surrounding and making instant decisions as thinking. Its actually the lack of thinking when it happens quickly like that. Seems more like you are referring to a clear vision, not thought.

edit: had to fix my posts, was mising a few key words that made it confusing.
    I'm referring to clear mind, which results in both thought and awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    This isn't exactly unusual. Sometimes your brain tries to go into overdrive with little sleep and sometimes it's just like, "F**k you, man. I need my sleep."
    The overdrive has happened only once when I lacked sleep. Other times I slept as usual.

Underlined:

It doesn't really sound like it to me, but you know yourself better than I do. Everything you are describing sounds like normal fluctuations in cognition.
    That's... Big fluctuations. There's gotta be a reason for that.

Maybe this is just a bad example, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary with this. Sometimes you are going to grasp a concept right away and sometimes you aren't.

When I meant declining, I meant this as a major decline akin to neurological disorders like Alzheimer's, which you don't appear to have in any way. I really shouldn't have written it, as it seems to be scaring you.

You sound like you're just thinking about this to much, but if you're really concerned, you could always see a neurologist.

I'm willing to bet that he'll tell you you're just fine.
    Seeing a few docs at the best facilities is one of the first things I'm going to do when I will start earning money. Not only for my cognitive function, but for various physical things as well.

Anyway, I'm not talking about grasping a concept. I'm talking about calculating what, for example, is 26*11 or 2.23*7.34 or 12*2.37. Grasping a new concept and doing simple calculations in your head are two completely different things.