User Tag List

First 12

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    No. I don't mean how do you learn to draw, or paint, or play music, or photograph, or any such thing.

I am not asking about the mechanics of whatever medium you choose for your art.

What I am asking, specifically, is how you express yourself in ways that are uniquely you?
    I try my best to remove inner restrictions that prevent me from expressing myself to my best capacity. Fear is my big Achilles Heel. Fear of failure, success, rejection, acceptance, all hold their sway at times.

But, oh, there are those moments when such an act does produce something different and special... and those rare glimpses into another realm make it worth the price I pay in the interim.

I create my best art through writing. The key, I find, is that I have to do my best with being as honest and open as possible, and that sets me free to create something special.

I also draw and paint. I never cared for being realistic in such things... the world can be seen in that way by everyone. No, what I always have to do is try and show people how I see the world. How I see color, and light, and shadow, and shapes. I want people to see the beauty I find everywhere... to have a chance at sharing my view with someone else. And there are these small moments when I achieve that and it is so wonderful to experience.

I want to invite people into my world and show them around.

garbage

Iteratively. I start out with some sort of inspiration (triggered externally or internally, on a huge variety of subjects), put something down on paper, get further inspired with what I've placed in front of me, and iterate. If I can't make something work, I've got no problem either changing direction or scrapping it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

post as a semi-anonymous magnification of myself on various internet forums

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    I don't.
    If you choose not to express yourself, aren't you still expressing yourself in a way?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Make plan -> change plan -> initiate plan -> disregard plan -> make new plan while working -> disregard that too
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

generally I start with either a found image or dig through pictures i've created. I selected details from it and then magnifying or repeating them, basically taking what I find visually significant, fusing it and deleting everything else. Introducing some organizing formal element (color, texture, line). I like when formal elements can be enjoyed just for themselves. I collect scarps of things and generally use whatever Is on hand. I like surfaces that art basic white paper or canvas. old cardboard, wood, scrap mattboard. Generally I work small, at a desk.

Very crucial I think is allowing a drawing/painting to be what it is. I can appreciate but I don't like or see the point of photorealism and creating "windows onto scenes". I like when the subjects of drawings deconstruct in a way that highlights the drawing making process. That beings said I think draughtsman skill and technique are important. I always uses references and like things that are drawn well. That seems contradictory but I guess I just like the sweet spot where technique is apparent but it's not taking over. Everything excluded looks like a calculated edit rather than an overlooked detail. The oddities being highlighted if the rest of a drawing makes sense.

I don't really like to start with ideas. I like to experiment. I like to make "drawn collages".

I don't think art needs to be so self-expressive, at least not emotionally. No one will ever interpret things in exactly the same way. I like art that is ambiguous or emotionally neutral.

MBTI
    IntP
    Enneagram
    =)
    Socionics
    =)

my art is an explosion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Iteratively. I start out with some sort of inspiration (triggered externally or internally, on a huge variety of subjects), put something down on paper, get further inspired with what I've placed in front of me, and iterate. If I can't make something work, I've got no problem either changing direction or scrapping it.
    Yeah that is similar to me. Start with a desire to create something, some inspiration. Make it, refine it, etc.