User Tag List

WALMART

Default ever feel pretentious?

Tonight I made a statement playing beer pong and someone took an English accent and mocked me the entire game we played.

I don't remember what I said, something trivial about pouring beers having mathematics behind it.

I've been kinda put off since, especially given the thoughts I've been having. Am I alone?

Point is: I'm always feeling shitty about the things I decide to say. I'm drunk. So whatever. I forget I have a blog sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Tonight I made a statement playing beer pong and someone took an English accent and mocked me the entire game we played.

I don't remember what I said, something trivial about pouring beers having mathematics behind it.

I've been kinda put off since, especially given the thoughts I've been having. Am I alone?

Point is: I'm always feeling shitty about the things I decide to say. I'm drunk. So whatever. I forget I have a blog sometimes
    No man, its fine, there's a hell of a lot of people who act this way but they're envious pricks who cover their ignorance by attacking others.

They've got an inferiority complex, that kind of thing can be catching too so dont allow it to spread to you like a contagion.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Many people, especially young competitive men, will take comments that show intelligence or sophisticated thinking to be a claim to superiority. They think that your motivation for saying something that sounds intelligent must be to look intelligent in-front of others, as this is the only motivation that would move them to do the same. So they apply humour to "call you out" on your pretension, socially pressuring you into what they see as normal behaviour.

Clearly it worked! You were made to feel pretentious.

pre·ten·sion/priˈtenCHən/
    Noun:
    A claim or the assertion of a claim to something.

You were made to feel your motivations were those the pressurer imagined for you. (That you were making a claim to intelligence, rather than just being yourself) You are made to forget you acted out of your own nature. This is damaging, as it will encourage you to disassociate yourself from that which is you.

Either make a mental note to be resistant to such social pressures or find other, less insecure, people to spend your time with.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post

I can relate unfortunately. I am, for some reason, an easy target. I do not do that to other people though, so I never understand why they do that to me...why do I have to be crucified because of one thing that I've said?....One night I said the word bitch and crap in the same sentence. And someone made a comment immediately afterwards about saying those two words in the same sentence. They were trying to make the point that because I said the word bitch, i should have equally paired it with the word shit...or something(weirdo)...people are straight up idiots. I probably will never forgive that person, and never talk to them again(It was the first and only night we met)...but I seriously hated her at that moment for that and hates what she represents...Who the hell cares?...why is that a big deal?...why do people have to bring others down just for something stupid they said? immaturity
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

Quote Originally Posted by Urarienev View Post
    They were trying to make the point that because I said the word bitch, i should have equally paired it with the word shit...or something(weirdo)...people are straight up idiots.
    Since you used the word 'bitch', it necessitates using the word 'shit'? Could anyone actually say that with a straight face?

garbage

Waiting for someone to post "Look, it's just that I'm so smart and these people can't handle me."

I dunno. I tend to slip into using pretty formal language when I speak, and I also actively try my best to articulate clearly. I try not to use "big words" for the sake of doing so, but sometimes you need more precise language to get a point across crisply.

As a result, some people have thought that I'm from England (?), and some have told me that I'm just trying to sound smart.

I just like to communicate as clearly as possible because clear communication is important to me

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I don't ever feel pretentious, but I've sounded like it before and people have called me out.

I don't mean to - I only recently learned how to let people know I'm being sarcastic, and I usually use less common words because I think it fits better.

MBTI
    INFJ

I once commented about how a stack of boxes was stacked precariously - and it was. It just naturally came out that way. My manager made fun of me for using 'big words'.

I almost said "Fuck you. That's how I talk. I have a vocabulary. Precarious is a normal word to me."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

In the future, just do what they do in rap songs, drop a 'M*ther F*cker' to keep it real. It works.