User Tag List

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Various Practical Odds -n- Ends

Not sure how much mileage this thread will get, or if we had something like it in the past, but I thought I'd dump in helpful bits of info I've found out that are practical in terms of how items work or what can fix something.

For example:

Opening All of Your Car Windows Using Your Key Fob

Many cars apparently have a command on your key fob that if you press it correctly, you can lower all four of your car windows at once. I had my Honda Accord for 4-5 years before figuring this out. For the Honda Accord (and potentially for many others), you click the Unlock button once, then press and hold the Unlock button. After a second or two, all four windows will start to lower... as long as you hold down the button.

This is helpful in the summer, when the inside of your car is like a blast furnace and you want to release some of the heat before you actually reach your car. You can roll down the windows from 50 feet away and it'll be at least a little more cooled down than it would have been otherwise.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Getting Sound on your PS3-> TV HDMI Connection

As another example, I just moved over the weekend, and when I hooked my PS3 up to my TV/monitor with an HDMI cable, it would no longer play sound -- I got the video, but I couldn't make the sound to work.

I read online that I could hold in the power button on the PS3 (the actual power button on the device itself) while it was on Standby (red light) mode, and this would reset everything. Lo and behold, I got a message on screen asking me if I wanted to reset the HDMI settings. I answered yes, and when the system booted up, the sound now worked.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

This thing reads engine diagnostic codes. Supposedly, it save hundreds of dollars from many car mechanics.

http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Read.../dp/B005C6KIVS

garbage

I love practical tips. I hate things that are a pain in the ass. Looking forward to sharing.

I replaced the light switches that control the outside lights with switches that operate on a timer (with some slight randomization in time to deter burglars). That way, I don't have to turn them on myself and they're waiting for me when I get home!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    This thing reads engine diagnostic codes. Supposedly, it save hundreds of dollars from many car mechanics.
    That might be worth a look.

As a side note, funny, I still have a stupid light on, on my dash... the mechanic never turned it off after inspecting the car (they have to do it manually, I think), and i have no clue how to turn it off.

garbage

I use strands linguine to stir coffee. And then I can just eat the linguine when I'm done with it. It's less of a pain in the ass than coffee stirrers or spoons.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I love all those lifehacker things. I usually forget to actually do them, but they're cool to learn.

These are 2 collections of links that some people may find as interesting as I did - here and here
    -end of thread-