User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which comes first, thought or emotion? chicken or egg?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • thought; chicken

3 30.00%
  • thought; egg

0 0%
  • emotion; chicken

2 20.00%
  • emotion; egg

5 50.00%
123 Last

Default Which comes first, thought or emotion? (also chicken or egg?)

I have my own thoughts on this--I find it amusing to think about.

I was wondering what others would say.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Emotion. Chicken and egg is a loop.

Emotions = unconscious, exist before the consciousness takes place. Thoughts = conscious, act on the former.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Emotions = unconscious, exist before the consciousness takes place. Thoughts = conscious, act on the former.
    Exactly. Since there is neuroscientific evidence for it, too, this is not really up for debate either.

Ginkgo

They happen at the same time. Emotions are simply an awareness of affect.

I'm less of a cognitivist and more of an analyst when it comes to human motivation and behaviour so I think feelings/emotion actually preceed or predorminate the majority of people, not thoughts or cognitions, I think it was Heinlein who said that man was more rationalising than he was reasoning (which proves that even a stopped clock is right twice a day, I hate Heinlein).

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    They happen at the same time. Emotions are simply an awareness of affect.
    They happen simultaneously? You dont think they have a casual effect upon one another?

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    They happen simultaneously? You dont think they have a casual effect upon one another?
    Emotions effect thought. But emotions are simply thoughts of affect that disrupt prior thoughts.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/...in-study_x.htm

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/b...your_brain.htm

Imo perception precedes everything, the relationships between perceptions are emotions, conscious thought is the self relating to objects, perceptions, emotions, and persons by means of activity
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Permabanned

Emotion (I think, lol) because thinking is an active processes...can start or stop..but emotions just happen whey they do...it's usually in response to an internal or external stimulus...but the stimulus is the "active" agent and not the emotions themselves...

Egg should have come first, I'd think, given evolution. The flaw in the reasoning of the opposition is that they think that chickens have to give birth to chickens. Not always (maybe in that case..) but a horse, for example, doesn't have to give birth to a horse.

Another way of putting it: chickens didn't always exist. They do now. At one point, chickens came into existence (chicken defined however it's defined, but a definition of chicken must exist for the question to even be one)...so, when that thing gave birth to a thing that was recognized as a chicken, it came first from an egg.

The harder question would be; what came first, the chicken or the chickens egg? Because the egg belongs to who, the chicken or pre-chicken?