User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which comes first, thought or emotion? chicken or egg?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • thought; chicken

3 30.00%
  • thought; egg

0 0%
  • emotion; chicken

2 20.00%
  • emotion; egg

5 50.00%
First 123 Last

Permabanned

dp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Exactly. Since there is neuroscientific evidence for it, too, this is not really up for debate either.

What about unconscious thoughts? Say you were witnessing your childhood home getting demolished. Don't you first have to be thinking in order to recognized the situation and its significance which results in an emotional response?

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    What about unconscious thoughts? Say you were witnessing your childhood home getting demolished. Don't you first have to be thinking in order to recognized the situation and its significance which results in an emotional response?
    If such brain activity fits your definition of 'thought', then pretty much any brain activity does.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

If such brain activity fits your definition of 'thought', then pretty much any brain activity does.

I consider cognition to be thought. Do you not?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I was going to say emotions but it was already explained.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I consider cognition to be thought. Do you not?
    I consider thought to be something conscious.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

To be honest, I'm not entirely sold on the fact that thoughts and emotions are entirely seperate processes.

They are surely 'definable' in some sense.

Cognative function wise, there are intuitive and feeler people and there is the unconscious and the conscious mind.

If the questions is what comes first, the unconscious or the conscious mind. Then intuitively, I'd say the unconscious mind. But in truth I think it's not a matter of which comes first, but which processes and outputs information quicker. And the unconscious mind 'appears' faster in that sense.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Emotions = unconscious, exist before the consciousness takes place. Thoughts = conscious, act on the former.
    +1
    Exactly. Since there is neuroscientific evidence for it, too, this is not really up for debate either.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Egg should have come first, I'd think, given evolution. The flaw in the reasoning of the opposition is that they think that chickens have to give birth to chickens. Not always (maybe in that case..) but a horse, for example, doesn't have to give birth to a horse.

Another way of putting it: chickens didn't always exist. They do now. At one point, chickens came into existence (chicken defined however it's defined, but a definition of chicken must exist for the question to even be one)...so, when that thing gave birth to a thing that was recognized as a chicken, it came first from an egg.

The harder question would be; what came first, the chicken or the chickens egg? Because the egg belongs to who, the chicken or pre-chicken?
    +1

NT tag-teaming for the win!
    Nice job, guys! Internet beers on the house.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Egg should have come first, I'd think, given evolution. The flaw in the reasoning of the opposition is that they think that chickens have to give birth to chickens. Not always (maybe in that case..) but a horse, for example, doesn't have to give birth to a horse.

Another way of putting it: chickens didn't always exist. They do now. At one point, chickens came into existence (chicken defined however it's defined, but a definition of chicken must exist for the question to even be one)...so, when that thing gave birth to a thing that was recognized as a chicken, it came first from an egg.

The harder question would be; what came first, the chicken or the chickens egg? Because the egg belongs to who, the chicken or pre-chicken?
    So I was thinking about this today...and I googled it.

Here's what I came across...

Basically, many, many moons ago there was a chicken-like bird. It was genetically close to a chicken, but wasn’t a full-blown chicken yet. Krulwich calls it a proto-chicken. So proto-hen laid an egg, and proto-rooster fertilized it. But when the genes from ma and pa almost-chicken fused, they combined in a new way, creating a mutation that accidently made the baby different from its parents. Although it would take millennia for the difference to be noticed, that egg was different enough to become the official progenitor of a new species, now known as … the chicken! So in a nutshell (or an eggshell, if you like), two birds that weren’t really chickens created a chicken egg, and hence, we have an answer: The egg came first, and then it hatched a chicken.

Maybe the question we should be asking is: Which came first, the proto-chicken or the proto-chicken egg?
    http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/ani...ken-or-the-egg

It's dated at a later date than mine is, as is the associated article and video.

I'm just saying...that's pretty messed up. But, maybe it's too obvious to merit much discontent.

btw, the right answer is that the chicken came first.

MBTI
    yupp

I dunno the answer but i'd say sometimes i know my thought a lot of time before i know my emotion. other times i'll know my emotion but won't know why. Maybe I'm oblivious about the start of things
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so