User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default What are you mistaken about?

Let's explore one of the biggest social taboos - admitting when we are mistaken. When were you wrong about your ideas about politics, religion, philosophy, the nature of reality, or about the people you have met?

It feels like there is an enormous taboo on admitting to being wrong, as though it discredits a person in other ideas they put forth. A pure sort of objectivity requires enough distance from self to be able to determine when self is mistaken and make revisions to one's thinking. Ego plays no role in objectivity as it is the antithesis to it. Both empathy and logic have the capacity for something akin to objectivity when they are accurate because these are thought processes capable of subjecting ego and personal investment for a distanced, larger view of reality.

I've been wrong about all of the fundamental concepts that I was initially taught. It took years for me to realize I was mistaken in my concept of reality. I was wrong about the religion I was raised with and allowed myself to be invested in ideas that can not hold up under reason. I was wrong about my political views when I had too much trust in authority. I have been mistaken about people I have met when I thought they rejected me, and it was just my fear of rejection blinding me. Because of this I know my mind is limited and that it will take a lifetime of continual scrutiny to work towards a more accurate view of everything, and it is likely I will never reach purely accurate understanding.

What do you realize you have been mistaken about?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

1) certainty; feeling like i'm made to aggregate all the contexts into a unified model and realizing that there is an asymptote to this that can never be breached and that instead i must let go of the attempt to model more often than i do if i want to fulfill any kind of ACTUAL purpose and truly bridge my world with other possible ones
    2) feeling like i could capture the mood of the world without realizing that i was simply capturing the mood of myself in a particular social space on a particular trajectory of experience that might bridge a variety of spaces but that are present only through my memories because they have disappeared into the rearviewmirror and cannot fairly be grounded/tested by me in the present moment, that i cannot confirm experientially, the place where you go to ground yourself and establish self-trust
    3) religion, coming full circle with the religious background, moving from skepticism back to a kind of faith, albeit one that seems to emerge like a holograph from a variety of traditions, experiences, symbols, psychological scaffolding, and personal relationships with others who have helped me along the way. i just see it as the science of emotional development, albeit a less hubristic science that does not assume that the qualitative is only valid when quantitatively observable. reason, i think is a better concept, because it assumes that the whole range of possible experience is worth utilizing, the whole buffalo . the scientific method is a process for transforming descriptions into an explanatory process. it is descriptive and not normative, and yet life and science and social existence do not continue solely by their own self-descriptions but by their communication, their emergent communitizing that requires norms to honor and revere the shared conditions of possibility that have granted this story of life. to appreciate not just the immanent but also the transcendent. the boundedness that feels arbitrary to the particulars, just as the particulars feel arbitrary to the boundedness. and, as a result, to be both liberal and conservative at the same time--and to always appreciate the difference.

WALMART

It makes my insides hot and my mind spin, but when provided with evidence contrary to my decision, I am not reluctant to concede.

My mind is malleable.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I've been wrong a whole lot of times. Generally, I tend to jump to conclusions on things leveraging intuition and have found sometimes that those intuitions have been wrong. A couple of examples of poor judgement - There are a few people who that I interviewed and helped hire, that worked for me on their first project out of college. I formed an initial impression of them that later turned out to be wrong. I invested in WebVan and had a lot in technology stocks in 2001. That was horribly stupid. I built a house that is too big with an office that is too small.

I don't think there are any "world views" like the ones Fia mentions that I have shifted on though.

I tend to admit that I'm wrong when I am and to apologize if necessary. It seems to help in building and maintaining relationships with people. Put the ego aside you know.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

ndovjtjcaqidthi

I'm never wrong.

Hah.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm always mistaken about the amount of dairy i can safely consume.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

Admitting that you are wrong is a submissive gesture. When is it safe to be submissive?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I was wrong when I thought I had myself figured out. I totally forgot that life was about growth and that you never cease to change, and that it's a beautiful thing
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Last night I saw a pic of a cat and thought it was male by looking at the face. I've always thought I could tell cats' genders, but I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Admitting that you are wrong is a submissive gesture. When is it safe to be submissive?
    I think you are right about that perception of admitting to being wrong. Sometimes accurate information can save your life, and on a lesser note, it is not possible to learn if you can't admit when you are wrong, so it is stunting to intelligence and growth.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    When it actually gives you the leg up in a conversation, establishes trust, and makes another person vulnerable enough so that you're actually in the dominant position. Lose the battle but win the war, so to speak.

Nah, I definitely appreciate it when people take the lead and talk about their vulnerabilities in order to get others to open up. People don't do that enough, and so we stigmatize having flaws--and inhibit actual growth in the process.

First thing that comes to mind? I was wrong about my self-perception and my relation to other people. I was practically raised as though I was autistic--I didn't talk much as a toddler and so I was placed in a preschool for mentally disabled kids (which is apparently where they dumped autistic kids), which of course didn't give me much of a healthy perception of self. I chose my initial career because I thought I was 'destined' for an impersonal, isolated job.

My first psychologist played a bit of a trick on me. He got me talking, and he deliberately shot me some subtle facial gestures--expressing tiny hints of distress, befuddlement, agreement, disagreement, concern, and so on. Instinctually, I'd 'course correct' my speech and automatically target it to 'pick him back up.'

The rest followed from there.