User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

No, I haven't, I don't think. But I can imagine the anger, sorry to hear it. Get them cards canceled.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'd love it if stolen possessions or cards would explode horribly maiming thieves in the process.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

that sucks. and no never happened to me.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'd love it if stolen possessions or cards would explode horribly maiming thieves in the process.
    I've thought of something like that too... At least maybe an alarm that will go off very loudly and can't be turned off...
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Someone attempted to mug me one time. I hit them with a tire iron. I had no idea I would be successful at it, I was betting on them just having a knife and was lucky that they did. I didn't know they were so close to me, so when I turned around to hit their arm with the iron I ended up hitting them in the face with it. He fell down like a sack of potatoes and I ran into my car and floored it through 3 red lights and made the first turn I could handle.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Riva

I hope you didn't get raped? Anyway none of this would have happened if you were living in China instead of England.

Hmmm.....

Well I've never been mugged in my life. Thank goodness. I doubt that any amount of Karate I've learned would have helped me fight off three people but having a well built appearance would make anyone think twice before mugging another (unless of course the attackers are carrying fire arms).

The law is an ass they say. Where I come from people aren't allowed to carry even a blade which is more than 3 inches long. Then again there are two sides to every story. The same blade one person would carry around to protect oneself against a crime which would or would never happen could be used by another who is extremely desperate for money to mug. The latter is more likely to happen with much successfully than the former could I presume.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    I doubt that any amount of Karate I've learned would have helped me fight off three people
    yea, karate isnt really effective on taking people down fast. not saying that a good karateka cant easily beat up many people who have no knowledge on martial arts, its just that karate doesent teach you the fastest ways to cripple your opponent, like for example they do in krav maga or what this guy does from 45 sec onwards:

problem with karate is that it just isnt brutal enough and doesent teach pressure points(which reduces the brutality a great deal), also that stance used in karate isnt very good vs anything else than other karateka or vs someone who has no idea how to fight. if you face three people, you need to take them down fast and to do that, you need to brake bones, collar bone for example brakes easily, is relatively easy to hit and your opponent wont continue to fight after. or twist joints, so that they brake or use pressure points in very brutal ways(mainly the ones in throat, solar plexus, eyes or balls). etc etc

and yes, its ok to brake bones, poke their eyes potentially blinding the eye or other potentially permanent damage if they come 3vs1. that sort of fuckers deserve a proper ass whipping they dont easily forget
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Riva

@INTP I must sadly agree with you.

Yes I am fully capable of taking down an opponent with Karate but taking down people using Karate techniques take quite a long time. Infact one has to be considerably stronger than the other to knock him out by using karate. It doesn't teach knockout blows nor does karate teach grappling or chocking techniques. (It does teach you how to effectively defend oneself against stronger/heavier opponents though.) For street fighting the best techniques are ones which teaches grappling, throwing and chocking techniques. Infact I initially wanted to do Judo (which along with similar styles is known to be the best for street fighting) but sadly my father had been a Karateka and insisted that I learn the same technique that he did which is Kyokushin kaikan. I was only 11 so I didn't want to argue with him and did what he insisted that I was told to.

Sigh!!!

After a while I realized that it doesn't teach me how to bring down stronger opponents (fatter opponents back when I was 11-16) therefore lost interest in it. These days I'm building muscles. After I hit 80/81 Kgs I want to go to a Judo/Brazilian-Jujitsu trainer and learn some basic lethal moves. I've also noticed that boxing is also more effective in street fighting than Karate but it would never be a match to grappling/throwing/chocking arts which have evolved from Jujitsu.

In the defense of Karate I am quite an effective fighter and can bring down most people that I have friendly fights with though I am out of practice. This is due to learning the techniques at a very young age, knowing good defense techniques (impossible to punch or kick me) and Karate having developed my reflexes to a level that I don't have to think what should be done to defend myself when someone attacks me. I would say Karate is more of a defense technique than an combat technique (bring people down).

But I am no match for Judoka or even boxers who are my same built and age.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I've thought of something like that too... At least maybe an alarm that will go off very loudly and can't be turned off...
    That'd be awesome!

I know that my provider has offered something which I can activate if a phone has been stolen or lost which will make it inoperative and dead if it receives an activation signal and the password is not submitted to it. I've not set it because I'm worried that it'd wind up going off by accident in my pocket and ruining my phone, as it probably would. I could see it being something a sabateur could use too, burn out others phones on them for nastiness.

I have heard about intelligence services researching tech to install in their devices which will cause circuits to melt or motherboards corrupt if they are lost or stolen, I could imagine booby trapping of devices by the same too.

Personally I'd love to have some kind of real nasty consequences set up for them, like leaving a bottle in your training bag of what looks and tastes like an unopened bottle diet cola but which is really carrying some nasty viral infection or something like it to mess them up, although it would be hard to get it across to them that it was a consequence of their being a dirty bad thief, helping themselves to others things, and not fate, chance, bad luck or any of the other random factors most of those ass wipes attribute things happening in their life and the lives of others to.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    yea, karate isnt really effective on taking people down fast. not saying that a good karateka cant easily beat up many people who have no knowledge on martial arts, its just that karate doesent teach you the fastest ways to cripple your opponent, like for example they do in krav maga or what this guy does from 45 sec onwards:

problem with karate is that it just isnt brutal enough and doesent teach pressure points(which reduces the brutality a great deal), also that stance used in karate isnt very good vs anything else than other karateka or vs someone who has no idea how to fight. if you face three people, you need to take them down fast and to do that, you need to brake bones, collar bone for example brakes easily, is relatively easy to hit and your opponent wont continue to fight after. or twist joints, so that they brake or use pressure points in very brutal ways(mainly the ones in throat, solar plexus, eyes or balls). etc etc

and yes, its ok to brake bones, poke their eyes potentially blinding the eye or other potentially permanent damage if they come 3vs1. that sort of fuckers deserve a proper ass whipping they dont easily forget
    What most people know as karate these days is far removed from the fighting forms of the original samauri who developed it though.

Its been filtered through a years and years of being reduced to an arena sport and often childrens fitness regime, often totally out of any reference to original cultural context too.

I have, as a curio, a small pulp paperback I discovered years ago in a second hand bookshop called "super karate, yeah" or something like that, it was from a time, long ago, when eastern martial arts were seriously esoteric and predating any of the martial arts movies, bruce lee, the karate kid, any of that (Bruce Lee hated the use of karate to designate all eastern martial arts and gave interviews about that).

In this book there are illustrations about jabs, cobra strikes, chops, some seriously nasty and debilitating stuff and it clearly predates any sort of publishing code or publishers liability and would appear to be some white, western, US writer providing, totally unfiltered, death dealing techniques he's learned on tour around Japan.

Odd and unusual sources like that aside even more recent movies like Jet Lee's Fist of Legend show how Karate and Kung Fu both used to be less about fixed positions and proper fighting, Bruce Lee talked about this when coming to the west and becoming interested in boxing like Muhammed Ali, its virtually were Jeet Kune Do comes from and its the precursor to so called all in and MMA fighting.

Although, one massive caveat I'd add if this thread is going to discuss fighting and street crime is that you've got to have a lot more than moves on your side, I've been in a lot of violent situations, seen others freeze and faulter just when you'd think they wouldnt or shouldnt or when its likely to actually encourage violence from an aggressor, I've studied and seen how matching of emotions can work and influence these things for fair or foul.

Most of all you've got to know what you're willing to lose and what consequences you're willing to deal with, relinquishing possessions often saves your skin and that sort of survivalism is important, its how professionals, police or intelligence operatives are liable to operate, there's more avoidance in those trades than confrontation or dumb head on fighting.

A lot of the time criminals may just be engaged in robbery as a pretext, they're looking for an excuse for violence, the act of robbery probably has less to do with real need than their own perceived power and desire to control or dominate others and situations. Consequently shit can escalate incredibly quickly, to real ultra violence, there wont be any conscience checking it, there wont be any inhibitions about it and the victim will be seen as to blame by the perpetrator. I always remember an episode of the simpsons were Homer gets in some sort of scrape and walks away from what should be a cause for depression by saying "The jokes on them, I'm still alive", you've got to think about that and like that.

No matter how well trained you are and how prepared you are to employ force and violence yourself, no matter how convinced of your right to self-defence, I've found that in most people who are "normal", for want of a better word, and not some disturbed, hard hearted douche, they will unconsciously pull their punches and be inhibited when shit gets real. Its a theme in more than a dozen movies that I can think of, from Saving Private Ryan to Creep, Wolf Creek and real video nasties like that. I've seen it play out in real life though and people should be aware of that. Its not a flaw. Its not weakness but it could be a weakness if you choose to ignore it. Its like height or eye colour or any other real trait effecting your life and self.