User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned

Default What benefits would there be to pre determining your death?

For example, you decide that you want to die at 85. And, further, you decide the week, the day, the hour, the minute...even second, who knows?

And you have a big funeral where you invite everyone you want to come, assuming they'd still be around, and also if other things are permitting.

You go through life casually inviting people to your funeral.

You plan it out...make a playlist, put a bar in serving drinks of your choosing.

You invite guest speakers...maybe record something you'd like to say, maybe read chapters of books of your choosing etc etc etc.

Basically you go out on your own terms.

Assuming you make it that far (but you could correct for individuals based on genes and health and whatever other factors).

And you set the date. You know exactly when your time is up. No guessing, no nothing...just the anticipation, and perhaps paranoia that it might not happen the way you planned...but hey, then again, does it ever happen the way anyone planed? That's just life...

(It's like extended suicide by natural causes.)

Would it be a bad thing? Or a good thing?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

A good thing because I'd set the date at ∞ and live forever.

Permabanned

Does infinity come before or after december?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Does infinity come before or after december?
    I don't know, I think that would break it

If that isn't possible I guess I'd just check out at 100 (assuming your hypothetical won't allow me to live on after my flesh falls off)

actually, if that's the case I just wouldn't do it

WALMART

i'll get back to you.

see what i did there?

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

well the main benefit IMO is that you can get people to be there at the time you decide to die so that they can clean the mess up immediately and you don't have to suffer the shame and humiliation of being found 2-3 days later in your own excrement. I heard that the sphincter relaxes after you die so you crap yourself or something. There's actually an entire episode of South Park devoted to that.

NOT that you'd care anyway because you'd be dead! But I guess it's for the consideration of the person who discovers your dead body.
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

A good thing or a bad thing? It would be an unnatural thing, and isn't likely to catch on by its own merits. I could see some sort of sci-fi scenario social pressures maybe making this possible.

Anew Leaf

I've experienced what it is like to have someone with an expiration date that you can see drizzling down to zero. I don't think I'd like that on me.

Anytime I put a limit on something, a fence around something, I immediately want to peer over. So if I suddenly said, Ok Saturned, you will become a neutron star on March 5, 2035, then I will spend every waking moment wondering and dreaming about what will happen to me on March 6, 2035.

Knowing that each second is truly precious and can be snatched away with powers far greater than your own.... that makes them a treasure, something that shouldn't be squandered. You cannot own your time, but you can enjoy it.

I am probably not making any sense anymore but hmm. there are my thoughts as I am thinking them now.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7 sx/so

Predetermination would be terrible. Uncertainty helps us to be properly alive.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    For example, you decide that you want to die at 85. And, further, you decide the week, the day, the hour, the minute...even second, who knows?

And you have a big funeral where you invite everyone you want to come, assuming they'd still be around, and also if other things are permitting.

You go through life casually inviting people to your funeral.

You plan it out...make a playlist, put a bar in serving drinks of your choosing.

You invite guest speakers...maybe record something you'd like to say, maybe read chapters of books of your choosing etc etc etc.

Basically you go out on your own terms.

Assuming you make it that far (but you could correct for individuals based on genes and health and whatever other factors).

And you set the date. You know exactly when your time is up. No guessing, no nothing...just the anticipation, and perhaps paranoia that it might not happen the way you planned...but hey, then again, does it ever happen the way anyone planed? That's just life...

(It's like extended suicide by natural causes.)

Would it be a bad thing? Or a good thing?
    Many of these sound horrible to me. Invite people to my funeral? I didn't invite people to my wedding. A guest speaker? Like anyone wants to hear more blah blah blah at a funeral? Playlist...oh my god no. Bar? Absolutely, at the meal directly following the funeral. The one thing that would be good about it is that I could plan everything. I love to plan. I would tell my family everything I want them to know, no regrets on that. I would lay my head down on my husbands furry chest and die. Unless he's going before me. Hopefully we would know this and maybe could go at the same time.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.