The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    But never mind that, I have a question. Do you notice how people outside of the UK often conflate the UK with Great Britain and England? E.g. Elizabeth II is commonly known as "the queen of England" even though there hasn't been a queen of England since 1707. I notice it; i'm not even British and I find it annoying.
    Considering even the media in Britain does the same thing it is not really surprising. Numerous times during the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics the home team were referred to as the English team by journalists. Not to mention, the National Olympic Committee for the United Kingdom markets itself as Team GB which is factually wrong. They seem to have forgotten about the Crown dependencies, Northern Ireland, and the majority of British overseas territories who don't have their own Olympic team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Considering even the media in Britain does the same thing it is not really surprising. Numerous times during the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics the home team were referred to as the English team by journalists. Not to mention, the National Olympic Committee for the United Kingdom markets itself as Team GB which is factually wrong. They seem to have forgotten about the Crown dependencies, Northern Ireland, and the majority of British overseas territories who don't have their own Olympic team.
    The usage has changed over time. I try to use "British" unless I specifically mean "English." I consider myself to be British first and foremost, and english second. It does annoy me when people use them interchangeably, although Im sure Ive done it myself at times.

Apparently "English" could refer to any peoples inside the British empire up until the 1930's. You can see this as exclusional or inclusional, depending on your point of view. The use of British as opposed to english is much more accurate though and should be observed more closely.

I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump