User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Ask A Limey

  1. #11
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Im a "limey" so I can answer, yes?

    Also, I think limey is another Australian word. The Americans don't generally use it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    1. How come you guys, to this day,drink so much tea?
    2. Are you glad not to have joined the Euro?
    3. What's up with that obsession with nazis and WWII?
    Considering the scale of WW2 for the brits, and its relative closeness in history, its no surprise at all that the brits would be obsessed by it. It was Britain's finest hour. However, I dont agree that we ARE obsessed with it. Or at least, that if we are so are the other countries in the anglo sphere. Think of all the WW2 movies made in Hollywood.

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    What is British history like regarding the secession of the American colonies? Do y'all learn or focus on that period like we do?
    I wasn't taught anything concerning the secession that I remember. The stuff I've learnt about it I've learnt later in adult life. One thing Ive learnt is, at least from the British point of view, the war was one with France, not the american colonials.

    Im glad America gained independence however, it was set up with noble principles.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

  2. #12
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Considering the scale of WW2 for the brits, and its relative closeness in history, its no surprise at all that the brits would be obsessed by it. It was Britain's finest hour. However, I dont agree that we ARE obsessed with it. Or at least, that if we are so are the other countries in the anglo sphere. Think of all the WW2 movies made in Hollywood.
    I understand the part about Britain's finest hour and how that would shape an identity. What i mean when I say obsessed is:
    - Prince Harry dressing up as a nazi for laughs
    - the Daily Mirror and the like comparing German politicians to nazis
    - the Daily Mirror and the like making nazi jokes whenever there is a football game on against Germany
    - I have heard British people say the History Channel would be without a programm if it wasn't for WWII
    - German teenagers on a student exchange having British teenagers yell "nazis!!" at them as they pass by without any provocation (happened to some friends in the 1990s)
    - a British doctor refusing to treat a German patient for being German (happened in the 1990s)

    Okay, the last few points sound more serious but I was more referring to the Harry and Daily Mirror kind of thing.

    And, since we hardly know each other, I might have to add what is obvious to anybody who knows me, namely that I naturally am very aware of how important it is not to forget history, never to minimalize what happened, etc. But I think it is one thing never to forget and to learn lessons from history and yet another thing to turn into a meme (in the same mental box as Darth Vader or Professor Moriarty) because that leads to othering and othering makes you forget that the demonic thing about this is that these were normal people, not aliens. Not sure if I am explaining myself or making any sense...

    Watch the part at 0:58
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  3. #13
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    - I have heard British people say the History Channel would be without a programm if it wasn't for WWII
    Well, Americans say that, too, because it's true. The History Channel saturated their line-up with WWII content... They are backing off now, in favor of conspiracy theories. It's not a knock on Germany, it's a knock on The History Channel.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  4. #14
    F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Do you take the pram to the lift on the telly in the boot?
    Do I take the baby's buggy to the elevator on the television in the trunk?

    What?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    How do you guys like your own food?
    It's okay, I guess. Indian, Chinese, Fried Chicken, Pizza and stuff. I like Sherbert, that's British, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Im a "limey" so I can answer, yes?
    I don't see why not; Besides, you've already taken that liberty so; go for it.

  5. #15
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I understand the part about Britain's finest hour and how that would shape an identity. What i mean when I say obsessed is:
    - Prince Harry dressing up as a nazi for laughs
    - the Daily Mirror and the like comparing German politicians to nazis
    - the Daily Mirror and the like making nazi jokes whenever there is a football game on against Germany
    - I have heard British people say the History Channel would be without a programm if it wasn't for WWII
    - German teenagers on a student exchange having British teenagers yell "nazis!!" at them as they pass by without any provocation (happened to some friends in the 1990s)
    - a British doctor refusing to treat a German patient for being German (happened in the 1990s)

    Okay, the last few points sound more serious but I was more referring to the Harry and Daily Mirror kind of thing.

    And, since we hardly know each other, I might have to add what is obvious to anybody who knows me, namely that I naturally am very aware of how important it is not to forget history, never to minimalize what happened, etc. But I think it is one thing never to forget and to learn lessons from history and yet another thing to turn into a meme (in the same mental box as Darth Vader or Professor Moriarty) because that leads to othering and othering makes you forget that the demonic thing about this is that these were normal people, not aliens. Not sure if I am explaining myself or making any sense...

    Watch the part at 0:58
    Its difficult to respond as I dont want to be trapped into defending sections of british society or cultural attitudes that I myself condemn. This entire issue is deeply linked to the soul issues I have against current british society.

    The tabloids are vicious and base.
    Prince Harry is a tasteless brat.
    Many british teenagers are 'orrible little things that will use whichever insult they find the most amusing on someone who stands out.

    You dont have to persuade me that there is something wrong with these areas of our culture. The bigoted idea is just another symptom of problems widely recognised in Britain. But when Dylan Morann says english people are bigoted that hardly seems fair. If you picked any 10 english people, stuck them in a room together, and had one of them say the German's are a nazi people or some such, I expect the result would be condemnation by the group at large. All cultures have ignorant sections in their society, that doesnt mean that the meme's of those ignorant sections are the meme's of the dominant culture. (There is, however, a meme in the dominant culture about rudely linking together the german people and the nazi's. (Fawlty Towers, "dont mention the war".) But the funny part of this meme is the tastelessness of the person making the link. Though it could be said this meme has increased tolerance for truly bad memes.

    Actually, this topic is way too large to tackle in this thread. Its made my INTP mind explode in every direction. Let me just say that I see your point, that you have found a real issue or an unpleasant symptom of a real one.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

  6. #16
    F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Shagadelic.


    Snog! Shag! Wank! lol, I like being British. hehe

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    ...
    I'm sorry but, ^ If you're gonna throw too much politics and stuff then, it's not gonna make this thread fun anymore... I dunno.

    Also;

    They say, Great Britain looks like a man riding a pig. ?



    Well I don't know about that but, here's what I did.



    I say Great Britain looks like man on his knees holding his cock to the world with long hair and his tongue hanging out.

  7. #17
    Head Pigeon Mad Hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Its difficult to respond as I dont want to be trapped into defending sections of british society or cultural attitudes that I myself condemn. This entire issue is deeply linked to the soul issues I have against current british society.

    The tabloids are vicious and base.
    Prince Harry is a tasteless brat.


    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

    -τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

  8. #18
    F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    More of my art.


  9. #19
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Im a "limey" so I can answer, yes?

    Also, I think limey is another Australian word. The Americans don't generally use it.
    I thought they preferred the usage of the term 'POM'?

    But I could obviously be wrong, im not that good at keeping up with current colloquial trends.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    'Limey' is North American, predominantly American. 'Pom' is Australian; most North Americans wouldn't have a clue what it meant without context.



    But never mind that, I have a question. Do you notice how people outside of the UK often conflate the UK with Great Britain and England? E.g. Elizabeth II is commonly known as "the queen of England" even though there hasn't been a queen of England since 1707. I notice it; i'm not even British and I find it annoying.

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] Ask an INTJ
    By logan235711 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 870
    Last Post: 05-22-2015, 05:04 AM
  2. Ask Me a Question
    By reason in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 12:47 PM
  3. [ISTJ] Ask the ISTJ
    By RansomedbyFire in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 02:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO