User Tag List

123 Last

WALMART

Default How Do You Read?

Probably a silly question, but a question nonetheless.

I've noticed over the years I tend to speed read in a sense. I look over pages for basic concepts, plot points, and other things of the like just for the sake of continuing progress at an accelerated rate. If I'm on the first paragraph of a page in a novel, and I don't feel anything going anywhere, I pick out bits and pieces and continue to the next page. Sometimes, though, I have found myself unaware of what's happening, and sometimes I'll look back and realize I haven't committed to memory a single important detail for the past thirty pages, though my mind was certainly generating imagery. I suppose I'm not so much focused about particulars of words as I am the overall structure of a novel, though I tend to do this with non-fiction as well, which almost defeats the purpose of reading non-fiction.

The only up side is that I can read a book six times and still find new content =P

How do you tend to read?

Banned
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Enneagram
    hot
    Socionics
    body

I look in the center of the page and use my peripherals to read the left and right sides of a line so that the process goes by faster. I'll read what's written as fast as I possibly can. At this point, not all that's read will stick. It's sorta just floating around and I unconsciously sort out what's just been read into an idea of what's going on. This is if I'm reading something long, boring, or otherwise tedious.

For things I find interesting and captivating with every sentence I savor it slowly and will reread it as I'm reading. If there are phrases and lines I like I'll read them again and store them for memory [which tends to show up in my speech in a sort've temporary way like how food you eat makes up your body and eventually is replaced by something else you ate later. e.g. If I read a lot of spider-man comic books I tend to say a lot of sarcastic jokes, but not the same jokes that spider-man said. And if I read lord of the rings I can be a bit too descriptive about things.]. Things I like I enjoy slowly.

Then there's the IgottaknowwhatsgonnahappennextrightNOW reading where what I'm reading is interesting but has lots of cliff hangers [could be a psych book, could be a novel written like the plot of lost]. I read those, not really as fast as the boring stuff, slow enough to make sure I can still comprehend without having to backtrack because I just wanna see what's gonna happen next. It's like a drug those cliff hangers.

And there's the writings plagued with bull shit. You know, when you start to read it and realize the author is spewing lots of hot air and not really getting anywhere and they're [shit I'm bullshitting a bit here.]. Sometimes bs has substance, but also lots of time consuming shit in it. That's when I skim as fast as possible looking for interesting stuff that matters. Then I focus on that. At times I'll have to reread something bs again because I missed something of substance.

Textbooks seem to be plagued with bs. They tell you how exciting and wonderful and [insert adjective that's not scientifically relevant] whatever you're about to read is before they break into a "did you know that [insert something you may not have known but don't care about that isn't very relevant to what you're trying to learn. OR something you did know that's still pretty useless]" spasm. And I'm like... ew, just fucking tell me about chemistry already jackass.

Linear speed reading.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Half the time when I am reading I don't even properly process what it is I have just read because lots of books are by boring authors who for people who have so much to say they don't really say anything if you get my meaning. I like books written in a more Einstein-like fashion where the goal is not when there is more stuff to add but when there is nothing to take away and hence simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I read slowly, especially novels. Otherwise nothing sticks.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I read everything on each page and make sure I finish them. But occasionally I will read ahead when something catches my interest and then go back to where I was in anticipation of the part which interested me.

Essentially im constantly skipping ahead a few lines and then connecting it back to the ones I need to read to get to that point, its an odd reading method and I have no idea why I developed it.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Enneagram
    9w8

I skim read to see if it's something I'm interested in first. If it is, then I read more carefully. I DON'T like endless descriptions.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I kinda skim my eyes vertically down the page and take in the overall idea, re-reading sections when I get confused or skip over too much.

I read very fast but not very thoroughly at all, although for some reason typos tend to stick out to me. I'll miss everything on an entire page if I'm not careful, since I tend to zone out somehow.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

If I'm reading, I usually start at the climax and work my way back to see how it got to be that way. I don't have the patience for all the character development.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

If it's leisure reading, then I just plod through it until I finish. It's a lot more relaxing than if I'm reading more dense material that I have to focus on. To do that, though, I read the words out loud, so that I am forced to focus on what is being said. It becomes a lot more easy.

Sometimes, though, I just read the first sentence of each paragraph and convince myself that I got the gist of what is being said.