User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Like I said, only when I'm about to crash. Otherwise, I'm steering with my knee while texting with my right hand and holding ma beer with my left!

Yeah. That's probably the best time LOL

Honestly I think that's the only time you really need to. Unless you're doing some kind of crazy racing stunts...

Some people say you need both hands to react fast and turn the wheel if you're about to crash, but physics usually dictates that if you have to do a two handed crank on the wheel then you're probably fucked already.

I've counter steered on ice before with one hand. If you're sliding or need to dodge something to the point that two hands will actually make a difference, or need to get the vehicle back under control, the timing is so critical that chances are you're already screwed before you even react. Jerking on the wheel is a good way to lose control though.

Anyway. Two hands lets you hold on better when you crash. That's about it.

Edit: if you're driving a semi or a bus or something though, by all means use two hands.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    I suppose since I started this mess, I should indulge you all about how I hold the steering wheel: One hand (or wrist), 12 o'clock (that's an Irish clock). If manual, I'm holding the gearshift, if automatic, I'm holding my other gearshift. If I'm holding the wheel with my right hand, which I often do when I'm cruising, I normally have my left hand sticking out the window, which makes me a born trucker, and I have the tan to prove it. I should drive a mail truck to even it out.
    That sounds very complicated

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Anyway. Two hands lets you hold on better when you crash. That's about it.
    I'm a professional. So there's no need for concern.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Today, I learned to ride my bike with no hands!!!

Neither. I drive using 'the force'.

This seems like a loaded question... what are you tying to find out about me? What am I admitting to if I admit to driving with one hand...

In the words of Admiral Ackbar... IT'S A TRAP!!!
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ewomack View Post
    This seems like a loaded question... what are you tying to find out about me? What am I admitting to if I admit to driving with one hand...
    That you tend a more aggressive driver (if one hand is on the top of the wheel) or that you're a more careless driver (one hand on side or bottom).

If you have both hands on the steering wheel (or the old lady pose), then you're a cautious driver -- the kind of driver I end up flipping off or tailgating because you're going too slow.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

It varies; if one-handed, it's usually right hand at 11 (I cross over a bit; better angle for steering), or if I get tired of that, just put the right hand down towards the bottom for a bit. Left hand less often, although I'll rotate. If two hands, it varies, either 10 and 2 or 5 and 7.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

I use all sorts of different holds on the wheel just depending on circumstances, but usually it's left-hand at 12 or 6 (12 more control, 6 less muscles). I learned to drive with a manual so right arm just chills on the center console usually. Or I sit on it. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    It wasn't me.
    Lol!
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    And if only one hand, do you have your other hand on the gearshift even if it's not manual?

And also if only one hand, do you tend to have your hand placed on the top of the wheel or on the side or bottom?

Do you find you tend to have one hand hanging out the window, as well?

That is all. Most inane thread idea ever. (Or is it?)
    My handedness is ''cross dominant'' - I write with my right hand/use it for fine motor skills, & my left predominantly for broader motions, like batting or shoveling, etc.

I drive with my left hand on the steering wheel- & depending on where I am [inner city/highway/etc] my hand will rest more on 9/12/or 7. My right hand is always on the gear shift, elbow resting on the middle console. My car is automatic; I don't even know how to drive manual/standard [yet!], but I've always driven this way, most comfortably.

I'm probably also one of the few people who keeps their seat up at a 90 degree angle vs leaning it back a little/lot. I've been doing this ever since I fractured my spine in '07- just been more comfortable to be sitting totally upright.

Oh, & no, I don't ever hang any parts out the window. Too many severed limb scenarios come to mind..
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.