User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book Selections for me.

6w7 sp/sx

Default Book Selections for me.

I just LOVE to read, I tend to always have like 20 books going at once and that day I just pick the one that I'm in the mood for. I'm at a super congested point on my shelfari and I'm not allowed to bring in a book unless I finish a book. However, I always want more suggestions!!!

So I'm not big into "plots". Plots tend to be like an after thought that is second to just having really good writing. The plot can be dumb as long as the writing is good.

I really like satire and unusual writing styles, and fantasy type stuff.

Like, right now, one of the books I'm reading is Water for Elephants. Which everyone was obsessed with and I can't tell why. It's just that detailed point A to point B stuff that you can find anywhere. I mean. It's good. But it's not excellent.

I like a little room for imagination in the writing. Too much detail doesn't give you much legroom and can get you bogged down and rereading paragraphs and such.
    1984 ish stuff is nice.

I'm definitely not anti-popular book but I don't understand the 50 Shades of Grey and the like. I skimmed a chapter on amazon and it was very painful.

So while I can usually find stuff that I like, it's really hard for me to find stuff that I LOVE while perusing the bookshelves and amazon. A lot of the current front of the line stuff ends up being absolute shit, though I'm never closed off to the idea of reading them if they have the potential to be good. You just have to weed through a lot of it to find out. It's like goodwill. I don't have time.

Any good suggestions?
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

4w5 sp/sx

I don't know if you'd like it, but I'm an absolute huge fan of Philip K Dick. His stories are about ideas mostly, but are filled with very strange imagery and situations. If you'd be willing to give it a go, I'd suggest Ubik, or maybe Man in the High Castle. Man in the High Castle is about a Japanese occupied California, post WWII, where there is a man who has rebelliously wrote an alternate fiction novel postulating what might have happend if the Axis lost. Africa has been overrun by German engineered giants...

5w4 sp/sx
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    So I'm not big into "plots". Plots tend to be like an after thought that is second to just having really good writing. The plot can be dumb as long as the writing is good.
    Check out the books by David and Leigh Eddings (I would start with the Belgariad series): their plots were largely just a rudimentary excuse for the characters to travel and interact with each other, but those authors could have described paint drying for 50 pages and you still couldn't put it down:

I would also highly recommend the Dresden files (the plots are actually pretty good, but its the characters and writing that steal the show-think of it as 'hard-boiled detective' meets 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer):

For an unusual writing style, see if can find an old sci-fi novel called 'Emergence'; its lead character is a bit of a Mary Stu, but its a great novel regardless, and written almost entirely in works far better than you may expect:

morose bourgeoisie Array

I just read 'She's Come Undone' by Wally Lamb, and thought it was very good.

I also thought that Water for Elephants was good, but not great...I found her style a little too Hollywood.

'Light in August' by Faulkner is a really good novel...not 'light' though

Senior Member Array

Unusual writing styles = James Joyce (Finnegan's wake in particular).
    Very well written = Doestoyevsky.
    Fantasy that's very well written and beautiful = Guy Gavriel Kay.

Permabanned Array
    9w1 sx/sp

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

Wiki can summarize it's unique structure better than I can:

The novel consists of six nested stories that take the reader from the remote South Pacific in the nineteenth century to a distant, post-apocalyptic future. Each tale is revealed to be a story that is read (or observed) by the main character in the next. All stories but the last are interrupted at some moment, and after the sixth story concludes at the center of the book, the novel "goes back" in time, "closing" each story as the book progresses in terms of pages but regresses in terms of the historical period in which the action takes place. Eventually, readers end where they started, with Adam Ewing in the Pacific Ocean, circa 1850.
    It's sci-fi/fantasy, and each story is in a different writing style as well.

Read it before the Tom Hanks movie comes out later this year and in all likelihood completely botches it.

I like The Gunslinger by Stephen King.

The plot is pretty basic, a guy is chasing another guy across a desert.

It's typical King, if you're into that kind of stuff. Social commentary, gratuitous violence, witty dialogue... And if you like it, there's six more books afterwards, all of increasing length and complexity =D

Ender's Game is another solid one.

4w5 so

Can't believe no one's said Song of Ice & Fire. If you like fantasy, you should be running to the library to get this RIGHT NOW.

Screw the show.
    ( . )( . )

Read Tom Robbins' Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness