User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Ties

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    My husband is basically an engineer and is usually with customers on site. He wears a suit about once a week but I got him this a few years ago and he loves it. He has another organizer that goes on the front seat of his car but this briefcase is perfect.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...ses/71038.aspx

When he sees customers in meeting and such, and he's in a suit, he takes a folding leather portfolio instead of the whole bag.
    $200 dollars

That is wayyyyyyyy over-budget, lol.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    $200 dollars

That is wayyyyyyyy over-budget, lol.
    He had cheaper ones that fell apart after a year.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    He had cheaper ones that fell apart after a year.
    I'm not a professional just yet.

When that time comes, I may decide to get a better briefcase/messenger bag. $200 dollars just won't cut it just yet, so if I can get one for cheap for the duration, I may just go with that. Ohhh, and I think a black one would do better for me.

But I'm learning the roles of what is acceptable and what isn't.

I guess, from seeing other people wear formal/semi-formal at my college, people do wear backpacks or messenger bags. At least, as a student. I've heard of other professions having slightly different variations (a lawyer can't be lugging a briefcase with 1k page books)

Quote Originally Posted by ewomack View Post
    My view on ties is summed up in this diagram...

Attachment 7892
    Yes. It feels like someone strangling me. I always leave the knot as close to my neck as possible... but with enough space I don't feel like I am not being choked to death.

@funkadelik and @Cimarron don't want a clip on. I'm actually starting to like dressing formally, I don't know why... maybe it is the look I get from others. It's strange. While most people are wearing casual clothing, here I am wearing semi-formal/formal wear at the college. I've actually been commented a few times with people thinking I'm in the business field or something. It was... very different.

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't wear them obviously but maybe you could try a different knot, such as the small knot.

There's a bunch of different ways to tie a tie and some of them are less bulky which should seem to translate into crowding your neck less than the classic Windsor, yet most of them look pretty close to the same especially if it isn't super duper formal.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I don't wear them obviously but maybe you could try a different knot, such as the small knot.

There's a bunch of different ways to tie a tie and some of them are less bulky which should seem to translate into crowding your neck less than the classic Windsor, yet most of them look pretty close to the same especially if it isn't super duper formal.
    I do the full on Windsor. It was the first knot I ever attempted when wearing formal wear, and I still do the full Windsor

Once I make the knot to the way I like it, there is no way I am going to undo the tie. I'll just loosen it enough so that I can get the tie out of my head and leave it some place for when I do reuse that tie.

I wear an expensive suit but I don't wear a regular tie. I wear a tie in beautiful material that has been designed by an artist, and I leave the top button of my shirt open. Or instead of a tie I wear a designer scarf, knotted like a tie, and with the top button of my shirt open.

And I usually wear a flower in the button hole of my suit. And I top it all off with a fedora.