User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Members You Disagree With, But Enjoy Debating

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I'll start by saying I can recall persistently having a differing opinion from @lowtech redneck and @Beefeater , but can't specifically recall any time I thought they were being overly cruel or unfair offhand.
    Thank you, I've enjoyed debating you as well.

I don't want to single anyone else out, as it could be construed as an implicit insult to anyone I leave out, but there are a large number of posters with differing views that I enjoy debating with, particularly the ones who compartmentalize disagreements on an issue and don't let even heated disagreements grow into acrimony or spill over into other threads.

I like discussion and debate, a lot of the time both of those are abscent when people post on the forum, I'm being honest in saying so and that's my opinion. People are either seeking to flex mental muscle and prove themselves smarter or play some sort of game or even just expect a corus of applause and affirmation, its not unique to this forum though, its how I've seen forums and online meeting places develop from the earliest days back in the ninties.

Although that said I like most of the discussion threads I've seen posted here, its not the purpose of discussion threads and debate topics to provide a support group and I dont expect that, there's other occasions or places for that or someone could explicitly state that at the outset of their thread if that's their expectations and others could respect that.

There's a lot of threads, because I've been doing this lately, for ages ago which I've read and there's a lot of posters who I dont agree with either creating them or participating in them who arent around anymore. Lots of good ones in the psychology and MBTI threads too but again from ages ago and the seem to have ended either because people moved on or all that could be said was said and that was that. I like the ones from a time when it seemed people were searching for every kind of typology, not restricted to MBTI.

People are free to disagree but a lot of the time when they do it says more about them than the topic at hand, that can be pretty ugly and I dont like that very much.