User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default WHen does trolling go too far

Is it always out of line, or are there levels and after a certain level it becomes a bit too much? what's your opinion? I don't have one.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ

It depends. There's different kinds of trolls. I'll call them Type A and Type B
    This convention is informal and some might choose to call them differently.

Anyhow...

With Type A trolls, there is no too far. Only not far enough. Type A troll is not successful until people legitimately rage.

Type B troll has gone too far when people start getting actually hurt or angry and it isn't fun anymore.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Is it always out of line, or are there levels and after a certain level it becomes a bit too much? what's your opinion? I don't have one.
    When the troll logs on to the internet.

When the troll wakes up in the morning.

Take your pick.

WALMART

Trolling...

I tend to troll people in real life, to be honest. The other day for some reason I took side I really had no opinion on in a minor discussion, nothing too serious. If the debate would have developed into argument I would have backed off, arguing is not my style. I guess I like developing thought more than I do not.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think it goes too far when there's situations like kids committing suicide because of things posted online. Or when people start to mess with dating sites for the sake of misleading other people genuinely looking for a partner in life. When people are being insulted online when they've passed away, or harassment of family members of the deceased.

Between all of that, it's still very vague.

Its a touchy subject, because the same comments among friends could be completely harmless. The less people it hurts, the better.. I think there's just a gray area that people are going to have to draw a line down, including law makers and governments, for when enough is enough. It's easier for places like this.. If someone reports it, or is obviously upset and bothered by it, we know it's gone too far. There's a community where we can vouch for things like insults being harmless fun, etc. But on a bigger, more national scale, the situation is still too vague. Trolling is too new for us still.

Most of the things trolls tend to say online are also things they know they'd never get away with saying IRL. Those that don't have a difference are usually type B trolls, going on the classification described above. It is personal amusement, and jokes, but the jokes are cut out when they realize they or others aren't so amused.

But. There's an element of invincibility when it comes to sprinkles's Type A troll.. They hide behind first amendment rights, anonymity, and distance. I think soon, enough bad situations will occur where the government is going to be forced to answer for this sort of thing. People have the right to go on things like dating sites without being picked on and bullied by pathetic people that think it's funny to shove someone's dating difficulties in their face.

There's going to be a day where having access to the internet is a right.. because so many aspects of our lives (money, jobs and careers, education, etc.) are going to depend on the internet and online resources. When that happens, the rights for people to say whatever they want to whomever they want at a whim will drastically decrease. Right now the internet is in the tail end of the wild west mentality.. People still get away with murder, but eyes are on it now to break it in and tame it so that more people can use it for a wider variety of things.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Personally, I kind of find it a distasteful practice, as you can never guarantee that the other party wont actually get hurt in the process, especially so with strangers. With friends, you have some measure of knowing where you stand and how the person would take it, and you actually have a vested interest in *NOT* going too far.

If it is clear that the person is in on the joke and giving dramatic reactions to continue the performance/game, then it is all in good fun, and no longer belongs to the trolling realm, imho.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Trolling people is fun because you get to bash their skulls into pieces with giant fists of fury and eat them alive as they suffer eternal torment in the big fat troll belly!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

There's (A) baiting users (the "formal" definition of trolling) and even insulting others (the "formal" definition of flaming), and then there's (B) exploiting other people's feelings for one's own amusement and worse, taking it outside the forum. The latter went way too far and wasn't funny at all. In fact, I don't even consider it "trolling," it's stalking. And I don't even like seeing other people treated that way.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Trolling...

I tend to troll people in real life, to be honest. The other day for some reason I took side I really had no opinion on in a minor discussion, nothing too serious. If the debate would have developed into argument I would have backed off, arguing is not my style. I guess I like developing thought more than I do not.
    I think this is sophistry rather than trolling.

MBTI
    yupp

hmm i guess so basically, what the conclusion is it goes to far when the other party becomes hurt but since we can not know because of the anonimity of the internet all trolling is bad?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so