User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does feeling intimidated by certain posters limit your participation in threads?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

48 59.26%
  • Sometimes

30 37.04%
  • Always

3 3.70%
First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I honestly haven't given it any thought until recently.

Is the fact that effective policing of the forum (to prevent sexual harassment, etc) can't simply rely on everyone to report abuse (due to said intimidation coupled with misguided compassion) news to you?
    Well, I suspect you know the answer now that you've thought about it.

No, I'm aware of that. However, reporting information to the Mods is the most effective way to stop one user from intimidating another. They can't read all the posts on the forum, and most of the time it is difficult to read a post and recognize how people are feeling. Moreover, even if they could read all the posts, people have been known to be intimated through PMs. And of course, we don't read PMs so someone would have to forward them to the Mods for them to be aware of the situation.

I think the bottom line here is that this forum is not run as a police state. We rely on people to tell us if they are feeling intimidated. Then, we look for evidence to corroborate the story and then decide on an action based on our interpretation of the severity of the situation. Of course, I'd rather your poll had zero selections for "sometimes," but that will never happen because people don't take and process information identically. With that said, very few things upset me on these forums; however, sexual harassment is one of them. I think that speaks for itself.

I have to leave now, so don't think my delayed response suggests I'm intimidated by you.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

@Haight: as one of the people who has voted 'sometimes', I would like to say that Im fully taking responsibility for that vote. What I mean is, I know it is my choice to report things or not report them an live with the consequences my actions have. I am ok with that, as it teaches me how to navigate the world/people in a better way and how to deal with my own hurdles in life. It is however nice to know that the mods are there as a safety net in case I ever need it.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Reps are for quick responses, and not intended to further debate. I think certain people will spam the rep wall with a continued argument because it is private (I know now) and you are not allowed to reply. They can have the last word and don't have to face repercussions of their ideas. It looks like a loophole for people who do not want to take responsibility for their ideas. Because there isn't a way to delete those comment, it really irritates me enough to actually put someone on ignore.

I have been intimidated a couple of times on forums in the past, but not now. I do get frustrated with some posters, but I wouldn't say I actually dislike anyone, just their ideas.
    wait, we're not suppose to respond to reps? I always do either through vm or pm, and i haven't gotten in trouble
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    No, not intimidated. I don't really have the kind of style that drags me into battles though.
    Yeah, similar for me (except in my p-offed counterphobic moments, which aren't all that frequent). I guess there have been a few users I find a little intimidating or unpleasant to deal with, but it's more just that I can't be bothered getting into an argument or don't think it would be productive.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    wait, we're not suppose to respond to reps? I always do either through vm or pm, and i haven't gotten in trouble
    Sorry - that's not what I meant. I meant that you can't respond directly, and if you do not want to engage someone privately, then there is no way to address it.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Sorry - that's not what I meant. I meant that you can't respond directly, and if you do not want to engage someone privately, then there is no way to address it.
    do what i've done in the past tell them if they don't stop that you're taking it to the mods, usually that works. if they keep on report they're ass. take a screen shot of the rep and pm a mod.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

WALMART

Intimidated? No.

Though I do believe some forum-goers do have a penchant for causing a certain level of unrest in the general flow of things, which I try to avoid.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    I think the bottom line here is that this forum is not run as a police state. We rely on people to tell us if they are feeling intimidated. Then, we look for evidence to corroborate the story and then decide on an action based on our interpretation of the severity of the situation. Of course, I'd rather your poll had zero selections for "sometimes," but that will never happen because people don't take and process information identically. With that said, very few things upset me on these forums; however, sexual harassment is one of them. I think that speaks for itself.
    It would only speak for itself if it never happened...

I've talked a bit in the past about the kind of environments and permissiveness that foster sexual harassment. Such as tolerating sexually aggressive insults, sexually exploitative content and in other ways sanctioning known offenders.

But I digress...

don't think my delayed response suggests I'm intimidated by you.
    Oh, I don't think you're intimidated by little old' *me*, at all.

Edit. There is also the problem of apathy that arises when nothing seems to happen regarding reported posts. I know this has led to my being apathetic and lax in reporting things. Quite often "who" does the reporting seems to be more important then any impartial assessment of "what" is reported.
    This ties back into the transparency debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

So nice for me to be a target of sexual harassment from the same guy too.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Z would have us believe that forum users are effectively gagged by their fear of people like @andante and myself.

I want to find out if this is true.
    I don't know if "intimidating" is the best word. I'm not referring specifically to the two of you but there are members with a tendency towards an aggressive or argumentative posting style. It does drive some people away from threads and unfortunately it sometimes escalates into warnings or infractions. Frequently, it derails threads. An analogy is this - there was a guy I used to work with who was confrontational and seemed to get upset all the time. You just learned to avoid him because he was unpleasant to deal with.

There is a balance on this stuff though. Lively debate is important to have. Otherwise things can get boring.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639