User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does feeling intimidated by certain posters limit your participation in threads?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

48 59.26%
  • Sometimes

30 37.04%
  • Always

3 3.70%
First 4567816 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Never.

Although I think posters who try to morally brow-beat others into echoing their world views should get fucked.

MBTI
    INTj

That's a strange comment.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    That's a strange comment.
    I'm a strange person. *shrug*

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    You don't "win" at the internet and life is too short. If, at the end of life, I am given a print out of how I spent my time... I already know how horrified I will be to see the months spent /played at internet forums. I don't want a subcategory depicting how much time I wasted in arguing with someone when neither of us is going to change our minds or be enlightened by the other. Pass.
    You are a wise bunny.

To the OP: Never.
    I'm delighted to hear it because:

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    I'm very conflict avoidant so i am loath to report anyone.
    The only time i have done so was when a person joined the forum specifically to harass and try to manipulate me personally. I later reported them to the police irl as i felt they possibly posed a real threat.

There is one forum member who has sent me numerous reps and asked for my phone number and i know they have done so with at least three other female members. I have not reponded to a single one and still it persists....with others too. I have not reported them but if it does continue much longer i may end up doing so.
    And I know how much you hate that crap going on on your forum.
    I like to give people a chance to resolve their issues rather than get report happy.
    I don't. Let them resolve their "issues" elsewhere.
    Seriously. Report that shit. Think of it this way: by not doing so you are giving more consideration to the offender than his "targets".

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I'm not sure I'd label it "fear", but yes, there are definitely cases where I decide not to post in certain threads - on topics that interest me - because I don't want to get involved with either the drama or the aggressive tone of the discussion. I'll even go so far as to spend a fair bit of time writing before deciding "bah, why bother -- I don't need to listen to the storm this would cause". It's not simply an issue of disagreement -- there are posters here with whom I disagree about many things, especially on the politics subforum (PureMercury, DiscoBiscuit) with whom I enjoy discussing/debating our differing views. But the tone of those conversations is generally civil, if fervent - and if it turns sour, I disengage from the discussion. Short answer? Yes.

Honestly, there have been threads that I have avoided joining in on due the tone of discussion where you've been involved. However, I can't recall many, if any, instances where you (or Andante, for that matter) have been primarily responsible for the descent into the tone that drives me away from participating. Your participation in those instances tends to be more reactive than one of instigation. Once the tone has devolved however, I'm reluctant to join in on either side (or as tends to be the case, in the middle).
    Thank you for your honesty.

Can I just say that if anyone PMs/reps me to say "I'd rather you didn't engage me on the forum." I will respect your wishes. A reverse "ignore", if you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Can I just say that if anyone PMs me to say "I'd rather you didn't engage me on the forum." I will respect your wishes. A reverse "ignore", if you will.
    I've actually told people to not talk to me, they just ignored my wishes and kept on keeping on
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Intimidated by certain posters ? No.

If it said intimidated by certain subjects, then it would be "sometimes".

Meaning if I don't know much about something then sometimes I avoid getting into it.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm a strange person. *shrug*
    Nope, that's definitely not it.
    Haight

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Nope, that's definitely not it.
    I'd be curious to hear what you thought "was" it.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Not intimated, but more likely really annoyed or offended at certain posters, who I realize there is no point in engaging or trying to 'discuss' things with, so I don't waste my time.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    And I know how much you hate that crap going on on your forum.
    Is the fact that some people on the forum are intimidated by others news to you? I would suspect that's true for every forum on teh internets.
    Haight