User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does feeling intimidated by certain posters limit your participation in threads?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

48 59.26%
  • Sometimes

30 37.04%
  • Always

3 3.70%
First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Yeah, yall the worst kind of dictators I guess. The ideas dictators.

I don't get it. If someone were intimidated by another Internet person (which is a pretty big "if"), they could just mash that ol' Ignore button and carry on.

If we're talking about harassment through other channels (PMs, VMs, reps), then one could take it a step further--they could mash the Report button and carry on.
    Or they could mash the rep@Z button. And they do, in their droves. Allegedly.

I don't get it either. But intimidation is a foreign concept to me.
    Hence this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Or they could mash the rep@Z button. And they do, in their droves. Allegedly.

I don't get it either. But intimidation is a foreign concept to me.
    Hence this thread.

I'm new but I got the impression that the reps are just for quick comments. I don't see the point in having conversations in the rep rather than in the posts or visitor messages. The only thing would be the fact that it is hidden. and even then why not personal messages?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Reps are the forum equivalent of chest-bumping (for people who don't chest bump).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Some people like to chat through reps, fun thing to do. Others use it for comments that seem superfluous to threads. That is what I mostly do.

Anew Leaf

Intimidated isn't the best word somehow, but I suppose it could be a form of it.

There is just a pocket of posters with whom I desire to have as little interaction with as possible. It's a mingling of how unpleasant they come across and what a waste of my time and energy they are. I've had a couple posters try intimidation on me via reps and posts and anything direct does very little to me except give me an excuse to narrow my eyes at them.

I avoid many topics for various reasons.

For Example:
    • Politics: I don't share the views in the OP and have no desire to try and create infallible logic posts defending my position.
    • Religion: I am tired of seeing people belittle each others beliefs out of a desire to show how awesome their own logic is, rather than having an actual discourse.
    • Sex: I am like @HelenOfTroy in that this is a topic I find more personal and as such not one I enjoy discussing much in the open.

You don't "win" at the internet and life is too short. If, at the end of life, I am given a print out of how I spent my time... I already know how horrified I will be to see the months spent /played at internet forums. I don't want a subcategory depicting how much time I wasted in arguing with someone when neither of us is going to change our minds or be enlightened by the other. Pass.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post

If we're talking about harassment through other channels (PMs, VMs, reps), then one could take it a step further--they could mash the Report button and carry on.

I'm very conflict avoidant so i am loath to report anyone.
    The only time i have done so was when a person joined the forum specifically to harass and try to manipulate me personally. I later reported them to the police irl as i felt they possibly posed a real threat.

There is one forum member who has sent me numerous reps and asked for my phone number and i know they have done so with at least three other female members. I have not reponded to a single one and still it persists....with others too. I have not reported them but if it does continue much longer i may end up doing so.

I like to give people a chance to resolve their issues rather than get report happy.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Permabanned

Harassers are super lame if you have a disagreement or negative feeling about someone in a thread don't bottle it up like a 13 year old and carry it to other threads.

MBTI
    INtP

Are you reluctant to post in certain threads for fear of the reaction of other posters?

Please explain.
    I'm not sure I'd label it "fear", but yes, there are definitely cases where I decide not to post in certain threads - on topics that interest me - because I don't want to get involved with either the drama or the aggressive tone of the discussion. I'll even go so far as to spend a fair bit of time writing before deciding "bah, why bother -- I don't need to listen to the storm this would cause". It's not simply an issue of disagreement -- there are posters here with whom I disagree about many things, especially on the politics subforum (PureMercury, DiscoBiscuit) with whom I enjoy discussing/debating our differing views. But the tone of those conversations is generally civil, if fervent - and if it turns sour, I disengage from the discussion. Short answer? Yes.

Z would have us believe that forum users are effectively gagged by their fear of people like @andante and myself.

I want to find out if this is true.
    Honestly, there have been threads that I have avoided joining in on due the tone of discussion where you've been involved. However, I can't recall many, if any, instances where you (or Andante, for that matter) have been primarily responsible for the descent into the tone that drives me away from participating. Your participation in those instances tends to be more reactive than one of instigation. Once the tone has devolved however, I'm reluctant to join in on either side (or as tends to be the case, in the middle).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTj

To the OP: Never.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    yupp

no though, sometimes i regret it later, but never stopped me on the front end
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so