User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does feeling intimidated by certain posters limit your participation in threads?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

48 59.26%
  • Sometimes

30 37.04%
  • Always

3 3.70%
First 1234513 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Well there are certain things i am comfortable talking about in the general. When it becomes personal however i often bow out.

I'm sure this happens, and also in the reverse (female intimidating male), though i think it's more frequent for male members to intimidate females using the rep system. There a couple of creepy stalkerish types that i believe could be quite harmful.
    But then i suppose it's up to people to personally report any abuse.
    In my experience its not going to stop at a rep though, cause there's no real way for someone repping to know if you're reading them or reacting or whatever, the one or two times I've had someone really attempt to intimidate me its been reps, visitor messages, private messages, pretty much the works and it really looks like they are melting down.

Not on this forum but another one I witnessed someone who was not well, that's the only way I can put it, go on a campaign of real pushy intimidating behaviour using all the forum apps to do so and then they posted threads, with pics, of them with all the local police, their friends, then posted pics of themselves at the range shooting and finally posted targets from the range which were the avatars of a couple of members they'd been disagreeing with!! It was mad, it was kind of like look, I'm armed and think I'm immune from investigation or prosecution!!!

Good ol' US of A there!

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I was intimidated into coming back.

MBTI
    INFJ

I pretty much just Leeroy Jenkins my way into threads.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Actually i can think of a very recent example on vent.

An invitation to flex banter muscles was (and should not have been) taken as an invitation to behave something akin to sexually frustrated Neanderthals which resulted in two males accosting one female in such a manner.

While i am pretty certain one of the two males really was trying to be humorous (albeit naively) i think the other really didn't understand the boundaries.

The female in question dealt with it well but at one point it looked close to chat rape.

And yes i feel that strongly about it, it was not a pleasant experience.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I am not asking for examples involving Helen, yourself or reps. You said you noticed a number of male posters use very aggressive, vulgar sexual obscenities to intimidate female posters from participating in threads. So it must have happened to others and in public. So there must be a way to substantiate your impression.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy
    chat rape.
    Chat-rape.
    Rep-rape.
    Vent-rape.
    Thread-rape.
    Rape threads.

My. I had no idea this was such a rapey forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I am not asking for examples involving Helen, yourself or reps. You said you noticed a number of male posters use very aggressive, vulgar sexual obscenities to intimidate female posters from participating in threads. So it must have happened to others and in public. So there must be a way to substantiate your impression.
    You missed the fact that I was recycling Helen's text (albeit with a different meaning) as well as her experience.
    /concise

Edit. I honestly can't remember all the filth that gets posted. Only my general impressions. One insult does remain clear in my memory, but no, I won't repeat it to the gleeful backyard sniggers of the little-boy's club.
    And no, it was not punished, deleted or in any way challenged.

You missed the fact that I was reiterating Helen's text (albeit with a different meaning) as well as her experience.
    /concise
    It was easy to miss considering that you said one thing and meant another.

Edit. I honestly can't remember all the filth that gets posted. Only my general impressions. One insult does remain clear in my memory, but no, I wont repeat it to the gleeful backyard sniggers of the little-boys club.
    And no, it was not punished, deleted or in any way challenged.
    You could send it to me via PM. I am interested to know who these people are.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    It was easy to miss considering that you said one thing and meant another.
    I did no such thing. Your reading comprehension failure is not my responsibility.

You could send it to me via PM. I am interested to know who these people are.
    Gossip isn't my style. I prefer public debate.

If you want examples of posters who use this kind of tactic: SmileyMan, Legerdemain, Edgar, Gingko spring to mind. There are others whose handles elude me. I can't believe you haven't noticed. Then again, you're probably not a target.

Edit. Jixmixfix, Duck_of_Death...
    [PLACE-HOLDER for more]

garbage

Intimidated? It's an Internet forum, not inner city Des Moines.