User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does feeling intimidated by certain posters limit your participation in threads?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

48 59.26%
  • Sometimes

30 37.04%
  • Always

3 3.70%
First 172526272829 Last

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I'm sorry that I don't understand irrationality and that I'm such a darned stickler for arguments that make sense. I'll try to do better in future.
    So you bloody well should. GOD. FEEL THE IRRATIONALITY. MAKE ILLOGICAL CIRCULAR ARGUMENTS THAT WILL NEVER END UNTIL YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE BUTTHURT.

Enjoy my arbitrary use of caps.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Keps Mnemnosyne View Post
    Very true, and something very admirable. Obviously, there will be differences on what a good post is, but I do distrust when people speak of impartiality as I think it is an ideal concept ultimately unachievable by humans. We do have egos, even if we try to control them and we do have an unfortunate aspect of letting our views influence our opinions of logic of others. That said, you may argue that you are truly impartial and of course I am not you and will admit to being biased by my own view of the human condition. Unfortunately, we will probably never agree on this and as it is a basic value, hard to prove or disprove, is something I should just accept.
    I won't argue that I'm "truly impartial", or even "truly objective" or that my assessment of a "good post" is any more valid than the next guy's. I'll just repeat what I said before: I'm impartial with regard to assessing an argument, irrespective of from whence it came. I can understand your doubting this, because it's pretty rare, nevertheless, I'm gifted that way. . My problem is that I sometimes (wrongly) assume others are equally capable of dispassionate assessments.
    This is partly because my engagement here is not personal in nature. It's intellectual (very loosely speaking). Few of the posters here are more than text on a screen to me, and since all text looks the same, I parse it in the same way. That's not to say I don't notice obvious repeated toxic behavioural patterns - trolling, ad hominem arguments etc - and don't form an assessment of that poster's character and motivation. Even then, if they make a good point, I'll support them. I could point out numerous instances of where I've done just that, so it's not impossible to prove at all.

When I said wrong question, I meant wrong question in regards to what information you seek, I thought the reason why you made this thread was to Which seemed to me (subjective, I know) an unusual method of doing it, as people who are truly intimidated by you are the ones least likely to respond and that the people who have responded seem to have stated that is not the central issue.
    I confess, I was seeking corroborative evidence for my own point of view, which I recieved in bucket loads, and I specifically made the poll anonymous so that genuinely intimidated people could still participate. Whilst it was pretty clear to me that Z was talking out of his ass, I could entertain the possibility that he was not, and so further investigation was called for.

The thread threw up other issues which were interesting to consider, so I thought it was worthwhile, even though it inevitabley was derailed by a lynching mob baying for my blood, as most of my threads are. I'm not intimidated Isn't it interesting though, how often people engage in the behaviours they claim to hate?
    However it was presumptuous of me to suggest that your purposes would be better served with a different question as I apparently presumed your motives for this thread incorrectly.
    No problem.
    That being said, if you are still willing to converse with me and answer questions, I would like to ask: Why did you start this thread, what did you expect from it, and what information do you ?hope? to gather from this thread?
    I hope I answered that above? My agenda was only partially formed, I was sincerely interested in hearing a wide range of views on the topic. Also, if I'm genuinely intimidating people, I want to know about it so that I can avoid them. I really don't want to make anyone feel that way.

I have, in fact, received messages in the past to the effect "I find you intimidating. I think if I engage you in debate, you'll win". I'd say that was a pretty rational fear... I've never had any that say "I find you intimidating. I'm afraid if I engage you in debate, you'll cut up my puppy and send it through the post". So I'm not too worried about the way I conduct myself here.

* *I am sorry if I insulted you, it was not my intention. *Nor should that be an excuse, so I am and will try harder to not be offensive. *I have no clue what percieved reason you are referring to. *If you are trying to say that a post of mine was ignored by you, my only post in a contentious thread in the past six months was *which was meant as a humorous post aimed at a particular member's concerns and was recognized by the one aimed at and was not expected to have been read by others. *If you are not talking about that post, I have no idea what you meant. *Could you clarify?
    You're really baffled that I found it offensive that you should single me out + lump me in with Z as a poster who routinely "ignore[s] good points and replace[s] it with name calling."? Worse, you said I was "not witty." Fucking harsh, dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

u kind of like attention don't you
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I won't argue that I'm "truly impartial", or even "truly objective" or that my assessment of a "good post" is any more valid than the next guy's. I'll just repeat what I said before: I'm impartial with regard to assessing an argument, irrespective of from whence it came. I can understand your doubting this, because it's pretty rare, nevertheless, I'm gifted that way. . My problem is that I sometimes (wrongly) assume others are equally capable of dispassionate assessments.
    This is partly because my engagement here is not personal in nature. It's intellectual (very loosely speaking). Few of the posters here are more than text on a screen to me, and since all text looks the same, I parse it in the same way. That's not to say I don't notice obvious repeated toxic behavioural patterns - trolling, ad hominem arguments etc - and don't form an assessment of that poster's character and motivation. Even then, if they make a good point, I'll support them. I could point out numerous instances of where I've done just that, so it's not impossible to prove at all.

I confess, I was seeking corroborative evidence for my own point of view, which I recieved in bucket loads, and I specifically made the poll anonymous so that genuinely intimidated people could still participate. Whilst it was pretty clear to me that Z was talking out of his ass, I could entertain the possibility that he was not, and so further investigation was called for.

The thread threw up other issues which were interesting to consider, so I thought it was worthwhile, even though it inevitabley was derailed by a lynching mob baying for my blood, as most of my threads are. I'm not intimidated Isn't it interesting though, how often people engage in the behaviours they claim to hate?
    No problem. I hope I answered that above? My agenda was only partially formed, I was sincerely interested in hearing a wide range of views on the topic. Also, if I'm genuinely intimidating people, I want to know about it so that I can avoid them. I really don't want to make anyone feel that way.

I have, in fact, received messages in the past to the effect "I find you intimidating. I think if I engage you in debate, you'll win". I'd say that was a pretty rational fear... I've never had any that say "I find you intimidating. I'm afraid if I engage you in debate, you'll cut up my puppy and send it through the post". So I'm not too worried about the way I conduct myself here.

You're really baffled that I found it offensive that you should single me out + lump me in with Z as a poster who routinely "ignore[s] good points and replace[s] it with name calling."? Worse, you said I was "not witty." Fucking harsh, dude.
    (Finishes the last lick of blood on my blunt Fi knife and puts it away.)

Maybe we should make a "what do you think of Salome?" thread?

obviously people who are really scared won't respond... hmmm.... but that could be interesting too. We could all PM a non biased member anonymously and they could type the PM out in the thread.

"Dear Salome."

That could be fun, or you could post publicly.

We need another good epic around here.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

There's a few members around here that I've learned it's best to just not engage. It does not mean I'm intimidated by them... Quite frankly, I just don't feel like dealing with them. I've seen several that are convinced that they know just exactly every little detail of my life and they think that I'm wrong in what I say about my life. Obviously, they know me and my life better than I do! So those people, I just ignore and move onto the next thread.

It's one thing to argue when you have facts and you know you are 100% right....it's another to argue when you have speculations and think you are 100% right.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

A lot of times the fear of looking stupid keeps me from posting things. I'm not gonna lie, some users on this site can be brutal. However, I think I've just learned to roll with the punches.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

I blame the patriarchy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Mm

So what have you determined besides that Z was wrong about people being intimidated? I guess, more of, how do you interpret the people who voted for sometimes? Or the responses that are in the thread?

I wish I could say it was interesting, unfortunately it seems to be part of human behavior.
    I hope I answered that above? My agenda was only partially formed, I was sincerely interested in hearing a wide range of views on the topic. Also, if I'm genuinely intimidating people, I want to know about it so that I can avoid them. I really don't want to make anyone feel that way.
    Yes, thanks for the answers.

I have, in fact, received messages in the past to the effect "I find you intimidating. I think if I engage you in debate, you'll win".
    Please tell me you responded with LOL as I know that I am not a good enough person to not have made some fun at their expense for that remark. Luckily or unluckily, Ive never had that experience.

You're really baffled that I found it offensive that you should single me out + lump me in with Z as a poster who routinely "ignore[s] good points and replace[s] it with name calling."?
    Not baffled by why you felt insulted, I knew the comparison was to be considered an insult. I thought you were saying that I had a specific reason to attack you which confused me. I would have said the same to several members, unfortunately you were the one who started this thread. I was trying to be blunt and was instead just offensive.

Worse, you said I was "not witty." Fucking harsh, dude.
    Okay this did slip by me and was rather offensive...calling for my blood would have been justified. Thank you for your forgiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Maybe we should make a "what do you think of Salome?" thread?

obviously people who are really scared won't respond... hmmm.... but that could be interesting too. We could all PM a non biased member anonymously and they could type the PM out in the thread.
    Finding a non-biased trusted by everyone member would be impossible, and a non-biased member would not stay unbiased for long. If we did by bot or something automatic, we would have to deal with trolls constantly.

We need another good epic around here.
    Find a rivalry. I suggest one of the SJs, they could use someone like you to spice up their 'enjoyment' of this forum.
    Love wouldn't exist without loneliness to inspire it.

Peach yogurt is made of love. And gnome kidneys. - Domino

I can cope and will cope without polluting my lungs. - Saslou

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Is this your veiled way of agreeing with the "troll?"
    It is my way of expressing a nagging feeling I have had about the OP since first reading it. Namely that Salome knows what the answer will be, but is asking the question anyway for some sort of validation. I admit this is mainly Ni speculation, but I'm sure Salome will have fun with it. No matter, a few relevant and informative observations have been generated.

For you to ask that question, means you must think every troll post attacking someone on this forum deserves to be checked for veracity, rather than dismissed out of hand. This despite forum rules stating that personal attacks will not be tolerated. (Yes, we know the mods only follow this rule when it suits them, but that's another thread).

A strange stance to take, I mean, I could make a whole bunch of unpleasant random speculations about you (about, your weight, say?) and post them in the next thread you start. I wouldn't, because I'm above such childish idiocy, but since you're obviously not, just think for a while about how much you'd appreciate that and get back to us about whether that's the kind of environment you want to participate in, 'cos I'm sure someone will be happy to oblige you.

Moving on, you have said both that the post deserves such attention / scrutiny, (presumably because you're such a big fan of ad hominem attacks along with all the other reasoning errors you routinely make ) but also that there's no way to check the veracity of the claims. I'm getting a bit bored pointing out the obvious to you so I'll let you join the dots on that one.

Let's ignore the truth and assume that the post does deserve attention. Is there really any way of checking it's truthiness?
    Well now, let's see.
    First claim.
    Wow. For a troll post that you would prefer be dismissed out of hand, you are remarkably eager and profuse in mounting a defense. Of course, since it pertains to you, you are the one whose consideration it most merits.

The more detailed the content of a troll post, the more effort it takes to assess its veracity or utility; and the more on-topic, the more worthwhile it is to do so. "Member X is a disgusting jerk" is probably safe to dismiss as an empty insult. "Member X killed a puppy" is quite specific, but likely off-topic on a thread about handwriting styles or the federal deficit. By contrast, the truth of this particular post which you have conveniently recapped is not as readily parsed, while the accusations do relate to the OP. Moreover, the liberal use of "could be", "may/may not", and questions in place of statements identify the content as speculation rather than absolute assertion, and enhance the appearance of credibility. Perhaps just a skillful troll, but knowing little about you and even less about the troll, I would be more reluctant to dismiss such a post out of hand. I do not assume such posts to be true, but take them in aggregate with the other posts on the thread, as just more data in the data set.

I've spent a good deal of time here, Coriolis, teaching you some of the basic principles of being able to critically evaluate an argument. I hope you put them to good use to save yourself further embarrassment.

And no, to answer your own particular obsession, you don't look fat, just really, really silly.
    Actually, since you have never seen me or my photo, it is silly for you to make any assertions about my weight or appearance. But no matter, that is off-topic. And thanks, but I received my instruction in critical analysis elsewhere, which is fortunate since my job depends on it. I fear your lessons would leave me suited more for stand-up comedy, but then people sometimes do tell me I should lighten up.

Just like the fat lady in the dress. At least you have some people who are willing to give you their honest opinion, and at least you aren't off in a corner crying over the replies.

(FWIW, for the benefit of those who like to observe functions in action, I have been told my exchange with Salome on this thread is a good example of Ti/Te conflict. I am no JCF expert, so more food for thought.)
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Keps Mnemnosyne View Post
    Find a rivalry.
    dibs

Actually, I'll be anyone's rival. Everyone's rival.

You're all idiots. You should just stop talking now before you walk into a pole and shatter your skull and give yourselves further brain damage. Stop trying to use logic before you hurt yourselves with it. What, can't take the heat from bologna? Are you crying now? You are all crybabies.