User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does feeling intimidated by certain posters limit your participation in threads?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

48 59.26%
  • Sometimes

30 37.04%
  • Always

3 3.70%
First 152324252627 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by INA View Post
    Fixed it for you.
    Learn to speak the language, missy!
    Artistic license, dammit.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    It was because it contained nothing but thinly veiled (and sometimes not veiled) insults and personal attacks. There's no "truth" to check for.
    Insults and personal attacks usually contain some kind of assertion about the insultee. Such assertions can be true or false regardless of the intention with which they are expressed.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Insults and personal attacks usually contain some kind of assertion about the insultee. Such assertions can be true or false regardless of the intention with which they are expressed.
    Sure. I should have said, "there is no 'truth' to these insults that we are capable of determining."

Oh, I think I'll append this, too: "Additionally, we have no reason to think these charges are likely to be true, as they are outlandish and coming from a place of emotional distress."

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Read my type.
    no doubt

MBTI
    INTJ

No, I never feel "intimidated". I do, however, avoid interacting with certain types of people, which includes but not limited to:

1. Retarded folk who are convinced they are not retarded and always seem to have something "insightful" to say.
    2. People with persecution complexes.
    3. The "righteous indignation" crowd.

#2 and #3 usually overlap, but either one of those is enough to earn the place on my ignore list, so I figured I state them separately. Btw, the ignore function is by far the best feature on this board, especially given the fact that it keeps people on the list even if they change their username.

For some reason, however, ignoring a person doesn't automatically ignore the threads that they have started, so I inadvertently get sucked into discussions started by them.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Grooming

The most alarming person I have met on Central successfully groomed me. They understood my needs and vulnerabilities and played to them perfectly until I trusted them.

Then they presented themselves to me naked. At this point all my alarms went off and I re-evaluated.

I realised I had been taken in by an expert. And rather than talking to a sweet, young thing, naive, innocent and searching, I was either talking to a psychopathic personality or perhaps a middle-aged policeman seeking to entrap me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

It wasn't because it was from a troll that it was dismissed. It was because it contained nothing but thinly veiled (and sometimes not veiled) insults and personal attacks. There's no "truth" to check for.

Do you really need to be told this? Why must you be so self-righteous?
    Yes, I do. I prefer asking over making assumptions, especially when I don't know the people on either side of such a comment well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Would that be you making an argument from ignorance, AGAIN?

How about you defer to MY greater knowledge and STFU about things that don't concern you already?
    I can't be making an "argument from ignorance" concerning the accusations in the troll post, because I am not making an argument about them at all. I am simply pointing out a question that deserves examination. It might be a defensible position to claim that all posts that appear to be trolling should be dismissed out of hand, but so far you have not made that claim, much less attempted to defend it.

When I encounter a subject about which it is clear you have greater knowledge, I will certainly defer to it.

For now, though, the OP is looking more and more like the forum version of that iconic question, "does this dress make me look fat?"
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Yes, I do. I prefer asking over making assumptions, especially when I don't know the people on either side of such a comment well at all.

I can't be making an "argument from ignorance" concerning the accusations in the troll post, because I am not making an argument about them at all. I am simply pointing out a question that deserves examination. It might be a defensible position to claim that all posts that appear to be trolling should be dismissed out of hand, but so far you have not made that claim, much less attempted to defend it.

When I encounter a subject about which it is clear you have greater knowledge, I will certainly defer to it.

For now, though, the OP is looking more and more like the forum version of that iconic question, "does this dress make me look fat?"
    You must have some odd ideas about what makes something worthy of attention if you think that the internet equivalent of someone shouting "crazy bitch" qualifies.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

You must have some odd ideas about what makes something worthy of attention if you think that the internet equivalent of someone shouting "crazy bitch" qualifies.
    Perhaps I do. My response to the dress question, however, would be "no, you just are fat" (assuming I really think so).
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Perhaps I do. My response to the dress question, however, would be "no, you just are fat" (assuming I really think so).
    Is this your veiled way of agreeing with the "troll?"