User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does feeling intimidated by certain posters limit your participation in threads?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

    48 59.26%
  • Sometimes

    30 37.04%
  • Always

    3 3.70%
First 111920212223 Last

Results 201 to 210 of 299

  1. #201
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keps Mnemnosyne View Post
    Intimidated, no. Aggravated by how some posters post in heated topics, yes. Debates involving certain members (not just Z and Salomé) often ignore each others' good points and replace it with name calling. It's not witty. It is showmanship. The "I'm right because I am, and you're too stupid to know it" is dull; it would at least be more enjoyable for the rest of us if these members starting calling each other pigeons and kiwi (not to offend the Kiwis). What is worse is that too often good posts get ignored if they can not be used by either side as ammunition for their 'righteousness'. Or if it can be used as ammunition, the words will be twisted to be used and this member will be pulled or pushed into having one of the two sides. In essence, I believe that writing a no-content post that adds an oblique insult at one of the members arguing will get you involved in the 'debate' while a neutral or third side good quality post is ignored.

    I know this reply is more than what you, Salomé, specifically asked for, but it seems to me that you are asking the wrong question about how and why your (and others') impact influence members posting in the contentious threads. (Nor is this meant to be indicative of my like or dislike of anyone, or of my dis/agreement with their overall ideas).
    You have described some of the pointlessly testy interactions on the forum very well. I'm not sure intimidation is the word for it exactly. That involves fear, or coercion by threat. It's not that people are afraid of members who post this way, they just prefer not to endure the unpleasantness of dealing with them. I would call it bellligerence or even noise rather than intimidation. (True intimidation seems more like posts that do involve targeted threats, or harrassment via rep or PM.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I guess if you can't figure that out for yourself, you're not as smart as you think you are.
    An excellent example of what Keps described. The veracity of a post is independent of my ability to corroborate it, or my overall intelligence level. I raised a general, impersonal question, and you chose to turn it into a reply that is directed personally at me, and says nothing about my original question. No, I'm not offended. I know this kind of reply is par for the course for some members. I don't put anyone on ignore, though, because eventually, everyone has something to say that I find worthwhile.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  2. #202
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Keps Mnemnosyne View Post
    Intimidated, no. Aggravated by how some posters post in heated topics, yes. Debates involving certain members (not just Z and Salomé) often ignore each others' good points and replace it with name calling. It's not witty. It is showmanship. The "I'm right because I am, and you're too stupid to know it" is dull; it would at least be more enjoyable for the rest of us if these members starting calling each other pigeons and kiwi (not to offend the Kiwis). What is worse is that too often good posts get ignored if they can not be used by either side as ammunition for their 'righteousness'. Or if it can be used as ammunition, the words will be twisted to be used and this member will be pulled or pushed into having one of the two sides. In essence, I believe that writing a no-content post that adds an oblique insult at one of the members arguing will get you involved in the 'debate' while a neutral or third side good quality post is ignored.

    I know this reply is more than what you, Salomé, specifically asked for, but it seems to me that you are asking the wrong question about how and why your (and others') impact influence members posting in the contentious threads. (Nor is this meant to be indicative of my like or dislike of anyone, or of my dis/agreement with their overall ideas).
    ^ This.

    I used to be intimidated by some members, but that was before I understood them; I was only intimidated because I couldn't predict them. But now I can, so they're easier to deal with -- or at least, easier to avoid. Now I agree with Keps. It's not that they're intimidating, but that it's frustrating how they immaturely over-react to things, and are unable to pick their battles, let alone follow through with them in a logical manner. Instead it becomes a (slightly) more eloquent version of going "Well... YOUR MOM!"
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  3. #203
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You have described some of the pointlessly testy interactions on the forum very well. I'm not sure intimidation is the word for it exactly. That involves fear, or coercion by threat. It's not that people are afraid of members who post this way, they just prefer not to endure the unpleasantness of dealing with them. I would call it bellligerence or even noise rather than intimidation. (True intimidation seems more like posts that do involve targeted threats, or harrassment via rep or PM.)
    Exactly.

  4. #204
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The veracity of a post is independent of my ability to corroborate it, or my overall intelligence level. I raised a general, impersonal question, and you chose to turn it into a reply that is directed personally at me, and says nothing about my original question. No, I'm not offended.
    I'm sorry, but you're wrong. And you know you're wrong. If you can't read between the lines of an obvious troll post full of contradictions, (easily refutable) lies and personal attack of the "you're crazy" variety, and instead choose to endorse the sentiment by your passive-aggressive "question" and implied agreement (Xmas present? really? tripped yourself up big time there!), it suggests that your powers of discernment are pretty... questionable. Personally, I think you are being disingenuous, but you could just be gullible, it's possible. This is the second time I've seen you commit a logical fallacy of the "you can't prove it's false therefore it must be true variety". Wrong on more than one level.

    I have noticed a pattern on this board where, whenever I expose flaws in another's reasoning, (which is a particular strength of mine), they respond with butthurt antagonism and childish stone-throwing/ducking behaviour. This is especially true of INTJs who are often so convinced of their infallibility that it comes as quite a shock and a severe ego-wound to be out-maneuvered in debate. You are just the last in a long line of such people who have sadly, lost my respect by resorting to such weaksauce trolling. I hope you don't become obsessed ala InvisibleJim. That would be a pity because, unlike him, you sometimes produce posts worth reading.

    ----

    As an aside, the post was reported and has been left in tact. Further evidence of the problem I outlined earlier - namely that the mods choose whether or not to apply the rules based on their own personal prejudices. So I guess it has served a purpose after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  5. #205
    Senior Member tinker683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    LOL. You expect me to believe that? My brother is an ISFJ like you and I know ISFJs are too sensitive to ever say what they mean and I think you're crying on the other side of that computer screen of yours.
    Hey now, as an ISFJ I'll have you only I don't cry everytime I get insulted or attacked....

    ....just most of the time
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

  6. #206
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I'm sorry, but you're wrong. And you know you're wrong. If you can't read between the lines of an obvious troll post full of contradictions, (easily refutable) lies and personal attack of the "you're crazy" variety, and instead choose to endorse the sentiment by your passive-aggressive "question" and implied agreement (Xmas present? really? tripped yourself up big time there!), it suggests that your powers of discernment are pretty... questionable. Personally, I think you are being disingenuous, but you could just be gullible, it's possible. This is the second time I've seen you commit a logical fallacy of the "you can't prove it's false therefore it must be true variety". Wrong on more than one level.
    Just because someone is trolling doesn't make his/her observations automatically wrong. My point is that one should consider the actual contents of a post, not just the reputation of the posting member. You are welcome to disagree with this sentiment, but that is all you can call "wrong" since that is the entirety of my point. I have made no claims about the validity of the subject "troll post" either way. My joke about Christmas presents in stockings is simply to point out that not all sock (puppets) are empty, or full of bad things. I will leave others more familiar with the situation to determine which category the offending post falls into.

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I have noticed a pattern on this board where, whenever I expose flaws in another's reasoning, (which is a particular strength of mine), they respond with butthurt antagonism and childish stone-throwing/ducking behaviour. This is especially true of INTJs who are often so convinced of their infallibility that it comes as quite a shock and a severe ego-wound to be out-maneuvered in debate. You are just the last in a long line of such people who have sadly, lost my respect by resorting to such weaksauce trolling. I hope you don't become obsessed ala InvisibleJim. That would be a pity because, unlike him, you sometimes produce posts worth reading.
    I doubt I am the only member here who would consider your estimation of your own reasoning and analysis skills to be a bit overinflated. It is one thing to tell someone, "you're wrong, and I beat you in this argument"'; it is quite another actually to do it. I have had people expose flaws or incorrect assumptions in my statements, resulting in a worthwhile discussion and learning experience, but you have not been one of them. Too bad, because you probably could do a nice job if you made the effort.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  7. #207
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Just because someone is trolling doesn't make his/her observations automatically wrong. My point is that one should consider the actual contents of a post, not just the reputation of the posting member. You are welcome to disagree with this sentiment, but that is all you can call "wrong" since that is the entirety of my point. I have made no claims about the validity of the subject "troll post" either way. My joke about Christmas presents in stockings is simply to point out that not all sock (puppets) are empty, or full of bad things. I will leave others more familiar with the situation to determine which category the offending post falls into.


    I doubt I am the only member here who would consider your estimation of your own reasoning and analysis skills to be a bit overinflated. It is one thing to tell someone, "you're wrong, and I beat you in this argument"'; it is quite another actually to do it. I have had people expose flaws or incorrect assumptions in my statements, resulting in a worthwhile discussion and learning experience, but you have not been one of them. Too bad, because you probably could do a nice job if you made the effort.
    Nice try.
    Convinces no one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  8. #208
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Convinces no one.
    Wrong.

  9. #209
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Nice try.
    Convinces no one me not at all.
    Fixed.

    Perhaps you should set up a poll.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  10. #210
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,651

    Default

    Well I still don't understand circular reasoning.

Similar Threads

  1. [E9] Type Nine: Are you drawn to other Type Nines?
    By gromit in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 09:44 PM
  2. [INTP] INTPs: are you obsessed, by default?
    By alpaca in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 09:16 AM
  3. Introverts: Are you energized by other Introverts?
    By BlackCat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 03:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO