User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does feeling intimidated by certain posters limit your participation in threads?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

48 59.26%
  • Sometimes

30 37.04%
  • Always

3 3.70%
First 9171819202129 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Nope! I love when people argue and get heated; thats when the mocking starts. Delicious.

However I generally don't follow threads with topics that bore me.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Mm

Intimidated, no. Aggravated by how some posters post in heated topics, yes. Debates involving certain members (not just Z and Salomé) often ignore each others' good points and replace it with name calling. It's not witty. It is showmanship. The "I'm right because I am, and you're too stupid to know it" is dull; it would at least be more enjoyable for the rest of us if these members starting calling each other pigeons and kiwi (not to offend the Kiwis). What is worse is that too often good posts get ignored if they can not be used by either side as ammunition for their 'righteousness'. Or if it can be used as ammunition, the words will be twisted to be used and this member will be pulled or pushed into having one of the two sides. In essence, I believe that writing a no-content post that adds an oblique insult at one of the members arguing will get you involved in the 'debate' while a neutral or third side good quality post is ignored.

I know this reply is more than what you, Salomé, specifically asked for, but it seems to me that you are asking the wrong question about how and why your (and others') impact influence members posting in the contentious threads. (Nor is this meant to be indicative of my like or dislike of anyone, or of my dis/agreement with their overall ideas).
    Love wouldn't exist without loneliness to inspire it.

Peach yogurt is made of love. And gnome kidneys. - Domino

I can cope and will cope without polluting my lungs. - Saslou

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    Oh awesome! I thought it was just invisible! Well that would be no good! I would just be ridiculously curious!
    Being quoted by people on your ignore list still results in a notification, too. So the ignore function does not provide much bliss.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Obviously, but is there any validity to the words coming out of its mouth? Or should we just shoot the messenger?
    I guess if you can't figure that out for yourself, you're not as smart as you think you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    won't engage in very frequently simply because I know I'm outgunned.
    Definitely a big part of what's going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    My guess is this is not so much a case of being cowardly so much as being banned.
    Or both. Sounds a lot like the illiterate ramblings of a well-known buttsore INTJ, to me.

The wonderful irony (were he the lurker he claims to be) is that I am the person who has managed to encourage his ONLY participation on the forum.

Way to defeat your own argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Keps Mnemnosyne View Post
    Intimidated, no. Aggravated by how some posters post in heated topics, yes. Debates involving certain members (not just Z and Salomé) often ignore each others' good points and replace it with name calling.
    I recognise Z, I do not recognise myself. I draw a lot of fire because I make strong statements, and I don't back down. But I don't simply dismiss the viewpoints of others. If that were the case, I wouldn't have bothered starting this thread. I acknowledge good points when I see them, even if I find the poster to be personally obnoxious or antagonistic towards me. I am impartial in this regard (which is rare, on this forum). I don't make a habit of back-slapping or cabal-building though - those are the tactics of people with no confidence in their own opinions or abilities. An argument should stand or fall entirely on its own merits.

I know this reply is more than what you, Salomé, specifically asked for, but it seems to me that you are asking the wrong question about how and why your (and others') impact influence members posting in the contentious threads. (Nor is this meant to be indicative of my like or dislike of anyone, or of my dis/agreement with their overall ideas).
    You know what I find dismissive? When people tell me I'm asking the WRONG question.
    Just because it isn't the question YOU want me to ask, doesn't make it the "wrong" one. There's no such thing as a "wrong question", only incorrect answers. (To label a question "wrong" is simply Fe-heavy bias / arrogance attempting to suppress independent thought). If people could just figure this out, they might be able to avoid being so reactionary and petty. Maybe ask their own questions? Or, I dunno, think outside the box a little and use the question as a launching pad to explore other ideas.
    /how Ne of me

In essence, I believe that writing a no-content post that adds an oblique insult at one of the members arguing will get you involved in the 'debate' while a neutral or third side good quality post is ignored.
    Just because a post isn't responded to, doesn't mean it's ignored. Good quality posts don't always need anything added to them. Unless you're one of the people who like to see a screen full of +1s and other content-free validation?
    The controversial posters are almost always NTs and we will only focus on those posts that require challenging/clarification. This shouldn't be percieved as a sleight.

Although I now understand your reason for insulting me.
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Definitely a big part of what's going on here.
    Even mini-guns miss with a high number of bullets.

garbage

You know what I find dismissive? When people tell me I'm asking the WRONG question.
    Just because it isn't the question YOU want me to ask, doesn't make it the "wrong" one. There's no such thing as a "wrong question", only incorrect answers. (To label a question "wrong" is simply Fe-heavy bias / arrogance attempting to suppress independent thought). If people could just figure this out, they might be able to avoid being so reactionary and petty. Maybe ask their own questions? Or, I dunno, think outside the box a little and use the question as a launching pad to explore other ideas.
    /how Ne of me
    I usually don't bother to reply to posts like this one.

But I'll say that a balls-out rant as a reply to "I think you're going about asking the question that you're trying to ask in the wrong way" is completely disproportionate. And that, further, by answering a question other than the one you asked, Keps was thinking outside the box and using the question as a launching pad to explore other ideas.

If (if!) you're wondering about the nature of "intimidation" on the forum, this is itself a good example.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I usually don't bother to reply to posts like this one.

But I'll say that a balls-out rant as a reply to "I think you're going about asking the question that you're trying to ask in the wrong way" is completely disproportionate. And that, further, by answering a question other than the one you asked, Keps was thinking outside the box and using the question as a launching pad to explore other ideas.

If (if!) you're wondering about the nature of "intimidation" on the forum, this is itself a good example.
    You have never seen a balls out rant if you think that was one.

I really don't care if people are intimidated by me personally or not, I'm just interested in the numbers/reasons/general feeling. (My whole life people have told me my intelligence is intimidating - bizarre + not my problem).
    It's frankly, idiotic to be intimidated by someone on the Internet who has no control over your life. Why would I care what idiots think?
    /So tired of idiots lecturing me / not in the mood to appease it.

(not that I'm calling anyone in this thread an idiot)
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

I really don't care if people are intimidated by me personally or not, I'm just interested in the numbers/reasons/general feeling. (My whole life people have told me my intelligence is intimidating - bizarre + not my problem).
    It's frankly, idiotic to be intimidated by someone on the Internet who has no control over your life. Why would I care what idiots think?
    So tired of idiots lecturing me / not in the mood to appease it.

(not that I'm calling anyone in this thread an idiot)
    Hehehe.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Being quoted by people on your ignore list still results in a notification, too. So the ignore function does not provide much bliss.
    Ha yes I can see how that might be an annoyance.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

garbage

Just to clarify, the perception that one has a disproportionate response is a reason that he/she is 'intimidating.'

Delivery is often much more intimidating than the presence of positive attributes such as intelligence, wisdom, or good looks.