123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Photogenic people

Are you photogenic? What makes photogenic people photogenic? I feel like a lot of people are now that we have the digital cameras and social medias and options to try over and over again. It's like we've mastered the art of our best angles in different lighting situations.

On the flip side, mysterious non photogenic people. How do they manage to mess it up every time? Good looking people just suddenly looking really ugly.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Are you photogenic? What makes photogenic people photogenic? I feel like a lot of people are now that we have the digital cameras and social medias and options to try over and over again. It's like we've mastered the art of our best angles in different lighting situations.

On the flip side, mysterious non photogenic people. How do they manage to mess it up every time? Good looking people just suddenly looking really ugly.

pretty much just practicing. I've noticed this thing some women do where they stand hand with one hand on a hip and tilt their head so their hair is falling down then look at a 3/4s view. it's very unnatural looking but it make most people look not hideous.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    pretty much just practicing. I've noticed this thing some women do where they stand hand with one hand on a hip and tilt their head so their hair is falling down then look at a 3/4s view. it's very unnatural looking but it make most people look not hideous.
    yeah man we're going to be laughing at that pose in 20 years.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Photogenic traits predate this huge surge of personal cameras we have. I would think photogenic people are those who have certain traits that translate well when photographed.. examples might be larger eyes, lips, symmetrical face, nice skin, dark brows... even just knowing how to smile and look natural.

If I see an instagram photo of someone zoomed up to their face, angled, looking good, I would probably not think them photogenic. If I see a normal, candid photo of them and they look good, I would say that.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I tend to think that people with stronger facial features (not monstrous, mind) are more photogenic than mushy or plain faced folks, even though the latter probably look more "normal" and attractive on a day to day basis.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I tend to think that people with stronger facial features (not monstrous, mind) are more photogenic than mushy or plain faced folks, even though the latter probably look more "normal" and attractive on a day to day basis.
    Yeah! More angular faces, perhaps. Strong cheek bones.

I'm not photogenic and I've got one of those blobby, rounder faces.
    ( . )( . )

Glycerine

Angular, dimensional faces and confidence. I have a flat face so my face comes off looking disproportionate and big in most pictures.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Photogenic people seem to be less conscious of the camera. Of course there's some element of knowing how to pose in a flattering way, but I think because a lot of people are trying to look a certain way (or are not sure how to look), they smile unnaturally, blink more etc. I think it has more to do with personality and comfort level than it does with beauty.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Eh, I used to think that was true because I had a friend (rounder face, smaller features) who had a bad habit of doing a cheeseball, toothy smile in photos if she was conscious of the camera. It made her look way different than IRL where I (and others) consider her to be very attractive, more so than most people. Definitely more attractive than me.

But then I started noticing that she still tended to, as a rule, look "off" even in candid shots. And she of course (being ever so slightly vain) analyzed them and came to the conclusion that for some reason, her face was "malleable." It could more easily be shaped by lighting and angle because of its general formlessness.

I, OTOH, generally look the same in most pics unless the angle is extremely odd, because I have more structure to my face. Its squarishness (larger and higher cheekbones, square jaw, larger pointed chin...banana chin lol) makes it more difficult to manipulate how it looks.

The same applies to people with exaggeratedly pointy faces, or long pointy noses, or "eagle" noses, or high foreheads, or whatever. They may look ratty or like skeletor IRL, but they capture well on camera.

I agree, though, that it means little about beauty.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Yeah, practice, basically.

But I'm working on my authenticity in non-candid shots. I'm used to tilting my head down and widening my eyes, but that takes too much damn effort. Lately, I've shot for the 'just be ok with how I look' approach.

The results are mixed, lol.