User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default What does the word "bored" mean to you?

I've noticed throughout the course of the last year at school and through living on the reserve the children often use the word bored as a way to express a general sense of unsettledness and discomfort.

I had always interpreted the word as meaning that the activity at hand was not worthy of interest or that a person had nothing to do.

At first, I thought the first usage of the word was an anomaly, but kept meeting kids in many different ages/stages/places that consistently used the word in this way.

Awhile ago I came across something suggesting that when people do not have sufficient attachment or experience severe emotional distress in their lives, it creates a sort of alarm bell that is meant to prompt the person to action.

However, if that bell is allowed to go off indefinitely without being attended to (usually because a child for example has little control over their circumstances), that alarm becomes something that is still present, but they are not aware of it. Instead it starts to manifest itself as a lack of focus, restlessness, boredome, disinterest (and tearlessness in response to events that normally would evoke tears). If that continues, it can advance to the point where normal fears intended to keep people safe disappear and the person may become preoccupied with self-harming or aggressive behaviours. There may be a fascination with death or things that people would normally find distasteful, dangerous and frightening. So far, so good. I don't think this is the sole cause of those behaviours, but probably is a large contributing factor.

I'm wondering if the adult response is the same as well. In particular, I'm interested in what adults mean by the words, "I'm bored" and how conscious they are of their emotional state when they make that statement.

Do you mean simply that you have nothing that interests you to do at that moment, or does it mean that something just feels off and you can't really settle in and enjoy something (or maybe something completely different that I haven't thought of)? Do you think it has anything to do with attachment, or is that all just hogwash at that point in a person's life?

Enneagram
    9w8

To help me answer your question I thought of what makes me bored...and I've decided that it is when I'm engaged in something for which I can find no purpose or meaning. And, things that I've heard a million times can be pretty boring, too. I have a theory. I don't want to put it to the test because the only real life INFJ I know is me, but I believe that if you bored one of us long enough, we would actually just fall down dead. Boredom is the number one thing that will move me to tears and make me want to scream...or worse, hurt somebody! Haha. My mind must constantly be engaged with some creative pursuit. If it's not, I'm bored.

Past participle of the verb "to bore", as in with an auger.

I cope with boredom by being cheeky.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I don't have much of a problem with boredom. I sometimes feel something akin to "boredom" when I'm procrastinating, I guess (a huge problem for me, with time-wasting) but it's not exactly boredom because I know there's something I should really be doing, always...even if I put it off. I might get bored if I'm stuck in a social occasion or a meeting or something/somewhere I really don't want to be. It's not all that common though. I think my mind is if anything generally over-active so with racing thoughts all the time it's hard to be bored.

To be very honest, I tend to find adults who complain a lot of being "bored" to be immature. It may not be universal, but a lot of them tend to be fickle, attention-seeking and self-centered. It's this sort of "the world is here to entertain me. I'm bored of you now, so though I've been all over you for a while, I'm going to find someone newer and shinier" thing. Really not impressed by that.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I don't think it provides an 'alarm bell prompting them to action' but the idea that weak attachment can create a sense of disinterest later on, seems interesting. where did you read this?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

it means that i have run out of things to entertain myself with atm.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

For me, it means I'm being lazy. Also, you can only be bored, if you're being boring.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

On the surface, it's that I'm not inspired to do anything in that moment.

Deeper down, it's more existential, it's that I don't have enough going on, that's meaningful/important, or goals I'm striving towards, thus I'm just trying to fill my time with amusements/interest, even if I'm distressed/bothered/'bored' that I'm not able to pinpoint something truly important and worthwhile to do with myself. I get into these modes off and on.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

It's related to detachment from the present moment and loss in the mental attachment to ideas/projections/expectations and their mismatch with reality.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
    For me, it means I'm being lazy. Also, you can only be bored, if you're being boring.
    Haha...I take it you've never had to sit through mandatory faculty meetings or all day long professional developments where you go over mountains of test data. That's not meant as a complaint. I figure all jobs have some features that are less than exciting.