User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

There are a few different concepts of boredom that I feel, which many have touched upon in some form or another.

1. Restlessness in waiting for an event. Being forced to do something you don't want to do, and counting the time until it's over. Mind-numbing is the best way to describe this; it's a passive boredom that once the alotted time is over, you will no longer be bored. (E.g. being lectured, watching a movie you have no interest in, waiting to run a race, etc.)

2. Feeling disengaged and as though there's nothing you can think of to feel engaged. It's kind of restless, something you'd waste an afternoon with a friend over, asking each other what you want to do with no one being able to come up with a suitable reply. (I.e. nothing sounds interesting.)

3. Being engaged and feeling no satisfaction or attachment to what you're doing, even if it's something you usually enjoy, or heck, if you're actually enjoying it you feel unfulfilled and it all seems pointless. Sleep/taking a nap to overcome this provides no relief. I'm not sure if this stems from depression, but I would describe this as existential boredom, and it's not something that's actively overcome easily. This is a boredom borne of dissatisfaction, not purposelessness. (I.e. nothing is interesting.)

4. Purposelessness and finding dissatisfaction because of it.

When I hear people say they're bored, I assume #2 unless I'm in a position of shared context and can infer they really mean #1. I don't believe I've really heard anyone talk about #3. #4 usually involves other qualifiers so there's no confusion in the meaning.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

garbage

Sometimes.. I'm in the mood to do one particular thing; and for some reason, I can't do that thing; and I can't shake the mood.

I've heard "restlessness" a few times in this thread. It's a pretty good word. There's more about boredom and restlessness here.

I do agree with you about attachment and how it links with neurotic trends, Karen Horney called that basic anxiety (although she coined the term neurotic trends too, main ones being moving towards others, moving away from others, moving against others/aggression), I also would agree that "boredom" is often an expression for those sorts of adaptive/developmental needs.

However, I dont know what my own particular attachment style/issues may be and when I use the term bored, which I rarely do, it means being unoccupied, having nothing to do or, more often, having no interest in any of the things which ARE available to do at the time.

There is a sort of age thing too this I think, when I was younger days were long, a day stuck indoors because of bad weather lasted forever, summer holidays felt like forever when they were only six weeks or something like that, now days are short, too short, never find enough time for everything I want to do. For me this has been something I link to aging, definitely, but I think people can experience it earlier or later in life depending on how reflective or thoughtful they are.

I've heard the boredom thing linked to Maslows hierarchy of needs too, like if someone is compelled to try and satisfy more advanced needs when they have more basic ones wanting they will become bored because their mind and motivation is elsewhere. I've seen this in my work, known individuals who its impossible to get to focus, get motivated or interested in any sort of planning or premediative action, no matter how vital, unless they're partnered up with someone. It might make sense to me to put relationships on hold while I get shelter, an income etc. sorted out but I can tolerate any anxiety or emotional tumult which goes with not being in a relationship, someone with legacies from poor attachments early in life isnt going to be quite the same.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I've noticed throughout the course of the last year at school and through living on the reserve the children often use the word bored as a way to express a general sense of unsettledness and discomfort.

I had always interpreted the word as meaning that the activity at hand was not worthy of interest or that a person had nothing to do.

At first, I thought the first usage of the word was an anomaly, but kept meeting kids in many different ages/stages/places that consistently used the word in this way.

Awhile ago I came across something suggesting that when people do not have sufficient attachment or experience severe emotional distress in their lives, it creates a sort of alarm bell that is meant to prompt the person to action.

However, if that bell is allowed to go off indefinitely without being attended to (usually because a child for example has little control over their circumstances), that alarm becomes something that is still present, but they are not aware of it. Instead it starts to manifest itself as a lack of focus, restlessness, boredome, disinterest (and tearlessness in response to events that normally would evoke tears). If that continues, it can advance to the point where normal fears intended to keep people safe disappear and the person may become preoccupied with self-harming or aggressive behaviours. There may be a fascination with death or things that people would normally find distasteful, dangerous and frightening. So far, so good. I don't think this is the sole cause of those behaviours, but probably is a large contributing factor.

I'm wondering if the adult response is the same as well. In particular, I'm interested in what adults mean by the words, "I'm bored" and how conscious they are of their emotional state when they make that statement.

Do you mean simply that you have nothing that interests you to do at that moment, or does it mean that something just feels off and you can't really settle in and enjoy something (or maybe something completely different that I haven't thought of)? Do you think it has anything to do with attachment, or is that all just hogwash at that point in a person's life?

WALMART

That you're a boring person.

I've often, often thought of myself as a boring person =|

WALMART

That you're a boring person.

I've often, often thought of myself as a boring person =|

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post

I had always interpreted the word as meaning that the activity at hand was not worthy of interest or that a person had nothing to do.

Do you mean simply that you have nothing that interests you to do at that moment, or does it mean that something just feels off and you can't really settle in and enjoy something (or maybe something completely different that I haven't thought of)?
    That's always been how I interpreted 'boredom'. I'm usually content, if not happy, just to sit and think when that happens. I would much rather be bored than miserable.

I think the second is more a symptom of depression.