User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    it means that i have run out of things to entertain myself with atm.
    Yes similar for me, means I need a change of scenery or activity, no longer feeling engaged in the moment.

MBTI
    INFJ

For me it's like some sort of stimulation where I'm taxed mentally somehow and not satisfied with the state of things, and can't change it for whatever reason.

Examples of what's boring to me:
    Repetitive work tasks that still require mental engagement, such as entering shitloads of arbitrary data.
    Excessive level grinding in games.
    Being made to hunt for things that I don't actually want to find, or would rather not find because it's a bad thing or I'll have to fix it if I do.

Examples of what's not boring:
    Fishing for hours and just staring at the water.
    Sitting around, as long as I can do it outside.
    Repetitive tasks that don't require a lot of mental work, like stamping papers, quick assemblies, speedsolving puzzle cubes.

Otherwise, I don't really get bored.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

A sense of restlessness and vague frustration coupled with nothing important/interesting to occupy my mind with. The activity has to trigger a dopamine spike in me, I think. Which is why I try to keep this from happening...it weakens my impulse control. Routines help in this.

garbage

Sometimes, I don't have the energy to do anything but I'm too wound up to lie down, take a nap, or meditate. That's when I get bored.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

bored is when i drill a hole in steel. after that its bored

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    bored is when i drill a hole in steel. after that its bored
    Does "stroked" come after that?
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    Does "stroked" come after that?
    hahahaha stroked and polished, psssst :o)

Bored means nothing that interests me at the moment. Bored soon reminds me of I'm bored by Iggy Pop.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I've noticed throughout the course of the last year at school and through living on the reserve the children often use the word bored as a way to express a general sense of unsettledness and discomfort.

I had always interpreted the word as meaning that the activity at hand was not worthy of interest or that a person had nothing to do.

At first, I thought the first usage of the word was an anomaly, but kept meeting kids in many different ages/stages/places that consistently used the word in this way.

Awhile ago I came across something suggesting that when people do not have sufficient attachment or experience severe emotional distress in their lives, it creates a sort of alarm bell that is meant to prompt the person to action.

However, if that bell is allowed to go off indefinitely without being attended to (usually because a child for example has little control over their circumstances), that alarm becomes something that is still present, but they are not aware of it. Instead it starts to manifest itself as a lack of focus, restlessness, boredome, disinterest (and tearlessness in response to events that normally would evoke tears). If that continues, it can advance to the point where normal fears intended to keep people safe disappear and the person may become preoccupied with self-harming or aggressive behaviours. There may be a fascination with death or things that people would normally find distasteful, dangerous and frightening. So far, so good. I don't think this is the sole cause of those behaviours, but probably is a large contributing factor.

I'm wondering if the adult response is the same as well. In particular, I'm interested in what adults mean by the words, "I'm bored" and how conscious they are of their emotional state when they make that statement.

Do you mean simply that you have nothing that interests you to do at that moment, or does it mean that something just feels off and you can't really settle in and enjoy something (or maybe something completely different that I haven't thought of)? Do you think it has anything to do with attachment, or is that all just hogwash at that point in a person's life?
    @bold, I have thought about this with my own life a lot.

I am rarely bored because being an only child introvert with parents who were always in their own world, I had to adapt to creating activities for myself from a very early age. However, I think that there can be levels of boredom that can be hidden by activity.

If I am completely honest with myself, I am bored with my life overall right now. In most moment-to-moment happenings, I am not bored because I have distracted myself from the main boredom by finding small snippets of activity with which to gloss over the real problems. I have felt adrift in my life since I graduated high-school. Why? Because my overarching purpose was gone. I had to start creating my own life and I found the idea so overwhelming, I just shut down. I had too many choices.

In some contrast, and I sort of feel like I bring this up far too much so that it's like a Saturned meme of give me sympathy, when I do not intend it to be as such, it's just the only really bad thing that has ever happened to me....... Was when my mom got sick and passed away. I saw that I had a choice in what to do to react to the situation, but that the answer was so clear, it wasn't really a choice at all. After she passed away I had a very strong desire that I had to do something with myself to cancel out the bad that had just happened. That I wasn't going to succumb to letting the darkness in this world win. It took something that major to make the first defibrillator jolt into my life and get some action going. Now, I am at a point where that initial energy has dissipated and I don't have another Huge Event to start another chain reaction in me... and it's making me stagnate a bit.

/Ramble.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Feeling antsy and restless and impatient with everything that I could possibly be doing right then. Emphasis on "possibly" -- because I'm often bored when I get forced into doing something boring for a long period of time, without allowing for any distractions.

I relate to most of the INFJs on this thread; I am rarely bored, and most of the time my boredom comes from knowing what I need to do and actively avoiding it. I also relate to what Saturned just posted about a boring minute/hour/day vs. a boring life. My first year of college was spent being interested in the small things and horrendously bored by the big picture. So I suppose I would give that broader boredom a different definition than I began this post with: I'd describe it as a lack of mental stimulation and -- most importantly -- purpose, in your lifestyle overall.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!