First 1234 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    Haha...I take it you've never had to sit through mandatory faculty meetings or all day long professional developments where you go over mountains of test data. That's not meant as a complaint. I figure all jobs have some features that are less than exciting.
    Well, yes... There's also that. I was really just throwing Zelda Fitzgerald's quote around, and to be fair, there are people out there that think this sort of work is fascinating. I'm just not one of them.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Boredom is when you are lazy about doing certain things that you can do yet your are daydreaming about things that you cannot do and lust to do them and hence you can only do nothing and not be satisfied.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I don't think it provides an 'alarm bell prompting them to action' but the idea that weak attachment can create a sense of disinterest later on, seems interesting. where did you read this?
    When things are working properly and it is short term, that feeling normally prompts us to action - a fight with someone close to us, response to an emergency for someone we care about etc.

The idea I came across is from Dr. Gordon Neufeld, a Vancouver professor/family therapist/person who worked with a lot of youth in the justice system, etc. He has written a number of books and videos, most centering around attachment, why people don't mature emotionally, bullying, developmental stages etc. I've found it pretty helpful in my teaching to give some kind of roadmap to work from.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

The definitions of boredom I've come across are more what I would perceive boredom to be. I'm not bored a lot, but when I am, it's usually got something to do with something looming that I want to avoid, or else not being able to really settle in and get something done, but not being able to put my finger on why.

Today, my example of boredom was refusing to engage with idiots who bore me because of their consistent pattern of flail. A total waste of oxygen.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

So for you it is using up resources when your inconvenience seems to yield little or no results?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm rarely bored. Usually it's when I have to be engaged in a task I find no joy in with little opportunity to create a diversion to entertain myself. For example, when I was a kid, I was made to go to church and there was nothing I could bring with to entertain me. I had to be quiet and look like I was paying attention.

Driving in itself is pretty boring but I'm rarely bored driving because I am more free to create diversions. I can enjoy the scenery, listen to music or book on CD, talk with passengers, etc.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

All my opinion but when engaging, there needs to be positive synergies even if the topic is one of disagreement. When you feel like you're being tapped for narc supply caused by their insecurities, it's a waste of oxygen. This differs from a results oriented perspective.

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
    Well, yes... There's also that. I was really just throwing Zelda Fitzgerald's quote around, and to be fair, there are people out there that think this sort of work is fascinating. I'm just not one of them.
    Haha...I totally get that!

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Boredom is when you are lazy about doing certain things that you can do yet your are daydreaming about things that you cannot do and lust to do them and hence you can only do nothing and not be satisfied.
    Yep. That about sums it up.