User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm always careful to hate on Nickelback and not people who like them. I know many wonderful people who like Nickelback. But:

Attached Images Attached Images

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think Nickelback has just become sort of a symbol of manufactured, bland, homogenous "rock." They're not the only ones who put that out, for sure. But they have become the emblem of it.

I actually hate Train more.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...orst_so_19.php

"Hey Soul Sister" is an orgy where bad ideas trade STDs, and the most syphilitic brain-fart stumbled in drunk from a Smash Mouth show. (For those of you who arrived late, Smash Mouth was a band from the late '90s that was formed when a soul patch met cake frosting. Their wikki-wikki scratching and dorkpie hats did to music what blood-soaked clowns do to the dreams of sleeping children.) Listen to "Hey, Soul Sister" a few times and you'll inevitably be reminded of the "whistling solo" from the Shrek house band's inescapable "All Star." From Smash Mouth, Train picked up an earworm that burrowed into society's asshole, laid 4.7 million iTunes eggs, and gave birth to a grey cloud of banality that covers the Earth.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Seriously, why is there such a stigma to liking Nickelback? Or any band for that matter? Why is it that people who like Nickelback get so much flak whereas people who like similar bands of similar quality somehow get a free pass?

I don't think Nickelback is that bad of a band and some of their songs are kinda catchy (How You Remind Me for example). Are they the greatest band out there? No. But they are far from the worst.

Why can't we just be free to like what we like without worrying about being judged negatively for it?
    It's usually not considered very "hard" by zealots of the genre I believe
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

It's like people who go on and on and on for days about how bad Twilight is that they become more obsessed with it than some of the people who actually like it. To me, people are just trying to bandwagon against things like Nickleback and the like to prove to the world they have good taste. And I know for a fact we all like things that are questionable now and again, so whatever.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I think Nickelback has just become sort of a symbol of manufactured, bland, homogenous "rock." They're not the only ones who put that out, for sure. But they have become the emblem of it.

I actually like Hey Soul Sister, but never anything else they've put out. Like that drive by song. Phuq dat song.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post

I loathe Train... except for that second hit of theirs, "Drops of Jupiter". Which is strange, because that song has a lot of qualities I normally hate. Perhaps they perfectly balanced the different elements of suckiness so I can semi-enjoy that song?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I loathe Train... except for that second hit of theirs, "Drops of Jupiter". Which is strange, because that song has a lot of qualities I normally hate. Perhaps they perfectly balanced the different elements of suckiness so I can semi-enjoy that song?
    Everyone likes Drops of Jupiter, even if they hate to admit it. It's like, an objectively good song or something. It's really weird isn't it.

As for Nickleback - I don't hate them. They aren't terrible or anything like that. I'll listen to them if I have to. But honestly, they're like a band that makes only B sides.

Glycerine

They are on the same level as Green Day to me...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I realize that modern music is pretty hardcore when it comes to sex and drugs. But I have to disagree with your 50% rating. Singing about wanting to strangle your cocaine addicted, alcoholic, jizz covered mistress with no self respect is prettttty low on my list.
    TBH, seems pretty tame considering the genre: generic rock/alternative.