User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    istp

Default What is it like to be human?

My name is Xiikortl-9 (in your alphabet) and I would like to know. Explain as you would any other experience.

[end transmission]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Dear Xiikortl-9,

I fear that any verbal explanations would be meaningless, as you would have to know what it's like to be a human to understand the explanations. Therefore, allow me to present these images instead.

But all of this only shows a small portion of what it's like to be a human.

Sincerely,
    A Human

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

It's hella confusing.

MBTI
    OMNi

Humanity is an exercise in futility that we as individuals are compelled to partake in despite its meaninglessness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INFP

It's kinda squishy.*

*and full of things pretending to be metaphors
    Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    My name is Xiikortl-9 (in your alphabet) and I would like to know. Explain as you would any other experience.

[end transmission]
    Attempt 1:

It's like being a cross between a deity and an animal. We're enough like gods to seek perfection, create, grasp at infinity, and have noble ambitions. We're enough like animals to be short-sighted, irrational, be limited to finite understanding based on experiences, and pay attention to our own status and groups in terms of being better than or less than others. We always feel conflicted because we can never be either entirely, but are always stuck between the two.

Attempt 2:

Being human first of all, is sentience. Being aware of one's self enough to be responsible for one's actions and communicate complex ideas to others. In this basic mental regard, we are likely the same. Some unique quirks of being human involve a tendency to project aspects oneself onto others, resulting in peculiar (and sometimes harmful) mental abberations as well as empathy. Another is a tendency to overlook certain qualities in oneself, but see them in others. It's also possible to see qualities in oneself, but not see them in others. To be human is to have your view of reality distorted in various ways by your emotions, experiences, cognitive limitations, and sensory limitations. Finally, there's the all too prevalent tendency we all have to define things in a moral context (good and evil) which is only based on ourselves. Studying our biology and neurology would do much to further your understanding of us. It's even possible that if you did so, you'd understand more about us than we do.

I'm guessing I didn't explain it adequately for an alien to get it, did I?

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post

[end transmission]
    I have no idea. May I join you on your world for a time?

Over.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

This post is written in compliance with the original request from Xiikortl-9 stated at the beginning of this thread in an attempt to answer the query with maximum sincerity:

"Dear Xiikortl-9,
    You are asking this question in the wrong forum, as this is forum represents an atypical sampling of humans. May I suggest MySpace or Facebook as examples of a more represetative sample of the industrialized human population. May you find enlightenment there.

P.S. What is it like to be a nonhuman?"
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

[begin transmission]

This is Khaschkhen-44L, Leftenant, Uhjyer Prefect. Xiikortl-9, respond. You are in violation of Galactic Code, Section 125, Interspecies Contact; Subsections A, B, D, Cultural Interpolation and Effect of Xeno-social Contaminates; Subsection F-9, Deception of Indigenous Forms via Validation of Fictional Exo-stellar Projection; Subsection F-10, Encouragement of Post-Catastrophic Industrialized Sciolism ("The 'Existentialist' Phenomenon"); and Section 443, Unauthorized Transit in Restricted Sectors.

Your biological person will be apprehended and transported to the nearest Galactic enforcement station, where charges will be formally filed. Your vessel will be impounded and considered Galactic property until such time as its legal ownership is ascertained. You will be apprised of rights commensurate to your physiology. Do not attempt to flee or otherwise morphologically resist.

[end transmission]

MBTI
    INFP

it's almost like being an ape, so just ask them

:P