User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Default Long term planner or long term thinker?

Hi.

See I've just thought of this distinction that doesn't really seem to be made about long term thinking.
    I'll use my own example: I tend to think of the long term ramifications of choices, that is for example a basis of my ethical framework. However while this is a data I'll use I do not 'plan' in advance, to the contrary I'm a cliche P: Last minute and never phased by a change of plan. So basically thoughts with spans of weeks/months/years are part of my 'near future oriented decision making' like a type of filter if you will. To me it IS part of now just as say, knowing that you are at risk for a given illness might modify your behavior in selecting specific foods even though you are not sick for example.

How would you fit on that continuum ?
    What would be the other aspects of it ?
    If I can be a long term thinker & a short term planner is there such a thing as a long term planner who is also a short term thinker?

Car waiting, gotta go.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

WALMART

my parents have always lamented my consistency of not planning anything.

i am incredibly adept at throwing things together, though. probably testament to my problem solving skills, as i assume we ENTP's share.

example: i constantly think about going to the beach, about 180 miles away. one day this summer, i will randomly see opportunity to go and assemble a last minute endeavor. it will not be a problem to do this because i think about it constantly, my mind is already prepared for the situation. so, yeah, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    example: i constantly think about going to the beach, about 180 miles away. one day this summer, i will randomly see opportunity to go and assemble a last minute endeavor. it will not be a problem to do this because i think about it constantly, my mind is already prepared for the situation. so, yeah, whatever.
    To me, that is a lot of what planning is. You are sort of 'priming' yourself and your situation for the things that you want to happen, so when an opportunity presents itself, you are ready to pounce on it at a moments notice.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    To me, that is a lot of what planning is. You are sort of 'priming' yourself and your situation for the things that you want to happen, so when an opportunity presents itself, you are ready to pounce on it at a moments notice.

Hm, do you think? I'd liken planning more to setting a date two weeks in advance, having your tent ready the weekend prior, a camp site reserved, meals /activities planned...

But I definitely understand what you mean. I particularly like your word 'priming'.

Hm, do you think? I'd liken planning more to setting a date two weeks in advance, having your tent ready the weekend prior, a camp site reserved, meals /activities planned...

But I definitely understand what you mean. I particularly like your word 'priming'.
    Maybe it is the P version of planning heheh. Probably a good life skill to be able to do both I suppose.

WALMART

Maybe it is the P version of planning heheh. Probably a good life skill to be able to do both I suppose.

Likely indeed.

Probably why many (from what I understand) suggest P-J pairing in relationships!

Likely indeed.

Probably why many (from what I understand) suggest P-J pairing in relationships!
    Yeah I used to feel like I wanted J, but now I'm sort of seeing another P and it's actually just pretty fun, like we can do whatever we want together.

WALMART

Yeah I used to feel like I wanted J, but now I'm sort of seeing another P and it's actually just pretty fun, like we can do whatever we want together.

I've never much been a fan of productivity, I think I'd agree with you.

I've never much been a fan of productivity, I think I'd agree with you.
    Anyway I'm also coming to truly embrace what I on some level knew all along: good times and productivity actually can reinforce one another.

WALMART

Anyway I'm also coming to truly embrace what I on some level knew all along: good times and productivity actually can reinforce one another.

Yeah! I miss having someone worthwhile around that I get those kinda thoughts from. Sigh.