User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned

Default What do you think of people who mumble?

I mumble a lot. So I guess I just want to know how I come across to others.

As for myself, it's funny, whenever I meet a fellow mumbler, I don't have much trouble understanding him...and they don't seem to not understand me...

Actually a lot of my friends are mumblers, stammerers, word jumblers...

And girls are a lot better at understanding me...

And girls are hardly ever mumblers in my experience..

The worst have to be old people...I swear, it's like I'm speaking french at times..

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I tend to mumble a bit, for me it tends to stem from my brain wanting to talk faster than I can manage, and my mouth kind of giving up.

For others I don't really mind, glass houses and all.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

I stammer sometimes. I speak pretty clearly, though.

My ex used to mumble all the time. He would even talk while covering his mouth. I don't know if I "think" anything about people who mumble, but I would prefer if they were coherent if they're going to talk to me.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I tend to mumble a bit, for me it tends to stem from my brain wanting to talk faster than I can manage, and my mouth kind of giving up.

For others I don't really mind, glass houses and all.
    ha! me too! exactly this! it's too much trouble getting it all out in time. i often just get bored of it. i often talk really fast and then just sort of trail off after the thought is finished...or im on to another one.

no one ever gets it. it must just seem as tho i'm not very interested in communicating whatever it is...and...that might often be true.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTj

*subscribes to thread*
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

oh to answer the question tho. i don't care if it's quiet or unfocused but it's difficult when people have thick accents too. like someone i know is very mumbly but fast and also has an accent. that's just too much. i speak clearly but sometimes i don't finish or i jump around too much.

haha i mean...not physically. i don't jump when i talk....unfortunately.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Depends on the context. For instance, if someone was talking to you normally and then started to trail off into mumbling with a dazed look in their eyes, I would think that they were a "space case" kind of person. Someone prone to getting lost in their own thoughts.

If, however, they tended to always mumble, or to mumble when put on the spot, I would think they lacked social confidence in some way (like, perhaps they were awkward about making jokes, or maybe they weren't good at articulating personal thoughts/feelings, or maybe they weren't very good at speaking about intellectual topics, etc.,.)

Mumbling could also be a sign of anger or irritation (you know, a passive aggressive mumble-an-insult-or-jab-beneath-the-breath kind of thing.) It could also be a sign that someone has shit in their mouth.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    I mumble a lot. So I guess I just want to know how I come across to others.
    Mumbles, I've seen all of your videos. You come across as a confident hillbilly.

Great job on this one...

[YOUTUBE="8iWW_Ki1ns8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iWW_Ki1ns8[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Depends on the context. For instance, if someone was talking to you normally and then started to trail off into mumbling with a dazed look in their eyes, I would think that they were a "space case" kind of person. Someone prone to getting lost in their own thoughts.

If, however, they tended to always mumble, or to mumble when put on the spot, I would think they lacked social confidence in some way (like, perhaps they were awkward about making jokes, or maybe they weren't good at articulating personal thoughts/feelings, or maybe they weren't very good at speaking about intellectual topics, etc.,.)

Mumbling could also be a sign of anger or irritation (you know, a passive aggressive mumble-an-insult-or-jab-beneath-the-breath kind of thing.) It could also be a sign that someone has shit in their mouth.
    omg pure hate for the passive aggressive mumble under your breath thing!!! i do it the space case way....and it's only really if i'm just thinking out loud...or if you ask me questions i don't care to answer.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Confused mumble for the program 'mumble'. I should cut down on vent.