User Tag List

First 123

garbage

Depends on the subject, so on and so forth, other caveats, etc.

I would like to make sure that what I'm thinking/feeling isn't biased or complete bullshit, so it helps to have outside perspectives. Hell, this thread is doing exactly that.

But (a) I want to have thought things over as completely as possible on my own first; and (b) it's difficult for me to trust that talking to someone around me is actually going to give me something that I hadn't thought about myself. That lack of trust is a two-way street, though; I trust my own decisions, but I may not be giving other people the benefit of the doubt when I should.

Also, basically everything @Lexicon and @cascadeco said

--

I've also been advised that I should clue other people into what's going on with me so that it makes them feel better because they'd be included (with the side benefit that it'd help me, I guess). I'm not sure how I feel about that--talking to other people about my goings-on for the sake of talking about them and making others feel included.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    It depends on the nature of the 'problem' and the person with whom I would be discussing it.

If I'm stuck on a technical problem at work I don't mind asking someone else for their input or guidance, although I will almost always try to find a solution myself before approaching someone else.

'Personal' problems? I keep that shit on lockdown. Experience has taught me to keep it to myself.
    ^^ This. My general preference is internal analysis, based on information gathered through research. This research can be speaking with people, consulting experts, checking websites/journals/etc. I don't actually feel better about it, though, until I can do the analysis, which is almost always a solitary activity.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Permabanned

To aleviate a concern, especially emotional, I just express it. If I tell another 'I'm a bum'...it helps me realize I'm being too hard on myself. In my own mind, though, it's normal. My own mind has had me convinced of awful things about myself, things when voiced sound absurd.

Other problems, I keep internal.

Finally, I cannot consider something my idea unless I come up with it in full. Other ideas I've developed aren't mine, I just put in the time to develop them. The idea itself isn't mine.

I tend to want to give a developed idea back to the owner, and I frequently give out my crudely thought out ideas to the public hoping that a sort of karmic law does exist. Hopefully, the more and better ideas I give out, the more and and better ideas I'll come up with. It's a good way to not keep many ideas stored up, but not have them come to nothing. That would be an absolute shame. It's almost like destroying everything...neglecting thought.

The whole point of thought is action, to hoard thought because others might profit, it's selfish. Something that really grates on me...

You could even make an argument for its immorality.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

A logical and precise internal analysis followed by an energized and theorized discussion sounds right.

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I can't talk until I've analysed. Or rather, I won't unless I'm forced to. If necessary I'll do it superfast mid-conversation. I don't see the point in wading around in half-baked ideas unless it's in the situation of brainstorming Ne possibilities. If we're discussing something seriously, I want to dtraighten out and refine in my own head before I put anything on the table. That goes for interpersonal things just as much as for academic discussion.
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I identify with the process outlined in the OP.

I don't discuss things when I am in a state of great turmoil. However, when I am ready to start solving the problem, I need discussion. It's not that I'm even looking for ideas, but the process of verbalizing it to another person clarifies things for me and keeps me from feeling like I have something unsolveable on my hands and also keeps the details from swimming around all over the place in my head. I use lists for that reason as well. When I am writing, I find I get a lot more done with a quick discussion with the right person than I do on my own. Just helps me rule out what is important and what really doesn't matter.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I identify with the process outlined in the OP.

I don't discuss things when I am in a state of great turmoil. However, when I am ready to start solving the problem, I need discussion. It's not that I'm even looking for ideas, but the process of verbalizing it to another person clarifies things for me and keeps me from feeling like I have something unsolveable on my hands and also keeps the details from swimming around all over the place in my head. I use lists for that reason as well. When I am writing, I find I get a lot more done with a quick discussion with the right person than I do on my own. Just helps me rule out what is important and what really doesn't matter.
    Do you think this is an introverted process or is it introversion/extroversion neutral?

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    nah. just introverts

I like discussing stuff

One introvert / extrovert communication issue can be illustrated like this:
    introvert: i will think about something and give you my conclusion. maybe.
    extrovert: What you just said is the basis I will use for this discussion rather than a conclusion
    introvert: let me think about this
    extrovert: well isn't it what we're doing now ?
    introvert: you do not respect my personal bubble I will therefore stop sharing my conclusions with you
    extrovert: how can I understand your personal space needs if we do not discuss it !
    etc.

/sigh
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.