User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    type

Default Help--How to Keep from Sleeping in Class!

When I say "class," I mean any kind of lecture environment, especially where the lights are dimmed and a presentation is being projected.

Other than stabbing yourself in the thigh with a fork--how do you stay awake?
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, you could always try to start some interesting discussion on the topic. Who knows, you might even derail the whole lecture into some cool debate about something vaguely related.

MBTI
    type

Yeah---I was SOOO tempted to derail it. The presenter was obviously iNtuitive and had mastered the art of self-derailment. I considered trying to drag him into a comparative discussion of PhotoShopCS and GIMP, but just....yawn...couldn't...*blink*...focus.

'sides, that would have been rude. Most of the audience was awake.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

MBTI
    XNXP

Just how good at self-derailing was he ? Should I be concerned ?
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Just how good at self-derailing was he ? Should I be concerned ?
    No, you're a mere apprentice in comparison.

MBTI
    INTJ

oh sheeit man, the lights are dimmed!! that itself makes you S-O-L lol haha, you could try staying awake by asking a lot of questions : ) If he's good at self-derailing you could help him by asking questions that subtly move into areas of no absolute direct correlation to the topic xD oh! also if you do it enough maybe the homework will be less and less for everyone also adding the effect of people secretly admiring your questions also! you may get in favor with your prof at the same time as well : ) I mean, if he's going to derail it anyways, then it might not matter too much anyways, right? you could also bring a gameboy/psp or something, I do that in some of my classes and just play games : ) It's your money so you shouldn't feel bad. Any way you choose, if you try to engage yourself in someway then you should probably be able to stay awake, if not...just zzzzzzzzz ; )

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Taking notes/doodling helps me with drowsiness, agonizing boredom, and a tendency to mentally drift off. If I can't take notes/doodle, I shake my leg or play with Silly Putty.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

A copy of Half-life and a laptop. No, I never played it in class.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Um...you could scream fire or rape...but then again that might distract everyone from the lecture.

Note to self: Think through plans before randomly shouting...
    SDMF

The answer all depends on whether or not you're getting paid.

If not, you must answer the call of the ZZZ's.