First 123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Regular table top games is rolling dice and bullshitting over some beers. Except your game pieces are dirty British guys and dwarves and you've given them some background and personality. I've only ever really played warhammer, but the GM gave it a kind of Monty Pyton-esque atmosphere (or maybe Warhammer is already like that).
    Well, Warhammer's got a definite English feel to it, but I guess that's because Games Workshop started over there? D&D's an American invention... but hey, a lot of our game gets extremely silly and it's not like MPFC humor doesn't make its way into our games.

Rolling dice is fun. A lot of people in my current groups use their phone or iPad to roll their dice (they can program everything in, lickety-split, and then do a digital roll)... but what is the fun in that???
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Sigh.... I miss my D&D group... There were seven of us. Two of us were really new to it when we started out so we had some really goofy sessions in the beginning. Ah.... I still remember some of the in-character conversations.

We definitely kept gaming and reality totally separate. My boyfriend at the time played a Paladin... You know, super into faith and everything....and he was an Atheist in real life. So yeah, we definitely didn't bring aspects of the game into our real life. Well... At least, most of the time. He did accuse me of flirting with one of the guys in game.

From what I've seen, D&D and Warhammer are very different from the Vampire series though... So, I can't speak for that group... But I tend to think it's pretty easy to keep the other tabletop gaming separate from real life.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Although I'm not really one myself, I know and love a lot of RPG enthusiasts. But the Vampire: The Blathering people I've known have been just insufferable. Sorry if any are here, I'm sure you're perfectly nice.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Although I'm not really one myself, I know and love a lot of RPG enthusiasts. But the Vampire: The Blathering people I've known have been just insufferable. Sorry if any are here, I'm sure you're perfectly nice.
    I think it's the genre ... it just attracts a different crowd than D&D, or Star Wars, or whatever else... imagine people who want to be characters in Tru Blood or whatever. And then you get LARP'ers, who are different than table-top gamers, since it demands more extroversion and dramatics.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

That's hilarious. I have no idea why anyone would break with someone over an rpg. Although I'm sure we've seen worse stories on the forum.

Would you break up with someone because of the color they play in monopoly?? Which side they play on Warcraft. IF THEY PLAYED NOD IN CNC.

This sounds more like larp than an rpg response. Of course I went larping once but didn't get the vibe of factions mattering rl.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    -Is that supposed to be a ''normal'' rpg player behavior (i.e. letting the role you play in a game affect real life)?
    -What makes this variety of rpg more interesting than mmorpgs or console rpgs?
    -Aren't things too arbitrary? I believe the Game Master usually has too much power over the developments.

Thanks.
    1. No. But I might break up with them if they were a half Orc.

2. I don't know anything about this variety. Sitting around with your friends and playing a game is not like playing a video game. I'm a social kind of player.

3. Your game depends on your GM (game master) and players. You can do whatever you want. The GM usually has stuff prepared for where you said you were going at the end of the last session. There is often an overarching story too. In RL someone doing a quest is influenced by external factors too.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think it's the genre ... it just attracts a different crowd than D&D, or Star Wars, or whatever else... imagine people who want to be characters in Tru Blood or whatever. And then you get LARP'ers, who are different than table-top gamers, since it demands more extroversion and dramatics.
    Yeah. The tabletop gamers I know are embarrassed that they are lumped in with LARPers in the public's eye.

"pen and paper rpgs"

what is this neanderthal blasphemy?
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, Warhammer's got a definite English feel to it, but I guess that's because Games Workshop started over there? D&D's an American invention... but hey, a lot of our game gets extremely silly and it's not like MPFC humor doesn't make its way into our games.

Rolling dice is fun. A lot of people in my current groups use their phone or iPad to roll their dice (they can program everything in, lickety-split, and then do a digital roll)... but what is the fun in that???
    Oh I'm not knocking it. I kind of miss it.. the guys who played this haven't been around for years.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    "pen and paper rpgs"

what is this neanderthal blasphemy?
    Seriously. Pens? How do you erase?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Seriously. Pens? How do you erase?
    It's like you're actually expected to commit. Deploring barbaric.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.