User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Default Olympics 2012 London

Just a place to post random musings and observations about the Olympics (any sport) and discuss.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

The two american swimmers are driving me nuts!! Instead of some awesome civil rivalry, they're talking shit to each other and then doing wacky things like Lochte (Lockte? W/e his name is) losing the immense lead we had on that one race.. AFTER he won 2nd place?! And Phelps came in 4th? @_@ Its like they're under performing for all the smack they talked..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    GONE

Mine so far:

Shooting...a sport? I'm watching it online and it looks like a proto steampunk convention or an episode of Tron. It's so highly technical of a sport that the obvious 'this is a gun, you shoot it' element is obscured. There is a NASA like room full of...judges?..with laptops behind a giant glass watching the shooters. The shooters use air or electric guns so when they shoot you don't even see where they've shot, I think they aggregate their 3 shots and a digital mark shows up after a several second delay. This is not necessarily fast and furious. I'm not really sure what is going on other than sometimes the audience cheers or goes "oooh".

Also, air pistol may be one of the only sports where you can rock a beer gut and look like you're going to a lawn party or the pub and be a competing Olympic athlete. I seriously saw a a couple guys with beer guts and one sticking his free hand into his waistband as part of his shooting stance.

And check out China's official shooting uniform!! ^^ That is one fly tracksuit.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Speaking of swimming @kyuuei, what do you think of Camille Lacourt? My friend thinks he's just dreamy.

Johari/Nohari

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Don't they know that its waaay cooler to shoot the gun sideways like in the movies?
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Speaking of swimming @kyuuei, what do you think of Camille Lacourt? My friend thinks he's just dreamy.

Well he's french that gives him a leg up for me already He is amazing looking.. Photogenic even while competing. Our poor American swimmers don't look half that good while they're at work
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I've been loving the dressage. The way those horses move! So much envy...
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Philosorapteuse View Post
    I've been loving the dressage. The way those horses move! So much envy...
    This is pic of Ann Romney's horse Rafalca:

Just between you and me, I think the Romney's must be loaded. Shhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    Don't they know that its waaay cooler to shoot the gun sideways like in the movies?
    I think if the shooters were trying to mug someone with an air gun they'd try that.

Also, I'm always interested in the national uniforms. In addition to the uniforms worn during the opening parade the outfits for each sport. Some countries have a lax uniform policy for some sports, and some countries have the players match down to the shoes up to the hats. Egypt is too poor to provide legit costumes to athletes so their whole team openly used knockoff Nike/Adidas etc. etc. fake hybrids from a 'distributor in China'. That's just wow. So Nike is now providing all the uniforms for free (they literally took over a factory and overnighted that stuff for Egypt). Some of the uniforms are just fug.

Germany is getting both haterade and accolades for their colorful uniforms:

Sorry Kiwis, but the New Zealand uniform is fug. And the Australian one maked everyone look like a middle aged golfer. China and Jamaica have some loud, some might say garish designs but hey,those are the national colors. :P Also, Jamaica has a contemporary 'high tech' look to their uniforms.

The Netherlands and South Korea have some of the chicest, most modern uniforms (Despite big name designers like Stella McCartney and Giorgio Armani designing for the UK and Italy respectively, their outfits look boring to me):

I also think Belize's uniforms are super cute. They get the 'most charming' award so far.

But back, to fugly. The award goes to Spain! I think they got their uniforms for free, and unlike Egypt didn't have to resort to knock offs, but lol. The uniforms were updated after complaints but holy hell the guy in the second pic looks like he's a fast food worker in some demented sci-fi film.

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

Loving the Eventing. The sun is shining and the horses look awesome in Greenwich Park.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I've been pretty happy with how NZ is doing, especially in the Rowing. Bond and Murray demolished the world record by 6 seconds in the Men's Pair - and that was only the heats. Excited! We're also doing pretty well in the Equestrian, too.

As an aside, I'm watching the Cross Country now and I must say the camera work and direction is absolutely abysmal. Did they pull in small children from the crowd to work as camera ops while they all went off to have a beer?

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Sorry Kiwis, but the New Zealand uniform is fug.
    Oh no you didn't.

But seriously, I think it's pretty good. Not amazing but honestly there's MUCH WORSE out there.

I can't believe you talked about ugliness (I agree about Spain ) and haven't mentioned the poor, unfortunate Russians. Whenever they come out in their tracksuits you can see the general humiliation written on their faces.

Warning: looking directly at this uniform may cause nausea and/or seizures

INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte