User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how a kayak race gets judged.
    It's Canoe (and Kayak) Slalom - similar to skiing but on water. They judge whether you make it through each gate and add penalties if you touch the gate. It makes sense if you watch it.

EDIT: 2 more Golds for NZ in the Rowing today!!!

We're 10th on the Medal Table too!
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Diving:

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Very cool to see Kayla Harrison win the first US gold medal in judo ever. Her backstory of being sexually abused by her first coach when she was a child is so tragic; I'm amazed that she didn't quit the sport. It's really awesome to see her come back from that to become and Olympic champion.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Very cool to see Kayla Harrison win the first US gold medal in judo ever. Her backstory of being sexually abused by her first coach when she was a child is so tragic; I'm amazed that she didn't quit the sport. It's really awesome to see her come back from that to become and Olympic champion.
    I saw her yesterday for a bit, she collapsed crying after winning against the french, good show overall.
    Last edited by phobik; 08-04-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

My Girlfriend's at the Olympics today, she's watching the athletics, she's having a great time.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Also what did you guys think about Australia's Emily Seebohm's meltdown(s) over winning silver?

London 2012 Olympics: Australian swimmer Emily Seebohm blames Twitter and Facebook for failure

Amusingly this meme is doing the rounds on facebook amongst New Zealanders :

And BTW, have you seen this crazy move in the Women's Volleyball? Might be the play of the Olympics I think (can't be embedded, sorry):

Brazil Volleyball Kick Save: The Most Unexpected Play Of The Olympics?
    I understand her disappointment of wanting a gold and not getting it but overall it's hard for me to be that sympathetic. A silver medal is a freaking awesome accomplishment when you think about it in the whole scheme of things. It's the second best in the whole world. The vast majority of olympic athletes do not make it to the podium at all, not to mention the huge number of olympic hopefuls who never make to to the olympics. Then you have all of these everyday ordinary nonathletic people like me watching the olympic athletes in awe wondering how its even humanly possible to do some of the things these athletes have been accomplished even after years of intensive practice.

I think some of these olympic athletes are putting tremendous pressure on themselves and perhaps setting unrealistically high expectations. If not them, then their coaches are. It's probably the extraordinarily high drive and expectations that makes the athletes so good though.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    GONE

This is a slideshow of some Olympians and their "day jobs". Humanizes them. Pretty inspiring too.

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-...living-2012-8#
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Did the Michael Phelps Head & Shoulders commercial make anyone else uncomfortable???

( . )( . )

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Nah, just horny.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat View Post
    My Girlfriend's at the Olympics today, she's watching the athletics, she's having a great time.
    Awesome! I was watching the Athletics yesterday thinking about how much fun the crowd was having. It's a good choice to go with because there's many different things happening at once.

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I understand her disappointment of wanting a gold and not getting it but overall it's hard for me to be that sympathetic. A silver medal is a freaking awesome accomplishment when you think about it in the whole scheme of things. It's the second best in the whole world. The vast majority of olympic athletes do not make it to the podium at all, not to mention the huge number of olympic hopefuls who never make to to the olympics. Then you have all of these everyday ordinary nonathletic people like me watching the olympic athletes in awe wondering how its even humanly possible to do some of the things these athletes have been accomplished even after years of intensive practice.

I think some of these olympic athletes are putting tremendous pressure on themselves and perhaps setting unrealistically high expectations. If not them, then their coaches are. It's probably the extraordinarily high drive and expectations that makes the athletes so good though.
    Good analysis. I'm inclined to agree

I also think there's a problem with a sense of entitlement with some athletes. And if they don't win they seem to feel cheated out of what was rightfully theirs. I think that sometimes that attitude can be the very thing that makes them lose, because they don't take the other competitors seriously. I think no matter how good you are or how much better you are than the competition, you have to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

I just watched an interview with a NZ swimmer who was crying because she was so overwhelmingly happy that she came 4th (in the 800m Freestyle Final). I genuinely felt she deserved that sheer joy - she swam such a good race and smashed her own NZ record. I found it incredibly touching to watch. And I must say, I saw a American swimmer (I think it might have been Lochte) doing an interview after winning and was very impressed with his graciousness and genuine, heartfelt gratitude toward all the people that helped him and coached him over the years. That sort of stuff really is what it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Did the Michael Phelps Head & Shoulders commercial make anyone else uncomfortable???
    Yeah, I saw them on TV. It's pretty ridiculous. I wonder how much his teammates rip him apart for it.

BTW another bronze for NZ overnight
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte