User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Heard about that fencing controversy. It's a horrible situation for everyone to have (poor) judging/refereeing decide things. Even the German probably feels unhappy to win in such fashion and to have it forever questioned. I remember NZ losing a Netball World Cup final to the Aussies because of poor timekeeping. The teams were drawn and the ref allowed a extra goal in, even though it was 1 second over time. To say the least, we were pretty bitter and infuriated.

Do you remember the problem at the Athens Olympics (I think) where they miscalculated scores in the Gymnastics and accidentally had the wrong guy win? I believe they had to ask him to swap his medal, as they couldn't reverse the official decision without his permission. Unfortunately the selfish bastard refused. I wouldn't want that medal myself - it's almost like winning through doping.
    It reminds me of the travesty of the 1972 Olympic basketball gold medal game.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/taps-g...b_1710545.html
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

@Pseudo yeah she had to stay because of this rule if you leave you accept the match is over. Her coach was filing an appeal. The first time she was asked to leave by officials she refused. So they gave her a yellow card which I thought was messed up and I think spectators agreed.

@EffEmDoubleyou yeah that is the parallel being made, also other cases of error which the IOC are too arrogant to admit. Now they are offering Shin a consolation "good sportsmanship" medal. Ridiculous! They basically admit to having screwed up in their formal statement but "that's how we do things". She refused.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oly...=feeds-newsxml
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Now they are offering Shin a consolation "good sportsmanship" medal. Ridiculous! They basically admit to having screwed up in their formal statement but "that's how we do things". She refused.
    Oh, the irony!

Johari
    /Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    So I have the NBC Olympics app which lets you watch video and live streaming of events. When I logged in yesterday this was the video highlights for me:

Fencer gets ROBBED Of Gold Medal Bout
    I heard about that. That was total IOC fail. They should've called it for Shin.

Edit: And to echo what a couple of others here have already said, who would want a medal they won through a technical error? I couldn't be proud of that. I'd surrender it, personally. I'm disappointed that Heidemann didn't approach the IOC and at least try to do the right thing.

The second biggest fail, IMO, is the kayaking event. One of the competitor's mother's is judging the competition. Kayaker gets penalty from tough judge --his mother

I don't care how hard she's trying to be fair: it's a conflict of interest and a credibility problem. How can that even be allowed? It makes no sense.

Also, I've been reading about players deliberately trying to lose competitions to score easier opponents... I don't understand how that system works, but clearly it needs to be revamped. More than one event has encountered that problem so far.

"The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ISTx

Lebron James gets rejected by USA swimmer Lauren Perdue.

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/aro...-a-us-swimmer/

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

GOLD for NZ in the Rowing!!!

We won our first one of the games in the Mens Lightweight Double Sculls. And what a race too! They were in 4th place and 2 1/2 boat lengths down with 250m to go, and then went on to win by 1/2 a length! And I fully admit to screaming and leaping up and down like a maniac as I watched.

That makes it 1 Gold, 2 Bronze for us so far.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    GONE

Haha, congrats ^^ you seem happy

And @iwakar I saw the badminton fiasco highlights on my app, Hilarious. Ruling was unfair though S Korea did it because Chia did to them while playing together. Then Indonesia did it while playing S. Korea. Should've booted China the first time they did it and not let it trickle down.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I heard about that. That was total IOC fail. They should've called it for Shin.

Edit: And to echo what a couple of others here have already said, who would want a medal they won through a technical error? I couldn't be proud of that. I'd surrender it, personally. I'm disappointed that Heidemann didn't approach the IOC and at least try to do the right thing.
    I would surrender it too. How could I be proud of something I didn't actually earn?

The second biggest fail, IMO, is the kayaking event. One of the competitor's mother's is judging the competition. Kayaker gets penalty from tough judge --his mother

I don't care how hard she's trying to be fair: it's a conflict of interest and a credibility problem. How can that even be allowed? It makes no sense.
    That shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Also, I've been reading about players deliberately trying to lose competitions to score easier opponents... I don't understand how that system works, but clearly it needs to be revamped. More than one event has encountered that problem so far.

They got disqualified. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1727640.html
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

I'm trying to figure out how a kayak race gets judged.

Johari
    /Nohari

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I saw another drama unfold last night in the Track Cycling. The Chinese won the gold medal race but lost due to relegation (disqualification). Needless to say they weren't happy. Fortunately they still ended up with the silver.

Olympic track cycling: Germany awarded gold after China relegated
    Guo Shuang and Gong Jinjie thought they had won gold when they finished in a time of 32.619 seconds compared to Germany's 32.798. But officials announced that China had been relegated for an overtake infringement, with Kristina Vogel and Miriam Welte awarded gold.
    The same thing happened to the Great Britain team earlier in the evening.

Also what did you guys think about Australia's Emily Seebohm's meltdown(s) over winning silver?

London 2012 Olympics: Australian swimmer Emily Seebohm blames Twitter and Facebook for failure
    The favourite for the 100m backstroke told Australian media that staying up late using social media such as Facebook and Twitter may have contributed to her coming up short.

The silver medallist wept uncontrollably after failing to take gold as she was caught in a post-race twirl of emotions and she later claimed she had lost her focus.
    "I don't know, I just felt like I didn't really get off social media and get into my own head," she said.

Amusingly this meme is doing the rounds on facebook amongst New Zealanders :

And BTW, have you seen this crazy move in the Women's Volleyball? Might be the play of the Olympics I think (can't be embedded, sorry):

Brazil Volleyball Kick Save: The Most Unexpected Play Of The Olympics?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte