User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I've been pretty happy with how NZ is doing, especially in the Rowing. Bond and Murray demolished the world record by 6 seconds in the Men's Pair - and that was only the heats. Excited! We're also doing pretty well in the Equestrian, too.

As an aside, I'm watching the Cross Country now and I must say the camera work and direction is absolutely abysmal. Did they pull in small children from the crowd to work as camera ops while they all went off to have a beer?

Oh no you didn't.

But seriously, I think it's pretty good. Not amazing but honestly there's MUCH WORSE out there.

I can't believe you talked about ugliness (I agree about Spain ) and haven't mentioned the poor, unfortunate Russians. Whenever they come out in their tracksuits you can see the general humiliation written on their faces.

Warning: looking directly at this uniform may cause nausea and/or seizures

I really liked this uniform. All together it is a little to much but when it's just one of them it looks pretty good. I hate U.S uniforms. When has the U.S ever been associated with the beret?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I felt like some of the NBC reporters have been really horrible to the athletes.

The swimming lady is especially obnoxious, trying to fuel the rivalry between Lochte and Phelps and also after the Men's relay Cullen Jones made a comment like "we're all young guys we might be back again" and she closed the interview with "We'll probably not phelps".

And then after Jordyn Weiber failed to make it into the individual all around gymnastics they wouldn't let her leave with out passing the interview area. The made sure she was visible, crying, while they interviewed alexandra raisman who had just take her spot. They wouldn't just let her have the night to collect her feelings and then give them an interview. I just thought it was really awful of them.

And danell leyva's dad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2fZz...layer_embedded

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I felt like some of the NBC reporters have been really horrible to the athletes.

The swimming lady is especially obnoxious, trying to fuel the rivalry between Lochte and Phelps and also after the Men's relay Cullen Jones made a comment like "we're all young guys we might be back again" and she closed the interview with "We'll probably not phelps".

And then after Jordyn Weiber failed to make it into the individual all around gymnastics they wouldn't let her leave with out passing the interview area. The made sure she was visible, crying, while they interviewed alexandra raisman who had just take her spot. They wouldn't just let her have the night to collect her feelings and then give them an interview. I just thought it was really awful of them.

I didn't see the gymnastics, but I KNOW, what a snarky comment about Phelps! It kind of just seemed awkward to me though, not intentional, just a foot-in-mouth kind of moment. I thought Costas was making really snarky comments about some countries during the Parade of Nation though. Don't remember know what they were, but my husband I both went "STFU Costas!"

I don't really see how Equestrian is a sport. At least not the dressage section. I suppose the racing and jumping are probably more athletic, but it still seems like it's not so much about the rider's athleticism, as the horse's. If there must be an Olympic sport involving the riding of domesticated animals, I suggest bull riding. Now THAT takes some athleticism!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

right on the left wing Philosorapteuse's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Not all sports are about pure atheleticism. The point of dressage is skill. Riding itself is really hard physical work, but dressage indeed isn't the feat of endurance that cross-country is, it's a different test. Compare it to, say, archery. That's not about the sheer strength or speed of the archer, it's about how well they can perform a given feat of physical skill. Riding just has a tonne more variables because it involves the complex partnership of horse and rider.

</obligatory rising to the bait>
    "A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices." --William James

I'd be a card-carrying sensotard, but I can't find the goddamn card.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    I didn't see the gymnastics, but I KNOW, what a snarky comment about Phelps! It kind of just seemed awkward to me though, not intentional, just a foot-in-mouth kind of moment. I thought Costas was making really snarky comments about some countries during the Parade of Nation though. Don't remember know what they were, but my husband I both went "STFU Costas!"

I don't really see how Equestrian is a sport. At least not the dressage section. I suppose the racing and jumping are probably more athletic, but it still seems like it's not so much about the rider's athleticism, as the horse's. If there must be an Olympic sport involving the riding of domesticated animals, I suggest bull riding. Now THAT takes some athleticism!
    The Equestrian jumping events definitely are hard work and the riders have to have a high level of fitness and athleticism combined with courage and skill. Even the dressage requires a lot more athleticism than the likes of shooting or archery which are also Olympic 'sports'.
    I think that unless you have done it, it is probably hard to appreciate how hard the riders really work and how knackered they are when they finish the cross country. Try maintaining a squat position for ten minutes and it will give you a bit of an idea of the leg strength required for a start.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Philosorapteuse View Post
    Not all sports are about pure atheleticism. The point of dressage is skill. Riding itself is really hard physical work, but dressage indeed isn't the feat of endurance that cross-country is, it's a different test. Compare it to, say, archery. That's not about the sheer strength or speed of the archer, it's about how well they can perform a given feat of physical skill. Riding just has a tonne more variables because it involves the complex partnership of horse and rider.

</obligatory rising to the bait>
    I fully admit that I don't know much about it... so I'll take your word for it. I wasn't trying to bait anyone, it's always just seemed a bit out of place to me. But I'm totally okay with being proven wrong.

My blog:

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by lauranna View Post
    The Equestrian jumping events definitely are hard work and the riders have to have a high level of fitness and athleticism combined with courage and skill. Even the dressage requires a lot more athleticism than the likes of shooting or archery which are also Olympic 'sports'.
    I think that unless you have done it, it is probably hard to appreciate how hard the riders really work and how knackered they are when they finish the cross country. Try maintaining a squat position for ten minutes and it will give you a bit of an idea of the leg strength required for a start.
    Yeah, I'm watching the cross country section now, and I can definitely see how that requires a lot more athleticism. Also, this is fascinating me-- it seems that men and women compete against one another in this event? That's pretty cool, if it is indeed the case.

My blog:

MBTI
    intp

Always watch swimming and track.
    Is anything duller than equestrian?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    Yeah, I'm watching the cross country section now, and I can definitely see how that requires a lot more athleticism. Also, this is fascinating me-- it seems that men and women compete against one another in this event? That's pretty cool, if it is indeed the case.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure equestrian is the only sport where women and men compete equally. Women often have a slight advantage as the horse is at an advantage if it has less weight to carry.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

So far....I ...I...*wipes brow*, whew this is hard...I cant seem to get excited about it.

Although my brother had the judo and weightlifting on, both men and womens, that was quite fun to watch.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.