User Tag List

MBTI
    type

Default Inappropriately timed sadness

I finished reading a Brautigan collection which included _In Watermelon Sugar_ and _Trout Fishing in America_. I finished _Trout Fishing_ in trout-fishing country, surrounded by fly-fishing supply places.

Brautigan killed himself, presumably after talking to a friend, Marcia, to whom he had dedicated/directed a number of poems.

After finishing the book, I thought about the author's suicide.

I've spent three days saddened about this event. This seems silly to me--there's no reason for me to mourn a death I had nothing to do with, the death of someone I don't know and would never have known.

Anyone else experience inappropriately timed sadness?
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    XNXP

Yes, I've been able to imagine sad hypothetical scenarios so well that I was emotionally affected by them, all the while knowing that I had just made them up. Conversely I've been as unemotional as a stone towards actual events that could be seen as "sad". As well as a number of other possibilities somewhere between these extremes.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    type

Hm.... Part of my melancholia definitely had some fantasy elements. I know I was considering the inevitable loss of friends who feel similar to Brautigan's persona and who I will miss immeasurably. "Inevitable" in the grand sense of mortality, I mean.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

MBTI
    XNXP

I'm glad that you enjoyed the Brautigan book. Another interesting author lived up there in Montana near him - Thomas McGuane.

Brautigan once had the fun of being in a bookstore when some cute young ladies were talking to each other about his books, having just bought some. He spoke briefly to them about their obvious enthusiasm for "Brautigan" without telling them who he was.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

MBTI
    type

LOL!

That sounds like the shenanigans another joker I know would get up to!

I'm definitely on the hunt for more Brautigan at the moment, but I'll keep your latest suggestion in mind. While I look, I'll get back to the Merwin.

I'm surprised you haven't read The Pill Versus the Springhill Mine Disaster.

MBTI
    XNXP

I haven't read as much poetry by Brautigan ( or any other author ) as I have the prose, which would explain it, I think. I just read some of the ones you provided though, and I can see ( concede ) what I've been missing.

Thomas McGuane is nothing like Brautigan or Merwin. It's just a bit of trivia that they lived near one another.

MBTI
    type

When you sent me off on the quest for prose poetry, I had uncovered Brautigan, but my luck at finding actual books locally is legendarily crappy (yes, I know -- interlibrary loan -- consider me chastised!).

Edit:
    It was eerie being surrounded with trout-fishing signs, too.

We saw trout in the Linville Cavern! That was cool! And wee bats.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    And wee bats.
    The kind with squeaks so cute that only your puppy gets to hear them ?
    * pictures him tilting his head *

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Ending a really good book makes me feel rather melancholy. Because the story is over and it's never the same again. Hearing a depressing song can do it to me as well.

And this one may sound strange, but sometimes there's a certain kind of wind that blows here in the late fall and early spring. It makes me sad and awakes an ache so deep it goes straight to my soul--if I had the money and time, I would travel somewhere far away just to assauge that particular whim.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    The kind with squeaks so cute that only your puppy gets to hear them ?
    * pictures him tilting his head *
    Actually, Eastern Pipistrelle Bats. We saw several that were still hibernating.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    Ending a really good book makes me feel rather melancholy. Because the story is over and it's never the same again. Hearing a depressing song can do it to me as well.

And this one may sound strange, but sometimes there's a certain kind of wind that blows here in the late fall and early spring. It makes me sad and awakes an ache so deep it goes straight to my soul--if I had the money and time, I would travel somewhere far away just to assauge that particular whim.
    That autumn light gets me, too. I've read a few books that I hated to see end...a couple by Jane Austen come to mind. (Contrary to popular opinion, I don't read all books out of linear order!)