User Tag List

First 123

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Honestly, I've never thought of there as being a specific 'correct' etiquette to this, or had expectations around it being done in a certain way.

I think my reaction to a voicemail is mostly dependent on what I know of the person, their tone, and any pattern in what they do. So in the OP's example, I'd probably take equal issue with repeated voicemails of no purpose, and no attempt to meet halfway.

BUT, I can also say the long rambling messages can be equally 'pointless'.

So my personal preference is something short and sweet - leave your question in the vm, or mention the topic you want to discuss, then ask the person to call you back. But, I won't hold it against the other person if they're abrupt or rambling, if it's just a one-off thing... as I think I've left both forms of vm myself.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

oh i suck at it...i blather on and on then just say or i'll just talk to you when you call

it must be horribly annoying. whataya gonna do
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

garbage

I prefer someone to say something like, "whatup, I want to talk to you about [subject]. Please give me a call back." That way, I can prepare just a lil' bit mentally.

I don't expect someone to have a full-blown monologue left for me via my voicemail, though, as they probably called in order to have a dialog with me.

I also use Google Voice, which transcribes other people's voicemails for me and sends it to me in an email. If they just ramble on, I can get the gist of what they're saying so that I can just skim over it. It's the greatest thing in the world.

When I call someone and they don't pick up, I usually leave a short, 30-second-ish bullet list summary to get the ball rolling when the dude calls me back. Otherwise, I'd probably forget what the hell I called them about when they called me back:
    "Hi, bologna; you called me and asked me to call you back?"
    "I did? Yeah, apparently I did."
    "Well, what's up? What can I help you with?"
    "I.. I don't know"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I despise how people think that, just because they dialed my number, suddenly I'm expected to drop everything I'm in the middle of and answer their call. No, if I have the option, I'll screen you, make sure I have what you need (or find a block of time where there is room for a decent conversation), then get back to you so that we don't waste each other's time.
    Oh, hell yes. Cellphones are merely a convenience; they should make things easier, not burden us further. It means that we have the capacity to reach out to one another at any given time, not that we must all absolutely be tethered at the hip.

Hell, If I can't give you my full attention (or, well, whatever amount of attention is necessary), I wouldn't be respectful if I picked up and just listened to you halfassed anyway. I usually talk best when I'm sitting around with little distraction.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Hell, If I can't give you my full attention (or, well, whatever amount of attention is necessary), I wouldn't be respectful if I picked up and just listened to you halfassed anyway. I usually talk best when I'm sitting around with little distraction.
    I think that's a good point I hadn't mentioned, but that I had kind of "felt my way through." I've sat on calls I wasn't really engaged with, and it really wasn't fair to either of us, I need to be able to devote my full attention to the other person when they call just to be considerate and also effective, so it's better to wait/plan a better time.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

All she ever wants to say is stuff like "Sign your time card." I'm not kidding. She calls to utter a one sentence imperative. I mean, she dances all around it, but that's the gist. What she actually does is more like, "Um ... Tilty ... um ... I was looking in the system, and ... um ... I noticed ... yeah ... it appears you have not signed your time card ... (Me: Right.) "So ... if you could just ... take care of that, that would be great... yeah, ok ... " (Me: Snoring)
    So if she's gonna call me I would rather have as a voice mail: Yo, Tilt, sign your time card.
    Instead I get "Call me back as soon as you get this, please," and then I have a heart attack thinking it's something dire and urgent, and we play phone tag, and when I find out why she called I'm pissed because it could have been a very brief voice mail.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    All she ever wants to say is stuff like "Sign your time card." I'm not kidding. She calls to utter a one sentence imperative. I mean, she dances all around it, but that's the gist. What she actually does is more like, "Um ... Tilty ... um ... I was looking in the system, and ... um ... I noticed ... yeah ... it appears you have not signed your time card ... (Me: Right.) "So ... if you could just ... take care of that, that would be great... yeah, ok ... " (Me: Snoring)
    So if she's gonna call me I would rather have as a voice mail: Yo, Tilt, sign your time card.
    Instead I get "Call me back as soon as you get this, please," and then I have a heart attack thinking it's something dire and urgent, and we play phone tag, and when I find out why she called I'm pissed because it could have been a very brief voice mail.

You may be underestimating the value managers place in their messages.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Bwahaha! Clearly!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I used to be a big voice mail user. I would get 30 voice mails a day. I remember at times recording and then changing the messages because I didn't like what I said and even doing that on occasion like three times. I almost never use it now. Voice mail just feels very awkward to me. I'll IM someone, find out when they are available and get them on the phone directly. Email is also a pretty inefficient way of communicating unless there are lots of people that are involved in the communication. I also don't do a very good job of listening to people's voice mails on my cell. I'll just call them back.

So, I can see why the person in the OP leaves a message for you to call them. They want to talk directly.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639