User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Default Changed Forum Dynamic

It struck me the other day that there were only 6 active ENTJs on the site at this point. I have a pretty good idea of why that is, but it's still kind of lame. There used to be a lot more ENTs around generally, actually. It was interesting coming back after a long hiatus from the forums and seeing how the dynamics had changed with a shift from a more NT dominated space to one which is apparently more NF (specifically NFP) centered. The enviornment is a lot more...personal, maybe? At the same time people seem to joke around less, discussion content is less theory-driven, and the arguments that do occur seem to be more clashes between personalities rather than clashes between ideas. I feel if I had come here now looking to learn more about theory in the way I had wanted two years ago, Id be harder pressed to do so. On the other hand, Ive established more meaningful relationships with others on the forum this time around than I did last time I was on the forums regularly. Perhaps it's just where Im at personally, but I think theres definitely been an evolution in the kind of experience the forum provides.

Anyways. Yeah. Random thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I had a lovely 1-on-1 conversation with someone on here the other day. Afterwards they said they were really surprised by the lovely conversation... because I seem so unapproachable. Do I really give off that vibe? I promise I'm friendly.
    You do occasionally have that ISTJ Klingon Warrior Princess thing happening. It takes a bit of closer inspection to see the fluffy.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth
    Likes Entropic, Sinmara liked this post

MBTI
    STUF

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    It struck me the other day that there were only 6 active ENTJs on the site at this point. I have a pretty good idea of why that is, but it's still kind of lame. There used to be a lot more ENTs around generally, actually. It was interesting coming back after a long hiatus from the forums and seeing how the dynamics had changed with a shift from a more NT dominated space to one which is apparently more NF (specifically NFP) centered. The enviornment is a lot more...personal, maybe? At the same time people seem to joke around less, discussion content is less theory-driven, and the arguments that do occur seem to be more clashes between personalities rather than clashes between ideas. I feel if I had come here now looking to learn more about theory in the way I had wanted two years ago, Id be harder pressed to do so. On the other hand, Ive established more meaningful relationships with others on the forum this time around than I did last time I was on the forums regularly. Perhaps it's just where Im at personally, but I think theres definitely been an evolution in the kind of experience the forum provides.

You do occasionally have that ISTJ Klingon Warrior Princess thing happening. It takes a bit of closer inspection to see the fluffy.
    The moderation have the power to redirect things, but they are not the most enthusiastic bunch we've had. Instead of killing threads, they need to remove posts that detract from constructive conversation, otherwise known as moderating. Most of my posts over the past few months have been specifically made to be distracting or off topic and nothing has been done. The only time something happens is when someone gets offended.

Whoops.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    The moderation have the power to redirect things, but they are not the most enthusiastic bunch we've had. Instead of killing threads, they need to remove posts that detract from constructive conversation, otherwise known as moderating. Most of my posts over the past few months have been specifically made to be distracting or off topic and nothing has been done. The only time something happens is when someone gets offended.
    Well, that goes back to my point. The politics of the site defintely seem to have a more NF/NFP sensibility to them lately. Correspondingly, mods probably are more apt to move something "offensive" rather than something off-topic because a) theyre more likely to get reports of the post, and b) threads even when on nominally intellectual/nonpersonal subjects seem to devolve into anecdote and subjective speculation anyways. So the incentives are just not there to really do much about off topic post, because, on the one hand, the dominant user group is less likely to complain about it, and, on the other, its prevalent enough that youre just plugging a dam with a bottle cork.

In my mind, this isnt a mod issue. Moderators are in place to uphold rules, not dictate culture or drive content. Now, Ive heard it argued that the mods decision to axe certain members who may have generated more heavy material in the past has contributed to the new dynamic Ive been describing. And its not implausible. Our communitys just small enough that losing a handful of key people is enough to cause a sea change. Again, not making a judgement here on whether it's good or bad, but things are different.

Anyways. Getting back to my point, if the mods arent doing something about otp's it's because the incentives arent there. Not trying to bash anyone or anything(I frankly think the mods get enough shit doing work thats basically thankless anyways).
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth
    Likes Entropic liked this post

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    Most of my posts over the past few months have been specifically made to be distracting or off topic and nothing has been done.
    Yes, we love members who create excessive amounts of tedious work for us for no reason other than being obnoxious.

It is true that we don't tend to moderate single off-topic posts unless they turn into a thread derail - a lot of that general policy has been based on feedback from the Ne crowd who like their random tangents. If it were up to me alone (and if I didn't care what most forum users like), I'd remove all that nonsense, although that would be a neverending job thanks to lovely people like yourself and so we would probably burn out and you'd get far more mod turnover, for better or worse.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

It may be more than a random thought and those are interesting observations. I have never seen many ENTJs here and have been on the forum for about 2 1/2 years. It does seem like there is not as much active ENTP involvement but that is just an impression. I started a thread here on the "theory driven" point a couple of years ago. So start more threads on that stuff!!!! I wonder how much of it is people browsing "today's posts" vs. going into subforums. Maybe there is a way to highlight some good content rich threads for those of us who are more into the theory. It would take some customization of the forum interface.

Well, that goes back to my point. The politics of the site defintely seem to have a more NF/NFP sensibility to them lately. Correspondingly, mods probably are more apt to move something "offensive" rather than something off-topic because a) theyre more likely to get reports of the post, and b) threads even when on nominally intellectual/nonpersonal subjects seem to devolve into anecdote and subjective speculation anyways. So the incentives are just not there to really do much about off topic post, because, on the one hand, the dominant user group is less likely to complain about it, and, on the other, its prevalent enough that youre just plugging a dam with a bottle cork.

In my mind, this isnt a mod issue. Moderators are in place to uphold rules, not dictate culture or drive content. Now, Ive heard it argued that the mods decision to axe certain members who may have generated more heavy material in the past has contributed to the new dynamic Ive been describing. And its not implausible. Our communitys just small enough that losing a handful of key people is enough to cause a sea change. Again, not making a judgement here on whether it's good or bad, but things are different.

Anyways. Getting back to my point, if the mods arent doing something about otp's it's because the incentives arent there. Not trying to bash anyone or anything(I frankly think the mods get enough shit doing work thats basically thankless anyways).
    It is true that the mod team relies on reported posts because they can't be in every thread. If something isn't bothering someone, it tends not to get acted on. One factoid that you might be interested in is that the mods do a lot of the reporting (like your posts here!). It only takes one person to report a post for it to be reviewed by several mods/admins.

I think your posts here are definitely off topic . It's not random enough. Splitting off to a separate thread.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

People come and go from forums all the time. Different people bring different perspectives. I think the overall mission and philosophy of the forum has stayed more or less constant but when the members change, inevitably some of the dynamics will.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Interesting to hear of this dynamic change, as I am a new user.

It seems that there seems to be some sort of idea going here that having a forum dominated by NFP results in fluffy, personal off-topic posts? In my experience on this forum so far, I've found most of the off-topic, tangential posting has come from scrutinizing details, spiraling theories, which from what I understand is more NT territory.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

NFPs screw everything up!

I've had people tell me the change is because only douchebags are active on the forum. Well maybe it wasn't those exact words. And it was more that the non-douchebags left.

Which obviously explains why I'm here.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

At the same time people seem to joke around less
    Do you mean less fluff and flirting? Because I'm okay with that. I remember having the desire to hand out warnings for people who started to bog down threads with un-funny and cutesy fluff banter. Otherwise I see the same jokesters here...at least the ones that haven't been banned. Or is that what you mean?

discussion content is less theory-driven
    I'm not sure what this means...that there is less reference to any theory at all? Or that people don't bring up stale MBTI theory arguments anymore? If the former, I'd have to disagree. If the latter, good.

and the arguments that do occur seem to be more clashes between personalities rather than clashes between ideas.
    That's quite an idealized vision of the past you've got here. It's always been primarily personality clashes. Always. Remember Sim? Or Jack Flack? Or, god forbid, SolitaryWalker? Unless you count their narcissistic and often nonsensical MBTI theory-crafting and subsequent arguing as "clashes of ideas," which, IMO, would be giving them far more dignity than they deserve.

I feel if I had come here now looking to learn more about theory in the way I had wanted two years ago, Id be harder pressed to do so.
    How do you mean?

theres definitely been an evolution in the kind of experience the forum provides.
    There have been mood shifts, of course, but I feel like it doesn't really have to do with forum members as discrete entities. Groups tend to take on a personality of their own after a while that is quite distinct from the individuals contained therein, and thus mood shifts happen quite often and are erratic and amorphous in nature. Hard to pin down on a forumer-type-composition explanation, at the very least. That's too reductionist for my taste.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Ginkgo

It probably means you understand the theories now and are waiting for personal reasons to leave again.