User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

The pattern you're seeing is that there's an 80 year cycle, of four 20 year "generations": The Survivors, Boomers, Silents, Builders. It was from Mike Regele Death of the Church, which was a message to the Church to be willing to change with the times, or it would become irrelevant. I had a whole write-up on this, but it was never used in any of my web pages, so I'll have to gather as much as I can from the book.

There are four generic names of the four generations for all cycles: "Idealists", "Reactives", "Civics" and "Adaptives".

The earlier Reactives were those who survived WWI, then became the "lost generation" of the 1920's. Then came the Builders (1901-24), who were the early 20th century generation who came out of the crisis as heroes, grew up and built most of the modern world. Riding on the heels of this are the Silents (1925-42), which are the generation who became progress "Blockers" when they came of age in the later half of the century. Then came the Boomers (1943-60), who were the pampered beneficiaries of the 50's. Afterward, you had the next "Reactive" group, which was Generation X (1961-81), which was said to become the new "lost generation" just like their turn-of-the-century great-great-grandparents. The Book speculated that the Millennials or Generation Y (1982-2003) as Civics would become the next Builders after massive disasters in the early 21st Century (The way things are playing out now, this seems to be spread out, though who knows).

The Builders and Millennials are both overly "protected" by their parents, and have an "inner"-directed focus that is "civic". The Silents were "suffocated", and deal in "crisis", and thus "adaptive". The Boomers were "indulged", of course, and turned to an "idealistic", "outer-directed" focus. The Survivors were then "criticized" (by their idealistic Boomer parents), and became the "reactive" cynics who lead "awakening" as they throw off the ways that came before them.

So what you're seeing in the similarities of the 50's with the 80's, is probably the Boomers being "indulged", and the Millennials being "protected", since their parents were the cynics who dealt with an increasingly difficult world. So the Boomers (Idealist) and Milennials (Civic) will have some similarities, as do the Silents (Adaptive) and Gen.X (Reactive)
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

WALMART

I may be mistaken, but wasn't the .com boom in the 90's a period of economic growth unrivaled in history?

I read it once, correct me if I'm wrong.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    The pattern you're seeing is that there's an 80 year cycle, of four 20 year "generations": The Survivors, Boomers, Silents, Builders. It was from Mike Regele Death of the Church, which was a message to the Church to be willing to change with the times, or it would become irrelevant. I had a whole write-up on this, but it was never used in any of my web pages, so I'll have to gather as much as I can from the book.

There are four generic names of the four generations for all cycles: "Idealists", "Reactives", "Civics" and "Adaptives".

The earlier Reactives were those who survived WWI, then became the "lost generation" of the 1920's. Then came the Builders (1901-24), who were the early 20th century generation who came out of the crisis as heroes, grew up and built most of the modern world. Riding on the heels of this are the Silents (1925-42), which are the generation who became progress "Blockers" when they came of age in the later half of the century. Then came the Boomers (1943-60), who were the pampered beneficiaries of the 50's. Afterward, you had the next "Reactive" group, which was Generation X (1961-81), which was said to become the new "lost generation" just like their turn-of-the-century great-great-grandparents. The Book speculated that the Millennials or Generation Y (1982-2003) as Civics would become the next Builders after massive disasters in the early 21st Century (The way things are playing out now, this seems to be spread out, though who knows).

The Builders and Millennials are both overly "protected" by their parents, and have an "inner"-directed focus that is "civic". The Silents were "suffocated", and deal in "crisis", and thus "adaptive". The Boomers were "indulged", of course, and turned to an "idealistic", "outer-directed" focus. The Survivors were then "criticized" (by their idealistic Boomer parents), and became the "reactive" cynics who lead "awakening" as they throw off the ways that came before them.

So what you're seeing in the similarities of the 50's with the 80's, is probably the Boomers being "indulged", and the Millennials being "protected", since their parents were the cynics who dealt with an increasingly difficult world. So the Boomers (Idealist) and Milennials (Civic) will have some similarities, as do the Silents (Adaptive) and Gen.X (Reactive)
    Okay this is interesting, so what I am pointing to is "protected" which lasted for the last few decades, not just the 80's babies. I was actually mostly raised by Silent adapters, though my parents were Boomer idealists. I tend to think my parents generation in many ways was over-indulged, which is funny, I tend to think of them as kind of an immature generation and they worship themselves so much, and I even made a thread about the Boomers here in response to someone saying something about "kids today" and I'm just like, well what about the Baby Boomers who used like half of the world's resource within their lifetime and think they deserve to live to be 170?

I would think the 50's were more like the 90's/early-2k (calm before the storm.)
    While the late 40's and early 50's were more like the 80's (the calm after the storm.)

So in some case, 40-50's and 80-90's were similar.

Throughout the 50's, we see many precursors to what led to the 60's.
    Very much like in the 90's, we see many precursors that led to where we are today.

The 1950's and Brown vs. Board of Education.
    The making of the WWW in the 90's and the Digital Revolution.
    We wouldn't even believe how big these two events would of transformed the future if they would have never happened in the first place.

Do I think these two scores are similar? Yes. My time going from elementary to high school was dramatically different than my older siblings. All the bad things that they have told me about when I was a kid... they never happened or that they were...RARE. Of course my family, as a whole, had a better living environment by the time I was born. Probably because the 60's rage finally died out and all the bad GenX() people were finally out of grade school.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Okay this is interesting, so what I am pointing to is "protected" which lasted for the last few decades, not just the 80's babies. I was actually mostly raised by Silent adapters, though my parents were Boomer idealists. I tend to think my parents generation in many ways was over-indulged, which is funny, I tend to think of them as kind of an immature generation and they worship themselves so much, and I even made a thread about the Boomers here in response to someone saying something about "kids today" and I'm just like, well what about the Baby Boomers who used like half of the world's resource within their lifetime and think they deserve to live to be 170?
    "Do as I say, not as I do." is their mantra.

Think of all the things the Boomers did in the 60-70's. Now, think of all the laws they created/are-creating to prevent people from doing those things today.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I may be mistaken, but wasn't the .com boom in the 90's a period of economic growth unrivaled in history?

I read it once, correct me if I'm wrong.
    Yes, it was when the stock market went past 10.5k.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    I would think the 50's were more like the 90's/early-2k (calm before the storm.)
    While the late 40's and early 50's were more like the 80's (the calm after the storm.)

So in some case, 40-50's and 80-90's were similar.

Throughout the 50's, we see many precursors to what led to the 60's.
    Very much like in the 90's, we see many precursors that led to where we are today.

The 1950's and Brown vs. Board of Education.
    The making of the WWW in the 90's and the Digital Revolution.
    We wouldn't even believe how big these two events would of transformed the future if they would have never happened in the first place.

Do I think these two scores are similar? Yes. My time going from elementary to high school was dramatically different than my older siblings. All the bad things that they have told me about when I was a kid... they never happened or that they were...RARE. Of course my family, as a whole, had a better living environment by the time I was born. Probably because the 60's rage finally died out and all the bad GenX() people were finally out of grade school.
    How old are you?

I think my school time was very innocent compared to now, we could even walk off of campus when I was in high school, but I also went to school in the South which probably retained a slightly safer atmosphere a little later.

"Do as I say, not as I do." is their mantra.

Think of all the things the Boomers did in the 60-70's. Now, think of all the laws they created/are-creating to prevent people from doing those things today.
    I just ask myself "who were the first people to glamourize drug use? who were the first people to abandon their children or raise their children in single parent homes in large numbers?" ...and these same people, as I said, used an outrageous number of natural resources in their lifetimes, you can actually see the jump from mid-century until now in the Western world, these people guzzled gas, created mega corps...these people built the world I hate. The Boomers are the people who ruined capitalism and turned into into corporatism.

Sure, they had the civil rights movement and the 2nd wave of feminism/gay rights, but it's like they want to act like their shit doesn't stink because of these social elements...what about the rest of the horseshit you assholes created for the younger generations to clean up?

I love my mother, but as a generality, I'm not particularly fond of the Boomers because of their arrogance, because of their smug sense of superiority and pride, as they did just as much harm as they did good.

I honestly prefer older generations and the younger ones.

How old are you?

I think my school time was very innocent compared to now, we could even walk off of campus when I was in high school, but I also went to school in the South which probably retained a slightly safer atmosphere a little later.
    The year before the 90's started O.-. 23

So I was pretty much still in grade school... right until the beginning signs of the financial meltdown.

It wasn't stuffy in grade school, but there were consequences for skipping school. I mean... they called your home every time you are not in school for that day and took some form of action if you repeatedly not get to school.

I refused to go to the middle school and high school 5 minutes from my house because that school was ghetto (my neighborhood practically divided the line between ghetto and not-so-ghetto and the schools I went were away from the ghetto.)

It was... actually quite safe compared to the other schools. My school experience just wasn't like how my siblings talked about theirs probably because of my school choice.

But, it isn't as stuffy as it is today. I mean, god, my niece and her schoolmates openly tell people no bullying.

I just ask myself "who were the first people to glamourize drug use? who were the first people to abandon their children or raise their children in single parent homes in large numbers?" ...and these same people, as I said, used an outrageous number of natural resources in their lifetimes, you can actually see the jump from mid-century until now in the Western world, these people guzzled gas, created mega corps...these people built the world I hate. The Boomers are the people who ruined capitalism and turned into into corporatism.

Sure, they had the civil rights movement and the 2nd wave of feminism/gay rights, but it's like they want to act like their shit doesn't stink because of these social elements...what about the rest of the horseshit you assholes created for the younger generations to clean up?

I love my mother, but as a generality, I'm not particularly fond of the Boomers because of their arrogance, because of their smug sense of superiority and pride, as they did just as much harm as they did good.

I honestly prefer older generations and the younger ones.
    The one thing they don't know how to do is work together. There is a lot of hypocrisy in the statements that they pursue. There are a lot of great things, and they are none of it (Yes, I am willing to make that loaded statement.)

I would even believe that if people our age were in charge (magically turn all of us at their age,) we would have better schools, better landlines, better roads, better work at home (instead of outsourcing,) lean but mean military, good funding for medical for all people (while remaining solvent,) better government. I mean, I would think our country would modernize 10 times it is currently.

They are still doing much harm right now as they have been for more than a decade. They can't even get their priorities straight. And when they do work together, it is all because they are doing it for the wrong reasons.

There is so much Greed up there at the expense of others, it is sickening.

It is why people need to stop remaining so passive about government (and Wall Street) and start doing something about it. Start talking to people about it, start flagging posters around the city about it, and start forming groups in your city about it. If we allow those type of people to get away with injustice, it is a sure sign that they are willing to do more injustice.

Until we can speak loudly about Citizens United and the other countless laws they have created or amended, they will just keep doing it. Until we can get a constitutional amendment to Citizens United, we will just keep seeing the $$$ get into politics.

Until they can stop making money at the expense of people, they will keep doing it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah it's pretty scary that these people grew up in a time of unprecedented wealth and opportunity, and that some of them believe that the world is exactly as it was when they were young. Sure, they did good things, but considering all the money and resources they had at their fingertips, I think they could have done better. Apparently they've become everything they said they hated, too, which is more than a bit ironic.

So ladies and gentleman you've trashed our environment and concentrated all the money into small numbers of people's hands, you've done a real bang up job.

And there's going to be so many of them who are old, I'm not looking forward to it. I can't trust myself to go anywhere into medicine or I might start doing death panels on the boomers as they age. I have this weird feeling like they tried to take and keep everything for themselves, in a material sense, but also including credit for saving the world.

I mean the Republican party got uglier and uglier (see article posted earlier in thread) and America got more corporatized as the Baby Boomers proceeded into middle age. These people are roughly between the ages of 48 and 65 now, so they're pretty powerful, and they're CLEARLY responsible for large swaths of what has occurred in the U.S. in the past twenty to thirty years.

I feel like the Silent generation, the generation before them, had such great initiative and such good cooperation skills...these were the people - them and the generations just before them, the "the Lost Generation" and the Builders (haven't heard of that one) ...these are the people who built America, who created the prosperity the Boomers enjoyed. These are the people who practiced real capitalism in small business and family-owned business.

Of course I am not including the robber barons of the 19th century in this, btw.

Then the Baby Boomers came along like a bunch of five year olds coloring on the walls, that's frankly how I feel about them.

In truth they did some good things, but that's all they seem to want to take credit for, and it's wearing quite thin for me, you can't keep talking about how wonderful you are compared to the younger generations and the older generation before you, meanwhile trashing the Earth and the economy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I just want to add that I know all Baby Boomers aren't bad, of course, but as a generation I don't consider them exceptionally wonderful, empathetic, or rock stars, and I get tired of the praise they give themselves while many of them have been busy destroying the United States just to have things their way, like fat spoiled children. I feel like they built the ugly America, the tacky America, the embarrassing America that foreigners make fun of us for. The America that was admired by the world was build by the generations born before them.

And of course some Boomers are a little more like Gen X, which accounts for some of the cutting edge electronic music in the early 80's, I think this was probably the youngest Boomers who were on the cusp of Gen X.

I say this in sympathy being someone on the cusp of Gen X/Gen Y depending on what year is cast, and what yard stick is used.

You can't hold it against an individual what "their generation" was up to, but I direct my ire toward the Baby Boomers as a group, not as particular individuals. For example, Hillary Clinton is fabulous.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

This thread is pointless, the only thing that seemed to have happened in the 1980's was, for some reason, a revival into 1950's retro.

It's like me saying, the 1960's and the 2000's were the same because of the drugs and the war on terror vs. the drugs and Viet nam.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I don't think you understood what the thread was about.