User Tag List

123 Last

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Default Is being slightly above average the worst position to be in?

Ive been thinking about this for a while now and it doesn't necessarily pertain to me since im not above average.

But ive noticed that while the truely gifted can sometimes be extremely ostracised and find themselves all alone, often their intelligence can make up for it and project them into unforseen heights of success, (depending on how you rate success of course).

However those who are only slightly above others in their intelligence, might often find there is no outlet for them, no future and no real options. The reason I say that is from what ive observed such people are just intelligent enough to feel apart from those around them but not so intelligent that they can break free of the same trappings that most people find themselves in.

Such a person might even have to suffer a horrible, torturous existance because they are knowledgeable enough to know that they will never reach the heights that others are able to.....and therefore they remain forever tormented by a crystal clear view of their own limitations.

Thoughts?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

You are absolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post

You are absolved.
    Ah I love that film, good answer actually! In a way I was thinking of people like him.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

I always imagined the worst position to be would be a coma.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    That is not very imaginative: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1542344/combined

Well yeah, we can all play the ridiculously hyperbolic contexuality of things which are potentially worse in a deliberately faecitious and literal manner....but I felt that people would be mature enough to understand the point.

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    STUF

I think that if they had the awareness of their position, that any person would be capable of working to "correct" it, it's pretty rare that anyone has gifts that make them so far superior to other people that it takes no work to be exceedingly "successful". Whenever you hear mention of a great person, It's pretty rare that anyone comments on the immense amount of work they do to get themselves there. I would say that the state of mind of the person you are describing is more of an issue than their own perceived limitations.

Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    I think that if they had the awareness of their position, that any person would be capable of working to "correct" it, it's pretty rare that anyone has gifts that make them so far superior to other people that it takes no work to be exceedingly "successful". Whenever you hear mention of a great person, It's pretty rare that anyone comments on the immense amount of work they do to get themselves there. I would say that the state of mind of the person you are describing is more of an issue than their own perceived limitations.

Well I didnt mean to imply that genius does not involve a great deal of hard work as well, but there is a spark that some people possess.

Even having a vision of how best to use that hard work is still genius from a certain angle. Most people will probably never know what they want in their entire lives.

- A.A. Milne.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Well yeah, we can all play the ridiculously hyperbolic contexuality of things which are potentially worse in a deliberately faecitious and literal manner....but I felt that people would be mature enough to understand the point.

It was this point...

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Such a person might even have to suffer a horrible, torturous existance because they are knowledgeable enough to know that they will never reach the heights that others are able to.....and therefore they remain forever tormented by a crystal clear view of their own limitations.

Thoughts?
    It just sounds pretentious.

I don't think that it is the worst position to be at all. The worst position would be a coma because in some cases people are aware but unable to interact with the world around them. Which is exactly the same thing you are talking about in the original post.

It was this point...

It just sounds pretentious.

I don't think that it is the worst position to be at all. The worst position would be a coma because in some cases people are aware but unable to interact with the world around them. Which is exactly the same thing you are talking about in the original post.
    And your point sounded glib. The difference is a coma may or may not go away and it is uncertain as to why or how you might fall into one. The original point stays with that person their entire life.

Of course there are also things like permanent disabilities, which im surprised no one mentioned yet as to me I can see why they would also be terrible and potentially inescapable positions to be in.
    The problem is that whenever I go to post here I normally have to consider far too many different ways in which something ive said could be intepreted, but lately ive been trying not to because I hate having to go into ridiculous specifics on the context especially when to me it seems obvious.

So ok ill perhaps ask for this topic to be retitled: Is being slightly above average the worst position to be in? Excluding coma's and permanent disabilities and death and being infirm and old and being sexually abused or sold into slavery....

See my point? If I were to take the time to quibble over such things id never get any point started. Hence my original reply to you on how anyone can just point out the myriad number of examples that could objectively be seen to be worse.

It was meant to be outside of those of ill health. It annoys me that I have to explain things like this.

Interesting you mentioned pretention though, it's something im obsessed with seeing as how I am pretentious but I end up trying to waylay it so it doesn't irritate the swarms of people who dislike anything which could appear pretentious, im afraid I slipped up there.

My post's need more fucks and shits and shoulds and oughts.

- A.A. Milne.