User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

In what way is this ever an issue?

I mean I'm trying to understand what you're talking about and why..
    So say Theres a job interview. 3 people 1 of which is way more intelligent than the others. The other two are much closer but one is slightly more... And he doesn't get the job...due to his superior intelligence he is more cognizant Of the ways in which he was slighted?? But at that point... When you're comparing two people one if which is slightly above average intellectually... You likely look at other factors... Like personality... Which one is more likable? Is one more articulate? Nicer looking? Etc etc?? So Mr big ego slightly above average guy maybe not so smart if he doesnt get that other factors were at play.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I think this is sidestepping the issue.

I don't think many actually understand what the OP is talking about.
    I imagined it to be like some sort of purgatory.

The situation the OP described is almost exactly how I feel. I can always seem to identify an issue, but never quite get to an answer. This ambiguousness can feel quite hopeless. I imagine it is what depression actually feels like.

The ideal would probably be being able to push yourself out of this and recognizing that if you can see the problem you have enough of ability to fix it, but it's like recognizing that the problem exists, but it is only blurry and a low numbing feeling. It is not clarity, not enough of an ability to see clearly.

Attacking the issue then becomes nearly impossible. Because what do you attack?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I sang in a band a few year back that had an awesome drummer. I was still getting to know everyone and we had an especially good gig so the next day I told him how great I thought he was playing and wondered if he had done "bigger" things than what we were doing now.

He said, "PB, it doesn't matter if I'm in the top 1% or even top 0.1% of drummers, the professionals out there are in the top 0.001% and that's somewhere I will likely never be."

I think about him saying that from time to time; it's a thought that has stayed with me since. It came to me in the context of reading this thread.

So, perhaps in some ways it's harder to be in that position rather than only "slightly above average".
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by momental View Post
    I imagined it to be like some sort of purgatory.

The situation the OP described is almost exactly how I feel. I can always seem to identify an issue, but never quite get to an answer. This ambiguousness can feel quite hopeless. I imagine it is what depression actually feels like.

The ideal would probably be being able to push yourself out of this and recognizing that if you can see the problem you have enough of ability to fix it, but it's like recognizing that the problem exists, but it is only blurry and a low numbing feeling. It is not clarity, not enough of an ability to see clearly.

Attacking the issue then becomes nearly impossible. Because what do you attack?
    There is nothing to attack, you have to reframe your worldview. This:

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Such a person might even have to suffer a horrible, torturous existance because they are knowledgeable enough to know that they will never reach the heights that others are able to.....and therefore they remain forever tormented by a crystal clear view of their own limitations.
    has no answer to it other than to change the question.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

There is nothing to attack, you have to reframe your worldview. This:

has no answer to it other than to change the question.
    That's interesting, how does a person go about that?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    That's interesting, how does a person go about that?
    Abandon wanting the heights, figure out what you can do realistically and go for that.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Abandon wanting the heights, figure out what you can do realistically and go for that.
    That makes sense. *Resists urge to make contrarian comment about not being able to do even the most basic things sucessfully because that would be stupid to mention and makes it sound like I dont want an answer*
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Of course saying that and doing it are two different things.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

what about dynamics. is someone who manages to stay slightly above average for along time maybe aint so bad at all ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

ReflecTcelfeR

That's why I was saying be reasonable....